Sponsored by:

Brake Fluid Volume

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 10:59 AM
Arthur
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Fluid Volume

I need to drain my brake lines. 1999 996. Currently have ATE Blue. Do not plan on draining the clutch. Does anyone know the volume of fluid it takes to drain the brake lines? Would a liter do it, or 500 cc's be enough? I know a simple way to do it would be to use Gold and watch for the color change, but I have a case of the ATE Blues I need to use. Any help appreciated. I'll be using the Power Bleeder.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:24 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

You don't want to leave a half can of brake fluid for later use. It is reccomended to always use a fresh can. I use the whole liter each time.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:36 PM
JayM
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm not sure I understand the situation behind your question. Do you have half-liter containers of ATE Blue? Otherwise how would using only 500 cc's help you?

When I change the fluid (but not the clutch), I open a liter of fluid, pour it into the Power bleeder and definitely have some left over, but I would guess it is less than half. Never thought to pay a lot of attention, since I throw it away (at my local recycler, not down the drain) anyway. Once you open the seal on a container the remaining unused fluid goes bad pretty quickly from the absorbed water. Well, maybe you could keep it if you put it in a shrink-wrap bag and vacuum sealed it, but geez, why bother? Unless you have half-liter containers, you might as well put the whole container into the bleeder. You definitely don't want to run out of fluid before you finish, as that will put air into the lines and you have to start over.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:19 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

When you bleed the brakes you will need about a liter of fluid.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:33 PM
raffi
Pro

if you wanted to exchange exactly one liter of old fluid for new why dont you just do 1000cc divided by 8 bleeders, so about 125 cc per each bleeder.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:58 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cannot answer you question unless you buy one of our DVDs

And we did film the brake fluid change and pad replacement. We use the Motive. 1 liter container it all it takes and you should have some left over. Jeff

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Volume