Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anyone with Wevo or Rennline Semi-Solid Engine Mounts Found They Come Loose?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 01:12 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 934 Likes on 623 Posts
Default Anyone with Wevo or Rennline Semi-Solid Engine Mounts Found They Come Loose?

I have owned both Wevo Semi-Solid and Rennline Semi-Solid engine mounts. I had the occasion to remove the Wevo mounts on my 2003 C2 and after about 2000 miles and found they were loose, meaning that the polyurethane insert had compressed and the result was the long bolt had quite a bit of play, maybe 1/4" up and down and 1/8" side to side. I tried to figure out how to tighten them down without success so I trashed those and went back to stock, then sold the car. Fast forward a year and I bought a 2004 GT3 and installed a set of Rennline "adjustable" mounts that are similar in design but the insert is replaceable to "tune" it with 3 different hardnesses. I have run these for a few months. Today I had the occasion to drop the engine down a bit for a job and found the Rennline mounts to have the same problem...polyurethane had compressed and the long bolt had a lot of play, at least 1/4" if not more up and down and about 1/4" side to side. I removed the mounts and tightened down the insert again, then reinstalled.

Anyone else experience this? I can't imagine that much play is a good thing, especially on the track (which is 99% of my car's use). Maybe the Rennline mounts will stay tight now that they have initially settled in? Has me thinking of looking at other options...Solid mounts or the 993/964 RS rubber mounts. I don't mind the harshness but have been reluctant to do solid mounts b/c of concerns about knock sensors (if there are any?).

Thoughts?
Old 12-03-2018, 11:13 AM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

I've got the rennline mounts. They're not very good, but I haven't seen any compression issues. My biggest complaint with them is the terrible thread engagement.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:53 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

I installed a set this summer and pulled them about a week or two later.
They were loose when we pulled them.
We changed out the hardness and re-installed.
It's been a couple of months now.
I'll have to get in touch with the owner and have him stop by so we can check and re-torque as necessary.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:02 PM
Vancouver996
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

No , but I used blue locktight on the wevos and other suspension bits , 2 years later no issues

during my apprenticeship I was taught , no naked threads
depending what it is , most threads get either grease , appropriate colour locktight etc .
I like outboard motor grease for things I will want to undo and blue locktight when I want it tight but I know I’m going to go back in eventually .

Last edited by Vancouver996; 12-03-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:28 PM
ion_berkley
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancouver996
No , but I used blue locktight on the wevos and other suspension bits , 2 years later no issues

depending what it is , most threads get either grease , appropriate colour locktight etc .
I like outboard motor grease for things I will want to undo and blue locktight when I want it tight but I know I’m going to go back in eventually .
I may have misunderstood, but I think the OP's point was that the polyurethane was deforming/compressing permanently rather than the nuts moving on the threads.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:34 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vancouver996

I'm not talking about the bolts/nut fixing each mount to the car. I mean the mounts are loose internally... The long bolt is flopping around because the polyurethane insert is loose within the carrier.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:35 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ion_berkley
I may have misunderstood, but I think the OP's point was that the polyurethane was deforming/compressing permanently rather than the nuts moving on the threads.
Correct.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:24 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

These seem like a good option that would be very firm, not solid, and not have the potential to become loose on the track. Porsche 993/964 RS OEM engine mounts, Carnewal adapts them with longer bolts to fit 996/997's.

Last edited by Nickshu; 12-06-2018 at 10:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyone with Wevo or Rennline Semi-Solid Engine Mounts Found They Come Loose?