Sponsored by:

Baby Seat in 996

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 03:33 PM
roguiethegiant
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Baby Seat in 996

Finally got around to testing rear-facing baby seat in my 996 (had been using Jeep for first 4 months of baby's life) and this is not only easy to take in/out but fits just fine...who said a 996 wasn't practical?

As a note, this is an Uppababy Mesa car seat
Attached Images  
The following users liked this post:
igrip (06-09-2023)
Old 01-06-2019, 06:57 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts

Ah I remember those days well! I just taught my baby girl to drive a stick in my Porsche! She's 23 now working as a Biomedical engineer in Wisconsin and remembers those days riding in the booster in the back seat with the top down! I am teaching my 16 y.o how to drive stick in P-car. He will always remember it. He already asked if he can take it to Prom in the spring... Uh Oh
The following users liked this post:
Gingerman (01-07-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 11:15 AM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

Reviving an old thread here. That is the exact car seats we're considering. Did you ever try installing it with the base?
Old 01-07-2020, 12:20 PM
e90steve
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

There are no lower latch connects in a 996 so you can't use the base.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:46 PM
Indy300
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by roguiethegiant
Finally got around to testing rear-facing baby seat in my 996 (had been using Jeep for first 4 months of baby's life) and this is not only easy to take in/out but fits just fine...who said a 996 wasn't practical?

As a note, this is an Uppababy Mesa car seat
when you move to a booster seat, COSCO brand fits nicely with its tapered base.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:10 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by charlieaf92
Reviving an old thread here. That is the exact car seats we're considering. Did you ever try installing it with the base?
1) Congrats, dude!

2) This thread was created shortly before my son was born and I'm realizing I need to take him on his first Porsche ride for his first birthday. Cheers to you for getting that seat in early. I did well in my first year but no Porsche ride is making me start to feel it was all for naught!
Old 01-07-2020, 03:49 PM
turbogrill
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy300
when you move to a booster seat, COSCO brand fits nicely with its tapered base.
Is this a backless booster?

Took my son out for the first time in the cab yesterday, he loved it. But his booster seat is a little wide

Trending Topics

Old 01-07-2020, 03:51 PM
Indy300
Advanced

Originally Posted by turbogrill
Is this a backless booster?

Took my son out for the first time in the cab yesterday, he loved it. But his booster seat is a little wide
backless with arm rests.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:46 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr_Strangelove
1) Congrats, dude!

2) This thread was created shortly before my son was born and I'm realizing I need to take him on his first Porsche ride for his first birthday. Cheers to you for getting that seat in early. I did well in my first year but no Porsche ride is making me start to feel it was all for naught!
Thanks! My C4S is my 'daily' driver, although I don't drive daily, so figuring out the car seat is going to be a priority. That, and a few years ago when I bought the 911 I used the back seats as a selling point and called it a 'family car' so now I have to prove I was right.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:34 PM
Indy300
Advanced

Thanks! My C4S is my 'daily' driver, although I don't drive daily, so figuring out the car seat is going to be a priority. That, and a few years ago when I bought the 911 I used the back seats as a selling point and called it a 'family car' so now I have to prove I was right.
This past weekend I filled the frunk with two gallons of paint and $110 in groceries (no steak)! My son was surprised.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:54 PM
T3C
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Seeing that you are now selling your C4S due to lack of car seat functionality I gotta ask--what happened? OP was able to make this one work, what happened with your experience?

Sincerely,
soon-to-be father in October desperately hoping to keep his 996
Old 09-15-2020, 07:35 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by T3C
Seeing that you are now selling your C4S due to lack of car seat functionality I gotta ask--what happened? OP was able to make this one work, what happened with your experience?

Sincerely,
Haha. Congratulations! So to be honest it DOES work. If you're determined you absolutely can do it. The biggest draw backs are 1) the passenger seats needs to be left almost fully forward and more or less vertical (this makes for a very uncomfortable ride if you have a passenger) and 2) getting the kid in and out pretty much requires removing the car seat from the vehicle - this works ok most of the time but could get awkward in some situations. Once you transition to the forward facing seats I think getting a kid in and out would be a lot easier.

My decision to sell my car is based on a multitude of factors. 1) Having a newborn is a huge time and energy suck and leaves me with no desire to work on cars (hopefully this changes but right now I don't even want to think about it). 2) We've decided to postpone or eliminate day care since I work from home so I'll be driving the baby more than I anticipated and this means going for walks, etc (getting a car seat + stroller in the 996 is even more of an inconvenience). 3) I drove my buddy's Model 3 performance and I really loved it.

Ultimately I'd say you absolutely can make the 996 work, but (and I hate to admit this) I am just getting old and the idea of an easier driving experience while maintaining a good amount of sport and excitement appeals to me.

Old 09-15-2020, 07:57 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by T3C

Sincerely,

Congrats, where there's a will there's a way! If nothing else, park the 996 for a few years and drive a cheap DD that won't depreciate too much.

My decision to sell my car is based on a multitude of factors. 1) Having a newborn is a huge time and energy suck and leaves me with no desire to work on cars (hopefully this changes but right now I don't even want to think about it).
Not trying to twist heart strings here, but you're just around the corner from getting your motivation back

The following 2 users liked this post by Dr_Strangelove:
igrip (06-09-2023), peterp (06-08-2023)
Old 09-15-2020, 08:02 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr_Strangelove
Not trying to twist heart strings here, but you're just around the corner from getting your motivation back

DOH! That is awesome. I can't wait for that...
Old 09-16-2020, 10:55 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by T3C

Sincerely,
Hey, I'm a soon to be father as well. In a few weeks I'll be able to tell you if the shortest not made in China rear facing seat I can find works (0.6" shorter front to back than the Mesa posted in this thread), but if you're ok with made in China you can check the Nuna Pipa or the Cybex Aton or Aton 2 (about 1.5" shorter front to back, which would make a big difference). It's crazy, but it is very easy to get a seat that fits in back of a 996 for a 3 year old but much harder for the much smaller infant.

For a stroller to fit in the trunk, there is sadly not a single not made in China option, though there are several that will fit that are made in China. My plan is to just carry the child if we go somewhere in the 996 or use a Boba carrier.

Last edited by marlinspike; 09-16-2020 at 11:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Baby Seat in 996