Dash Light Puzzle

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 04:17 PM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Dash Light Puzzle

Hey all,
Searched but didnt find anything on this specific issue. It started with dash light but a few more things have popped up here and there.
I've had some strange electrical anomalies that I'm assuming are related but I've not yet been able to determine a root cause. Car is an 03 C4s with about 139k miles, manual trans

Symptoms:
Dash Lights:
Starting the car results in the battery + oil lights illuminating. Oil level is fine as indicated by start up check sequence and manual dip stick check. Battery is on tender (CTEK) when not in use and never had an issue starting. Lights go out after a few miles.

Rear Spoiler Warning:
After a night out in the rain, the spoiler warning light appeared in the matrixed display. Spoiler raises with manual button, but will only lower after restart.

Passenger Rear View Mirror:
While in reverse mirror dipped to maximum down. When back to neutral, mirror motor continued to run and hold mirror in maximum down position. Returned to normal after restart.

Potential Root Causes:
#1: Ignition Switch - I know this can cause some random issues when going bad. Could this be triggering the dash lights and possibly affecting spoiler operation ?
#2: Spoiler - Relays, position switch
#3: Alternator Voltage regulator - similar symptoms as the ignition switch
#4: ??

Open to suggestions and input, sure there is something I may not have considered. Thanks for any help
Old 11-24-2018, 12:37 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 342 Posts

The electrical issues could be the light switch, ignition switch, or a battery on the way out. All three can contribute to seemingly unrelated issues. If you put the spoiler up manually, it will stay up when your shut off the car. That is normal.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:50 PM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bill, thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that I did the headlight switch over the summer so I think thats OK.

For the spoiler, the situation was that if I raised it manually, then tried to lower it manually it would not work until I re-started the car. However its been a few weeks and that issue has yet to re-appear.

I had thought about the battery being as issue but it kicks over well and is always on the maintainer when not in use.
Old 11-25-2018, 01:49 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 342 Posts

It couldn't hurt to have the battery tested. At least you would be able to rule that out as the cause and move on to other checks.

Quick Reply: Dash Light Puzzle