996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Squeaking/Squealing Above 25mph

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 11:55 AM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

Loose under tray funneling wind maybe? Do you have those plastic Gt3 brake ducts that divert air to the rotors? If you do, any cracks?
Old 01-10-2019, 12:00 PM
JoeyCapranica
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It’s virtually impossible to get the sound on recording. The only recording device I have is my iPhone and it picks up all the sounds other than the one I’m trying to record very well. So I have video with the sound, but one can just barely hear it over all the other driving noises. It’s extremely frustrating. I drove to Home Depot this morning to get bunjie cords so I can take the front caliper off today. It didn’t make the sound until I was almost back home, but I’m pretty sure now that it’s at the front passenger side and it’s not wind related. Hopefully I find it when I get the rotor off.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:02 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

I was getting the same loud squealing sound. Drove about 10 miles, pulled into a parking lot, and the sound was still happening even with the car parked and turned off. Look under the car and my cat was snuggled up in there. Guess to keep warm? Crazy animal! Bet it freaked out driving down the road. Heck, I about had heart failure too when I first heard it.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:31 PM
JoeyCapranica
Instructor

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
I was getting the same loud squealing sound. Drove about 10 miles, pulled into a parking lot, and the sound was still happening even with the car parked and turned off. Look under the car and my cat was snuggled up in there. Guess to keep warm? Crazy animal! Bet it freaked out driving down the road. Heck, I about had heart failure too when I first heard it.
There’s a cat that my mom has been feeding in her neighborhood and while I was there the cat and I bonded (she walked on my car once, which I wasn’t too happy about, but she only did it the one time out of curiosity I suppose). I am terrified of the possibility that I’ll go to leave from my mom’s house and the cat will be under a wheel or something. I would be horrified if I found a cat, even if it wasn’t mine, anywhere in my car.

I removed the caliper and rotor, inspected, and reinstalled everything. I didn’t see anything at all that looked even slightly off. Everything on this car looks exactly the way it should. I went out for a test drive and the sound is gone.

My only guess is that there was something in between one of the pads and their guide rails (whatever those things are called). I wiped all the surfaces and blew the brake dust out of everything I could, but I seriously doubt that’s what fixed the problem. It also could’ve been the piston(s) sticking, as was mentioned in an earlier post by Splitting Atoms, and compressing the pistons to get the caliper off of the rotor may have unstuck it/them.

Kind of anticlimactic. I wish I knew exactly what it was, but at least there was a fix. Removing and a cursory cleaning of the caliper and rotor seem to have resolved the issue. I’ll update the thread if the sound comes back.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:55 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

I had a rabbit nestle in behind the wheel of my moving truck parked on dirt...It was sad as my partner called me a few minutes later to tell me what he found. I turned around and rushed it to the Humane society but it was to far gone to save.
With that said, most will run once you start the car.
Lost my cat as a child when my dad started the big V* and the cat was sleeping in the engine bay though.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:26 PM
JoeyCapranica
Instructor

Originally Posted by 808Bill
I had a rabbit nestle in behind the wheel of my moving truck parked on dirt...It was sad as my partner called me a few minutes later to tell me what he found. I turned around and rushed it to the Humane society but it was to far gone to save.
With that said, most will run once you start the car.
Lost my cat as a child when my dad started the big V* and the cat was sleeping in the engine bay though.
Luckily the only time I’ve ever had an animal under my car they’ve ran when I started it.

The sound came back today. I took it out to just drive it and after a few spirited corners, it started squeaking again. I’m sure it’s on the right front wheel now and it’s probably nothing more serious than a build up of brake dust getting caught around the pads or something like that. I’ll report back if I find anything new.

Quick Reply: Squeaking/Squealing Above 25mph