Sponsored by:

Amplifier changeout

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 05:57 PM
wthensler
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Amplifier changeout

I think my amplifier on my ‘99 coupe is no longer functioning properly ( sound seems to have lost its punch) and am tempted to get a replacement from suncoastparts while their sale is on.

Anyone ever done a one-for-one swap? How difficult of a job is it? Thank you.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:29 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by wthensler
I think my amplifier on my ‘99 coupe is no longer functioning properly ( sound seems to have lost its punch) and am tempted to get a replacement from suncoastparts while their sale is on.

Anyone ever done a one-for-one swap? How difficult of a job is it? Thank you.
Amp in the frunk has been a unique Porsche design that goes way back to the aircooled days. I've changed out many. As long as you get the right one, it's pretty much plug and play. I assume you have the standard M490 6 channel amp? If so, save the money and buy one used. Every one I've bought on eBay have been great! Here's one that will work for the coupe. Remember, the wiring is different for the "Cabrio" version and so if your car is the 1999 Carrera Coupe with the six speaker system, then this amp will work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911...7vNB:rk:3:pf:0
Old 11-23-2018, 08:25 PM
wthensler
Instructor

The original window sticker on the car stated it as digital sound package with 490 (an astounding 1,200 dollar upgrade in 1999), the 6 CD changer (745 dollars) and the CDR-220 AM/FM with CD changer (345).

The product listed on eBay states analog, so I’ll perhaps I’ll to do a bit more investigation.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:23 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,346 Likes on 660 Posts

The original window sticker on the car stated it as digital sound package with 490 (an astounding 1,200 dollar upgrade in 1999), the 6 CD changer (745 dollars) and the CDR-220 AM/FM with CD changer (345).

That's really interesting. The dealer on my '99 only charged $600 for the M490 upgrade but the CDR-220 was the same $345 as on your sticker. I guess that was just another sales tool to make customers feel like there were good faith negotiations happening. At least there was no charge for TruCoat® .

Old 11-23-2018, 10:00 PM
wthensler
Instructor

Is that what you got for a window sticker? And did yours have the Digital Sound Pkg? ( takes up one DIN on the dash).

My ‘99 came out to just under $ 77,000, but was heavily optioned. Love how they offered you free oil changes for the life of the car. That was a big deal back then.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:34 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

The product listed on eBay states analog, so I’ll perhaps I’ll to do a bit more investigation.
When Porsche says “digital”, they were referring to Compact Disc. Bear in mine, in 1999, cassette tape was the standard and CD was considered an upgrade. The CDR-220 feeds the M490 with two analog pre-amp outputs. In 2003, Porsche switched over to a MOST fiber optic based fully digital system. Therefore the eBay seller is correct in saying the M490 is analog.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:48 PM
wthensler
Instructor

Thanks for the advice. Now thinking just to go with a complete new system, like the Kenwood DNX with Apple Car Play, Navi, etc. Many on this site have upgraded their dashes with modern systems. I listen to XM more than CDs, and FM is unlistenable.....
Old 11-24-2018, 12:01 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the advice. Now thinking just to go with a complete new system, like the Kenwood DNX with Apple Car Play, Navi, etc. Many on this site have upgraded their dashes with modern systems. I listen to XM more than CDs, and FM is unlistenable.....
Before you dump the money in a total upgrade, consider your options. The CDR-220 is pretty nice radio and will accept an AUX input. That means you can get an iPhone conversion cable and connect it to the back of the CDR-220. It connects in place of the CD changer input. One you get it connected, you can use the phone for Spodify, Pandora, or other streaming music service. In fact, I believe the song names will display on the CDR's LED. Anyway, a complete upgrade is very doable with the older cars compared to the new ones, but bear in mind you'll need to change out the speakers too. Porsche uses polarity voodoo and so it's a good idea to have a multimeter handy. Good luck!
Old 11-25-2018, 10:19 AM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts

I did a complete upgrade with Kenwood Apple car play unit No NAv as I use my phone and Waze for Nav. I upgraded the amp with an Alpine unit. Kept the stock speakers, This on 2003 with the most system. Also installed a rearview camera. GREAT UPGRADE! And I can restore everything to stock if I want to!
Remember you can stream XM from their app on your phone if you want to do an upgrade as I did. Using Nutty professors suggestion. I did that first before I did the upgrade. I like having the modern interface and Nav on head unit since I use Nave a lot. I stream XM from the phone as well as Spotify.

I turn the radio off a lot with spirited driving, just love the sound of the sport exhaust!

Quick Reply: Amplifier changeout