996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

GPS Tracker

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 10:55 AM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 741 Likes on 385 Posts

Try this, no battery connection, hide it anywhere...

Link to GPS tracker
The following users liked this post:
Ratchet1025 (06-09-2021)
Old 01-13-2019, 11:24 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

unless you literally leave your keys in the car, the car is hard to steal through hotwiring it. Not to mention, lets be honest, these arent 100+k cars with a high theft rate. Being in the ATL metro area you are gajillion more times likely to be car jacked than have your car stolen when unattended.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:34 AM
Debo18D
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

So you have stated alot of covert needs in your project. Like "nobody can know" and "don't trust the installer". Also that you want to alert you and then ability to possibly turn it on when it gets to its location. For theft prevention, I think knowing that a car can be tracked is a deterrent to the actual theft. That being said, it sounds like you are more likely trying to surreptitiously and covertly track who is in the vehicle and where they are going when you aren't in the car with them. Might get more useful answers if you ohrase it that way. If that is the case, an old iphone is probably the best bet. It is cheap and once you get the answer you need you can take it out and not be paying a monthly subscription.
​​​​​​

Good luck with your search,

Debo sends.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:49 AM
TechSavvySam
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Debo18D
That being said, it sounds like you are more likely trying to surreptitiously and covertly track who is in the vehicle and where they are going when you aren't in the car with them. Might get more useful answers if you ohrase it that way. .
Not sure where you got that idea--maybe you need to watch less ID Channel because you are hearing hoofbeats and thinking unicorns... My wife can't even drive a manual and I trust her completely. I would only care about where she is if she went missing.

This came up mostly because I might have to put my car in storage while I'm doing some remodeling for a while and I'd actually like to know if the car was moved. Say I didn't go check the storage for a few weeks and somewhere along the way it was stolen--there would be zero chance of recovery.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:51 AM
TechSavvySam
Racer

"don't trust the installer".
​​​​​​Debo sends.
fake news! I didn't ever say that.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:52 AM
TechSavvySam
Racer

Originally Posted by RngTrtl
unless you literally leave your keys in the car, the car is hard to steal through hotwiring it. Not to mention, lets be honest, these arent 100+k cars with a high theft rate. Being in the ATL metro area you are gajillion more times likely to be car jacked than have your car stolen when unattended.
Me and Springfield Armory have got that part covered.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:03 AM
PerPerez
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you have stated alot of covert needs in your project. Like "nobody can know" and "don't trust the installer". Also that you want to alert you and then ability to possibly turn it on when it gets to its location. For theft prevention, I think knowing that a car can be tracked is a deterrent to the actual theft. That being said, it sounds like you are more likely trying to surreptitiously and covertly track who is in the vehicle and where they are going when you aren't in the car with them. Might get more useful answers if you ohrase it that way. If that is the case, an old iphone is probably the best bet. It is cheap and once you get the answer you need you can take it out and not be paying a monthly subscription.
​​​​​​
Good luck with your search,
Debo sends.
The anti-theft GPS function can indeed be achieved by using an old mobile phone. However, such a device is easily found by thieves and throws it out of the window. In this case, how far can you track your car? This is the reason for the existence of the hidden GPS tracker for car. A hidden GPS is much cheaper than a new car, isn't it?
Old 08-21-2019, 11:34 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 393 Likes on 292 Posts

Spot Tracker they make a vehicle one, they were running a special..

I have the hiking version its very accurate. (Inches accurate)

Smaller than a pack of cigarettes..
www.findmespot.com
The following users liked this post:
Ratchet1025 (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 04:18 AM
speedyanderson
Banned

<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->If you are thinking about the best car tracker that can give you real time information, you can check out Infiniti Tracking. Their GPS tracker system are very innovative and you can even check the status of your vehicle via your mobile phone. They can even install it for you! They are one of the best choices if you are looking for vehicle security.
Old 06-11-2021, 05:27 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
Who doesn't?

My nightly routine:
Lock front door, peek at 996 when locking garage door, let dogs out, peek at 996 again, let dogs in, lock back door, turn off lights, peek at 996 once more, get in bed and dream of driving my 996.
And by bed, you mean the driver's seat, right?
Old 06-11-2021, 05:50 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Just my 2 cents. You're in GA, so the vehicle will automatically be deemed a salvage if it's recovered. It might be worthwhile to look into an agreed value insurance policy. If the car is stolen, no big deal. Just collect your check. I know the 996 qualifies for Hagerty's Guaranteed Value insurance.
Old 06-12-2021, 11:22 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,711 Likes on 876 Posts

Originally Posted by sweet victory
It might be worthwhile to look into an agreed value insurance policy. If the car is stolen, no big deal. Just collect your check. I know the 996 qualifies for Hagerty's Guaranteed Value insurance.
Could you share what the qualifications were for this? I've been meaning to look into this option but my car is my daily (which ironically I don't drive as a daily) and it's my only car at the moment.
With regards to GPS trackers, if you're an iPhone user, the new AirTag is a hard to beat option at $29. It's already being adapted to bicycles so why not your car? Just toss it into the glove box or another storage compartments and done.
Old 06-13-2021, 01:26 AM
TheUnscented
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts

State Farm also does agreed value now. Classic car rates, full protection.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:09 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by plpete84
Could you share what the qualifications were for this? I've been meaning to look into this option but my car is my daily (which ironically I don't drive as a daily) and it's my only car at the moment.
With regards to GPS trackers, if you're an iPhone user, the new AirTag is a hard to beat option at $29. It's already being adapted to bicycles so why not your car? Just toss it into the glove box or another storage compartments and done.
Just go through this quoting process:

Exotic & Import Car Insurance | Newer Vehicle Qualifications (hagerty.com)

Last time I filled it out, there was a checkbox for daily drivers.
Old 07-08-2021, 09:50 AM
greatwillgps
2nd Gear

Default Great-Will:Features and benefits of GPS locator tracker

Functions and advantages of GPS location tracker

1. GPS location tracker: It is a GPS satellite location tracking terminal based on GPRS (data flow) + SMS (short message) communication mode. It adopts the GSM public network with high stability guarantee, and completely absorbs all the characteristics of this communication method. It has the advantages of fast response speed, always online, and billing according to traffic.

2. Product types:

A handheld tracker suitable for personal use, easy to carry.

A vehicle-mounted tracker suitable for cars, remotely cut off oil and power, and recommended for anti-theft.

3. Positioning system: The global GPS satellite positioning system keeps track of precise positioning 24 hours a day.

4. Product advantages: You can query the current location through SMS, or log in to the GPS platform system to know their location data at any time, including latitude and longitude, speed, direction, power, temperature, etc.

5. SOS alarm: SOS emergency alarm refers to the emergency alarm sent by the GPS tracker holder to the supervising mobile phone. So as to achieve the role of emergency call for help.

6. Position movement alarm: In the fortified state, once the GPS tracker is moved more than 300-500 meters, it will automatically send an alarm to the supervisory mobile phone, so as to achieve vehicle anti-theft, personnel monitoring and other functions.

7. Low battery alarm: When the GPS tracker battery is lower than 10%, it will automatically send a low battery alarm to the supervising mobile phone.

8. Speeding alarm: When the moving speed of the GPS tracker exceeds the upper limit, it will automatically send a speeding alarm to the supervising mobile phone. Note: The upper speed limit can only be set through our company's online GPS tracking system.

9. Vibration alarm: In the defense state, if the vehicle is abnormally vibrated, an alarm will be triggered. Send the alarm information to the owner's mobile phone.

10. Cross-border alarm: Through our company's GPS monitoring system, the active area of ​​the GPS tracker can be delineated, referred to as electronic fence. When the GPS tracker goes beyond the designated area, it will automatically send a cross-border alarm to the supervising mobile phone.

11. The GPS tracker manager can track and monitor moving targets in real time through the platform, monitor current speed, direction, driving distance, driving time, etc., automatically record driving trajectories, and users can play historical movement trajectories.

Quick Reply: GPS Tracker