Sponsored by:

Finally pulled the trigger 04 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 10:14 PM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by montauk
Thanks for the responses so far. I appreciate the help. I looked at the car today and I LIKE IT!!!!. But it's got some warts. Cosmetically it's got some normal chips up front, a bit of curb rash on the wheels and some "smiles" on the front bumper. The car fax showed minor damage and I'm wondering if this was something that wasn't repaired properly and is starting to show. Any idea on the cost to get a front bumper patched up and repainted?

The PPI is tomorrow. I'll report back when I know more.
You might have already asked, but make sure you get 2 working keys and remotes. Otherwise, it will take some time and $ to get a 2nd functioning set. I am in my 3rd year of ownership and need to get to the dealer for reprogramming a 2nd remote!
Old 11-20-2018, 01:27 PM
montauk
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tip on the keys. It has two keys and I think a valet key.

So far, they found the coolant leak. It was described to me as a coupling of some sort. They also found a worn anti-roll bar bushing. The PSM not turning off has them stumped. They're going to replace the switch and check the wiring.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:23 PM
montauk
Instructor

Default PPI is done but...

The PPI is done and there are two problems. One they can't figure why the PSM won't turn off. They checked the dash and all lights work when they turn the car on. Neither the PSM "OFF" light on the switch or on the dash will illuminate when the button is pushed.

Second problem is a clutch error code, PO830. In fact, its the only code that showed up. I searched a bit and found that there are two switches for sensing the clutch position. I wonder if someone did remove the helper spring as someone suggested and knocked a position switch loose.

They also found and fixed the coolant leak. A bad sway bar bushing was noted and replaced.

I'm really worried that the PSM problem was caused by somebody messing around behind the dash. If they can't fix that, I'll have to pass. Just too worried that it could be a red flag for future electrical gremlins.

Dave
Old 11-20-2018, 06:34 PM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

All sounds pretty minimal, and nothing that would be a deal breaker for me.... but i like projects.

As for the clutch: I bought a C4s in Sept of last year and the clutch was on it's way out (my PPI wasn't quite as clean as your's). Before replacement, the clutch was heavy but still shifted fine (no issues getting in our of 3rd or any other gear). After replacing the clutch, flywheel, throwout bearing, fluid, etc. -- the clutch was much lighter and easier to manipulate.

Shifter: My stock shifter was worn and sloppy. Installed a 997 shifter (popular upgrade) and it improved things, but still not as tight as what i'd expect from a sport car. Then purchased an Porsche Sport shifter and voila, perfection. It's a super easy upgrade and one I'd look to do in any car that's got a 15 year-old shifter in it. Additionally, you can adjust the cables to make it easier to shift through all gears, i messed w/ mine a bit each time i replaced the shifter and it's now very easy to get in out of each gear.... and is very crisp and direct.

As for your PASM issue, one simple thing you might try given the dealer may have disconnected the battery while the car was sitting on the lot or being serviced. I know this is typically only for later model Pcars, but worth a shot...
  • Steering angle sensor (PASM)
    The steering angle sensor must be re-initialized when the battery is disconnected and connected.
  • Turn wheels to straight-ahead position.
  • Switch ignition off and then on again twice.
  • Start engine.
  • From the straight-ahead position, turn steering wheel approx. 20° to the right, past the straight-ahead position.
  • Drive the vehicle straight ahead for at least one second at a speed above 4 km/h (2.5 mph).
    The steering angle sensor segment is recognized again in this process.
    Once the sensor has been successfully initialized, the fault code that is stored in the fault memory is documented using the fault deletion counter.
    The fault memory erases itself automatically.
    The PSM indicator light in the instrument cluster goes out.

Old 11-21-2018, 11:52 AM
Driver5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully you get everything sorted. The C4S is a beautiful machine! I've owned mine for about 9 years now. I love the widebody lines. Nice to know that the sell value is holding!
Old 11-21-2018, 08:36 PM
montauk
Instructor

The mechanic found a shorted wire behind the radio. He fixed it and the PSM problem is solved. I'll pick it up on Friday.

I think the first thing I'm going to do is check and see if the helping spring is on the clutch pedal. If it is, I'm betting the hard clutch is, as someone pointed out, a sign that its time for a new clutch. I guess I'll do the IMS and RMS while I'm in there. I'll have to decide on which option for the IMS.

Happy thanksgiving everyone !!!!!

Dave
Old 11-22-2018, 10:37 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Congrats. Great to hear about the simple psm fix.

After the helper spring unit, I’d explore some other options before I assumed it was the clutch itself. I’d look at the master and slave cylinders before the clutch.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:01 AM
85eurocarrera
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 185 Posts

Black 4S on Black Friday, awesome! Enjoy the PSE.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:37 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

Congrats....there is nothing like a 996 C4S rear end plus GT3 style wheels which are my favorite. I would put a spacer on the back wheel to fill the awesome width of the hindquarters. :-)
Old 11-22-2018, 12:03 PM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Glad the PSM issue was fixed, woulda been a shame to pass on such a nice car over something like that.

Be sure to add the AOS to the list of replacement parts when you go to do the rms and clutch. It’s a wear item that is much easier to replace when the car is broken down for a clutch replacement. As for the IMSb, I’ll let you decide what to do there.

Congrats amd post post more pix once home!
Old 11-22-2018, 12:13 PM
JoeyCapranica
Instructor

Beautiful car. I don’t know if someone has already mentioned it, but the short shift kit in your car is likely the factory option. Here’s your build sheet which lists it as well as option 416 GT3 wheels.

Old 11-22-2018, 09:57 PM
Crowsnest
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! Cool options list and it looks great in black.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:28 PM
montauk
Instructor

Thanks for the responses. Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow.
Great suggestion on the clutch master and slave cylinders. Glad Joey was able to find the options sheet - I hadn't seen it.

I've been reading through pages of threads on Rennlist about the 996's. Since the short shifter is a factory installed unit, I'm wondering if I should check the engine and tranny mounts too.

And what does AOS stand for?

Hope everyone had nice turkey day!!!!
Old 11-22-2018, 11:01 PM
85eurocarrera
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 185 Posts

Air Oil Separator
I would suggest getting a Bentley Manual. Even if you don't DIY,it's a great resource to read and learn about your new car.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:02 PM
JoeyCapranica
Instructor

Originally Posted by montauk

And what does AOS stand for?
Air oil separator, I believe.

Quick Reply: Finally pulled the trigger 04 C4S