Tire Rack and Poor Quality

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 06:27 PM
Astro
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Tire Rack and Poor Quality

A public service announcement to Rennlisters

Based on my recent experience with Tire Rack, I would highly recommend not using their services. The winter wheel set which I purchased 3 years ago(have 2 MN winters on them), are severely corroded and the paint is blistering and peeling all over the wheels. As someone who is in the paint and corrosion industry I can tell you this is the direct result of poor surface prep, poor paint application or poor paint. When I brought this to their attention it took multiple emails, phone calls to get a response only to be told the warranty on steel wheels is one year and there must have been a chemical splashed on them and there is nothing they will do. Granted they are steel not aluminum wheels, but nevertheless they should hold up much better. Very poor way to do business and I will be spreading the word not to do business with them.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:32 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

3 years later and you want Tire Rack to intervene?! No mention of the manufacture of the product you are complaining about?
Old 12-11-2018, 06:36 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

Good luck. I don't think you have any recourse here. 3 years in and 2 winters on salted roads. I've had no issues dealing with TR, but I've only purchased tires from them, not wheels.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:46 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Did Tire Rack manufacture the wheels? If not, did they paint them?

I have had great experiences with Tire Rack. I ordered a tire and wheel set yesterday for the Fiesta ST and they arrive tomorrow. Once I put the wheels on the car though, any concerns would be addressed by the manufacturer. I personally wouldn't go back to Tire Rack for issues.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:59 PM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

yea....sorry you're not going to win on this one
I have OEM factory wheels with 4 PA salt/somewhat harsh winters on a set and have paint bubble/peel etc....just like you're describing.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:05 PM
Mike Mullins
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

Personally I've been buying from TR for almost my entire driving career, when the only contact was phone orders, Stand up company.

Ask Damon here to help you with the situation as a Rennlist member.

But considering MN winters I wouldn't have been surprised at what you see. Todays road treatments are worse than ever.

take them and have them blasted and repaint w Etching primer and then color coated.

You might get a few more years.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:19 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

I have had nothing but excellent service from Tire Rack. I'll continue to use them. Sorry to hear about living in the rust belt.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:26 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Astro
A public service announcement to Rennlisters

Based on my recent experience with Tire Rack, I would highly recommend not using their services. The winter wheel set which I purchased 3 years ago(have 2 MN winters on them), are severely corroded and the paint is blistering and peeling all over the wheels. As someone who is in the paint and corrosion industry I can tell you this is the direct result of poor surface prep, poor paint application or poor paint. When I brought this to their attention it took multiple emails, phone calls to get a response only to be told the warranty on steel wheels is one year and there must have been a chemical splashed on them and there is nothing they will do. Granted they are steel not aluminum wheels, but nevertheless they should hold up much better. Very poor way to do business and I will be spreading the word not to do business with them.

Such silliness. Please, enlighten us, and tell us how YOUR COMPANY handles warranty claims 2 years out of date? This would be a great comparison, since you are in the "paint and corrosion industry" and all.

I've been buying tires and services from The Tire Rack for over 15 years. I even drive the +180 miles roundtrip, just to have tires installed, because their work quality is so excellent. When I've had contact with Customer Service, they have been extremely helpful, fair, and prompt.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:31 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

I’m guessing the OP’s business is wildly different from Chinese-made cheap steel wheels? Probably not a fair comparison. Actually, the fact that OP has a business doing this line of work could indicate the need for higher quality.

I have only done TR business for tires, not wheels.

That said, I find most wheels to be cheap and poorly made in the aftermarket space, except very expensive ones that I’m too cheap to buy. So I’m not surprised the OP has these issues.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:57 PM
Astro
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Such silliness. Please, enlighten us, and tell us how YOUR COMPANY handles warranty claims 2 years out of date? This would be a great comparison, since you are in the "paint and corrosion industry" and all.

I've been buying tires and services from The Tire Rack for over 15 years. I even drive the +180 miles roundtrip, just to have tires installed, because their work quality is so excellent. When I've had contact with Customer Service, they have been extremely helpful, fair, and prompt.
And here we go, Mr Lexvan and his silliness clearly misses the point, but I'm not surprised as there are always some who don't get it.

There are two issues at play here: poor product quality and poor customer service. Poor product quality can be the result of the factors I mentioned in my original post. Poor customer service is inexcusable. Multiple emails and phone calls regarding an issue with a product purchased from a reputable company are poor customer service. Not working with your customers when they have an issue is poor customer service. When we have a customer with a product issue, we work with them to resolve it such that they remain a customer, but Mr Lexvan wouldn't understand.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:04 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

What should TireRack have done, in your opinion, then?
Old 12-11-2018, 08:13 PM
85eurocarrera
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Prelude Guy
What should TireRack have done, in your opinion, then?
provide hubcaps!😎
Old 12-11-2018, 08:16 PM
Battery Guy
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

One additional data point here - bought a tire and wheel package from Tire Rack for my 2013 Mustang GT. Winter tires and "Sport Edition" alloy wheels. Used them three winters with lots of salt and they still look brand new (car is long gone but the winter tires are still in my garage...). Just ordered new tires for my 911 from them. Good company.
Daryll
Old 12-11-2018, 08:16 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Astro
blah, blah, blah, blah, blah................

You didn't answer the question.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:17 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Quick Reply: Tire Rack and Poor Quality