Sponsored by:

Squeaking/Squealing Above 25mph

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 09:52 AM
JoeyCapranica
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Squeaking/Squealing Above 25mph

Since I have found nothing else on the internet about this, I decided to start a thread in case anyone else has this problem.

I have a squeaking/squealing coming from the right side of the car. I know it’s coming from that side because I can barely hear it on the other side. I think it’s coming from the rear, but I can’t really tell. The only time I can hear the sound is when the car is in motion. It starts kind of chirping at 20-25mph, then by 30-35mph it’s at its full frequency and volume. It’s a constant high pitched squeaking with the cadence of an engine turning over but not starting.

The sound is not affected by: the clutch being depressed or not, engine speed, gear (any gear, in or out of gear), brake pedal, ebrake, windows up or down, spoiler up or down, vehicle speed (once above 30mph), turning, or anything else I could think of to try. It is intermittent as well. In fact, while I was trying to get a sound recording of it yesterday, it kept stopping. But it came back and I got a few recordings of it (I don’t know how to post a sound clip on here though).

I’ve inspected the brakes, the wheels and tires, the under carriage and I can’t see anything that pops out at me. The car only has 25k miles on it (I put 4k of that on it in the last two months) and that’s what it looks like everywhere I’ve inspected: like a 2-year-old car with the appropriate miles for that age (even though it’s almost 15 years old).

What could this noise possibly be? Are there any areas on this car known to catch debris, like leaves or something, and cause a whistle that sounds like squeaking?
Old 01-09-2019, 10:07 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

Make sure the disc brake backing plate is not loose or rubbing on the disc, also might have to pull the disc off to make sure there isn't a rock or debris in between the backing plate and disc. After jacking it up, before removing the wheel, rock that wheel top and bottom, and side to side to see if the bearing has any play.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:37 AM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Make sure the disc brake backing plate is not loose or rubbing on the disc, also might have to pull the disc off to make sure there isn't a rock or debris in between the backing plate and disc. After jacking it up, before removing the wheel, rock that wheel top and bottom, and side to side to see if the bearing has any play.
The above is what happened to me, so that is a real possibility. What about the wheel bearings? Is there an easy way to check to see if these are going bad?
Old 01-09-2019, 10:43 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
^^This^^ would have been my guess as well, but you say it doesn't stop/change when the brakes are applied... This fact sort of rules it out...
Old 01-09-2019, 12:29 PM
JoeyCapranica
Instructor

It definitely doesn’t sound like a wheel bearing. I removed the right rear wheel and rotor yesterday and inspected it then adjusted the parking brake adjustment screw and there was no change. I just drove it again and now I think it might be in the front, so I’ll take that wheel and rotor off today and see if I find anything there. I heard the noise at well under 20mph, so I’m almost certain now that it’s something rotational.

Thank you for the replies! Hopefully it’s just a pebble stuck in the dust shield.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:51 PM
rabele
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does sound anything like this?

That ended up being a rock caught between the brake rotor and the backing plate. (as he said here)
Old 01-09-2019, 03:03 PM
JoeyCapranica
Instructor

It doesn’t sound anything like that.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:01 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

Do you have a clear bra? Could be film starting to peel up and creating a frequency with the wind. I had film on my mirrors and got a high-pitched, whistling-like noise when it started lifting.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:11 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by rabele
Does sound anything like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XtEgWzvhHs

That ended up being a rock caught between the brake rotor and the backing plate. (as he said here)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-sjnKkH6rI
OMG! He had the car flatbedded for that? What a dope!
Old 01-09-2019, 07:11 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr_Strangelove
Do you have a clear bra? Could be film starting to peel up and creating a frequency with the wind. I had film on my mirrors and got a high-pitched, whistling-like noise when it started lifting.
I doubt driving at 20mph would make a noise like that if it where.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:43 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Since the engine rpm doesn't affect the sound, and you are confident it comes from one side versus the other, it has to be related to moving components on that side. There isn't much that it could be other than wheel/brake/suspension interaction. I remember trouble shooting a squeaking noise on two different cars in the past that turned out to be unevenly worn brake pads. The pad on one side of the rotor looked fine, but the other was worn down to the rivets (in the case of these old style pads). The noise was intermittent at first, especially when the car was turning. In both cases, the root cause was that a caliper piston was sticking on one side. Your car has been sitting a lot, based on the low mileage, so that would be a possibility.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:21 PM
heroin
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a loose spark plug. Sounded like a chirping bird at low revs...
Old 01-10-2019, 09:16 AM
JoeyCapranica
Instructor

I don’t have any PPF. There are no uneven pads or anything one can see with a visual inspection of the wheels/brakes/suspension. I have trouble believing it’s a loose spark plug, or anything engine related for that matter, because it doesn’t change with engine speed.

It could be a sound caused by wind; it is not necessarily something rubbing. It doesn’t make any sense that it would stop making any noise under 20mph if it was caused by rotational friction from forward motion. The times that it has made noise under 20mph have been windy, which was something I didn’t consider while it was happening so I didn’t take note of the direction from which the wind was blowing at that/those moment(s). If it was something in the brakes/wheels/suspension it would do it at any speed and I would be able to recreate some kind of similar noise when I manually spin the wheels with them off of the ground. It seems like it needs at least some air movement for it to happen, so I can’t rule out wind noise. If it was in the brakes, the noise should change when I press the brake pedal - it doesn’t. NOTHING changes the sound other than slowing down to under 20mph; I cannot emphasize that enough. Anything one would try to troubleshoot this sound on any car, I have done. But I’ve never had to troubleshoot anything on any Porsche.

I wish I had a lift so I could just take the whole damn thing apart. With a lift, I could’ve had this problem solved in a couple hours at most.

This is kinda funny - yesterday I drove to Walmart to get some stuff and listen to this noise. When I got home, it was 80° in my apartment (there are large windows all the way around it and, even with the blinds closed, the sun heats up the place), so I turned on the AC. I’m sitting on the couch and I start hearing the same noise my car is making! I say out loud, “is it following me?!” The noise was coming from a closed vent in the hallway bathroom. So I’m certain now that sound can be caused by wind. I’m not certain it’s wind noise on the car, mind you. But I can’t rule out wind noise.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:29 AM
MattBurns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeyCapranica
I don’t have any PPF. There are no uneven pads or anything one can see with a visual inspection of the wheels/brakes/suspension. I have trouble believing it’s a loose spark plug, or anything engine related for that matter, because it doesn’t change with engine speed.

It could be a sound caused by wind; it is not necessarily something rubbing. It doesn’t make any sense that it would stop making any noise under 20mph if it was caused by rotational friction from forward motion. The times that it has made noise under 20mph have been windy, which was something I didn’t consider while it was happening so I didn’t take note of the direction from which the wind was blowing at that/those moment(s). If it was something in the brakes/wheels/suspension it would do it at any speed and I would be able to recreate some kind of similar noise when I manually spin the wheels with them off of the ground. It seems like it needs at least some air movement for it to happen, so I can’t rule out wind noise. If it was in the brakes, the noise should change when I press the brake pedal - it doesn’t. NOTHING changes the sound other than slowing down to under 20mph; I cannot emphasize that enough. Anything one would try to troubleshoot this sound on any car, I have done. But I’ve never had to troubleshoot anything on any Porsche.

I wish I had a lift so I could just take the whole damn thing apart. With a lift, I could’ve had this problem solved in a couple hours at most.

This is kinda funny - yesterday I drove to Walmart to get some stuff and listen to this noise. When I got home, it was 80° in my apartment (there are large windows all the way around it and, even with the blinds closed, the sun heats up the place), so I turned on the AC. I’m sitting on the couch and I start hearing the same noise my car is making! I say out loud, “is it following me?!” The noise was coming from a closed vent in the hallway bathroom. So I’m certain now that sound can be caused by wind. I’m not certain it’s wind noise on the car, mind you. But I can’t rule out wind noise.

You need somebody to drive the car, so you can sit shotgun with the window down and listen outside the car. That should at least get the region figured out. Those high pitched noises can be a real PITA, they sound like they are coming from EVERYWHERE, Another thing to try is to pop the frunk, so it's on the secondary latch. If it's something whistling by a gap there just opening it that much will usually eliminate a noise. Obviously, don't drive it far like that.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:34 AM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Wind noise around the door window gasket? It is very common for them to get hard, shrink, and make noise. There are several threads on this forum about the issue.

You are making it tough on us by not providing the sound!

Quick Reply: Squeaking/Squealing Above 25mph