996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New Owner, New User.... New issues!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 12:02 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 790 Posts

The Solenoid isn't "$1000.00 plus" - that'd be the actuator... The Solenoid is only a couple hundred $. The problem is, on the early M96 the cam cover has to be removed to replace the solenoid (not the gasket though...). If you're not doing the project yourself, the labor will be exorbitant!
Old 01-15-2019, 12:15 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 738 Likes on 383 Posts

Just talked to my friend, he doesn't know of an indy Porsche person in Zurich. He suggested checking to see if there's a Porsche club there in Zurich and asking them.

Good Luck!
Old 01-15-2019, 04:51 PM
jobyt
Pro

Received 306 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
The Solenoid isn't "$1000.00 plus" - that'd be the actuator... The Solenoid is only a couple hundred $. The problem is, on the early M96 the cam cover has to be removed to replace the solenoid (not the gasket though...). If you're not doing the project yourself, the labor will be exorbitant!
Yep, that is what I was referencing. Parts and labor (unless you are comfortable dropping the engine or pulling the camshaft cover yourself) will easily exceed $1,000.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:37 PM
jcompleto
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by De Jeeper
Very jealous of your location. I spent a week in May touring southern germany and looping though switzerland. It was one of the nicest places i have ever been. We traveled around lake Bodensee Obersee and had lunch at a little marina in Arbon. My only suggestion would be to go to the V8 Motorsport Hotel in Bobligen and check out the classic cars if u have time to kill while your car is getting worked on.
yes, it is indeed an awesome place. lots of nice roads to drive and enjoy the scenery. I’ll take some photos as soon as the snow melts

Originally Posted by Mark I
jcompleto, Als vorschlag, könntest du bei Google eine unabhängige Porsche Werkstatt ausfindig machen. Ich habe einige in deiner gegend schon gefunden – zum beispiel: https://www.jpvogt.ch/ . Leider bin ich 600km entfernt, aber wenn ich weiter helfen könnte, ich bin ereichbar über whatsapp +49-152 29015456 Viel Gluck u. geniess dein neues auto!
thank you. I’ll take a look - good tip.

Originally Posted by jobyt
That oil leak is likely the variocam solenoid cover and seal. $20 part at the dealership and took an hour to do. Be VERY careful with the wire when working around that area as it will turn into a $1,000+ repair to replace the solenoid if you damage the wire. The connection is a simple rubber boot cover near the top of the head.
well, let’s hope for the best

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
Just talked to my friend, he doesn't know of an indy Porsche person in Zurich. He suggested checking to see if there's a Porsche club there in Zurich and asking them.

Good Luck!
thank you very much for this. The porsche club makes sense. There’s a Porsche in every corner around Zurich, so I bet that there’s some clubs around,

Originally Posted by jobyt
Yep, that is what I was referencing. Parts and labor (unless you are comfortable dropping the engine or pulling the camshaft cover yourself) will easily exceed $1,000.
I’m no stranger to diy, but dropping the engine is out of my reach and I don’t have the tools nor the space required...

I’m now looking forward for some better weather to take it out for a spin and see how the old lady stacks against my modern, but almost 200kg heavier BMW M2...
Old 01-15-2019, 06:40 PM
jcompleto
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Elumere
As a fellow Swiss (though living in the US), nice car! Love the color, the wheels are totally fine. I’m kinda jealous to not have my 996 in Switzerland whenever I visit for some nice drives in the alps, along the mediterranean, etc.

happy to let you take it out for a spin when you’re around
Old 01-15-2019, 07:18 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Originally Posted by jcompleto
I’m now looking forward for some better weather to take it out for a spin and see how the old lady stacks against my modern, but almost 200kg heavier BMW M2...

I came from a highly modified BMW 135i.(2009 N54 with 500 RWHP)
The BMW 135i was a LOT faster than the 996 in a straight line, and it rode a lot smoother too...
...but the 996 has SO much more soul!
The 996 was so much fun that I sold the BMW because I stopped driving it.
The 996 has instant torque which is nice, but the BMW's Stage 2 twin turbos would have caught up quickly.
But there something about the Porsche that makes it SO much more fun to drive, even in stop and go traffic!
Old 01-21-2019, 05:33 PM
jcompleto
8th Gear

So, it's now a while I have my Ocean Blue 996 C2. The paint was really in a very bad shape, so spent around 5 hours today trying to recover her glory. Realised that the paint is quite hard and had to apply Meguiar's Ultimate Compound with an abrasive pad in the double action polisher to see some results. Finally I got good results, and is now at 85% of it's glory. Protected with Swissvax wax and when summer comes, will take a better action on it. At least now looks good again.

Winter wheels are now on. Don't really like them... but they were for free with new tyres.

Sitting next to other toys... for big boys

Next step... a fresh service.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:01 PM
Battery Guy
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

It is funny that by today's standards a M2 is a small car. Parked next to the 996 it is huge. My daily driver is a 335iGT which looks like a monster next to the Porsche.
I kind of like your winter wheels... Your car and your country is beautiful!
Daryll
Old 01-21-2019, 06:31 PM
parris
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

you did a great job with the paint... it looks pristine!

Great car!
Old 01-21-2019, 06:53 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Originally Posted by Battery Guy
It is funny that by today's standards a M2 is a small car. Parked next to the 996 it is huge. My daily driver is a 335iGT which looks like a monster next to the Porsche.
I kind of like your winter wheels... Your car and your country is beautiful!
Daryll
When I was hopping for my 996, my wife asked if it was going to fit into our garage.
I told her it was slightly narrower than the BMW 135i.
They're within 2 inches (5cm) of each other.
The M2 and 1M are quite a bit wider than the 135i.
Probably another 1.5 inch. (3.5cm)
My guess is it is about a 3.5 inch (8cm) difference between the 996 and the M2.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:04 PM
Battery Guy
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
When I was hopping for my 996, my wife asked if it was going to fit into our garage.
I told her it was slightly narrower than the BMW 135i.
They're within 2 inches (5cm) of each other.
The M2 and 1M are quite a bit wider than the 135i.
Probably another 1.5 inch. (3.5cm)
My guess is it is about a 3.5 inch (8cm) difference between the 996 and the M2.
Yes - and look at the height difference in the picture! My three series looks like it is from another planet parked next to the 996. And the funny thing is that I never considered the 996 a particularly small car either. But cars seem to be growing again - I guess they figure that they have to haul around overweight baby boomers now! Even the 991/992 are huge compared to 996/997 cars.

Quick Reply: New Owner, New User.... New issues!!