Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 02:49 PM
montauk
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Finally pulled the trigger 04 C4S

I just put a deposit on this car
https://www.import1motorsport.com/VI...gurus_listings

I'll see it on Monday. I've been shopping for something that I can use fairly regularly. My regular DD is a Volvo wagon and I put about 30,000 miles a year on it. I was using my old SC as my alternate DD but those things are really going up in value plus I'd like something with some creature comforts like AC. I've been all over the map searching for a Porsche. I had my heart set on a 997 but the pricing is just too much for an extra fun car. I even considered and nearly bought a 968. I had 944S2 years ago and just loved driving that car. I also had a boxster which was also very nice but just wasn't my cup of tea.

I did drive another 04 4S coupe recently but it just had too many little things wrong with it. I also drove a 4 cab that was nice. Frankly, I'd be happy with any of the 996's but I like the look of the 4S coupes the best. Any problems taking these to a car wash? It's black so it will be getting washed often.

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated. It does have one minor accident and no service history. I think that's reflected in the price based on other cars I've looked at but I'm a newbie with 996's.

Dave
Old 11-16-2018, 03:19 PM
parris
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

It looks a reasonable price. It is a 2004, with a nice option of PSE and it looks in quite good condition. I would suggest to make a PPI before signing the purchase as you dont have previous service records.

Other than that, it looks very clean car
Old 11-16-2018, 04:02 PM
scanderson76
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=parris;15435427 I would suggest to make a PPI before signing the purchase as you dont have previous service records.

Other than that, it looks very clean car[/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree...get a PPI. Good insurance with no history. Good luck!
Old 11-16-2018, 04:22 PM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

CONGRATS! Personally, i think you knocked it out of the park!! My fav 996 in my fav color combo w/ perfect miles (I prefer cars that have been driven periodically over garage queens that dry rot away) and it looks well optioned.

If you haven't heard one yet, you'll love the PSE -- i was parking just this a.m. and the guy that owns the building next to me (and has owned several 911s) walks over and asked what exhaust was on it, because it's one of the best sounding 911s he's ever heard. Not too loud, but has a snarl.

Doesn't look to be a steal, but if it ticked all the boxes for you, who cares..... I'm jealous!
Old 11-16-2018, 04:31 PM
Billup
Burning Brakes

Received 592 Likes on 330 Posts

Definitely paid on the higher end (as did I, so not a bad thing), and it looks like a very well taken care of example with respectable miles. Enjoy!
Old 11-16-2018, 08:27 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

$30,000 seems to be about the going rate for a clean 4S, though. It would be high for a Carrera, for sure.

Montauk, answer to your question - you shouldn't have any trouble with frequent washes. Occasionally folks have misfire issues with cracked coils getting wet after a wash, but healthy coils will pose no issues. Good luck with the purchase next week!
Old 11-16-2018, 09:05 PM
bpoteat
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I just bought one very similar after having looked for a long time. I also love the C4S look.

I don't know if it's because of the recent reviews by popular car folks saying that these are undervalued at the moment but IMO it looks the prices bottomed out about a year ago and 30k is about the going rate for a sorted, 60-80k mile C4S. This one looks nice (and I really wish mine had PSE) but obviously you'll need to address the IMS bearing if it hasn't already been handled so that adds a bit to your initial cost...or at least that's how I would see it.

Last edited by bpoteat; 11-16-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:49 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

Congrats! Looks awesome. Are those gt3 wheels?

The C4S is a 30k car, no way around it. You can find them cheaper, but it ends up costing 30k by the time everything is said and done. Might as well get one in as good of condition as possible.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:55 PM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 137 Posts

Well done, please post pics and any info from the PPI (Pre or Post). Welcome!
Old 11-19-2018, 08:08 PM
montauk
Instructor

Thanks for the responses so far. I appreciate the help. I looked at the car today and I LIKE IT!!!!. But it's got some warts. Cosmetically it's got some normal chips up front, a bit of curb rash on the wheels and some "smiles" on the front bumper. The car fax showed minor damage and I'm wondering if this was something that wasn't repaired properly and is starting to show. Any idea on the cost to get a front bumper patched up and repainted?

Of course the dealer had the car cleaned but beyond that, it really looks like a car that it's previous owners took care of. The toolkit, spare, manuals, etc. were all there too. There was the typical bit of wear on the driver's left side seat bolster but other than that, the interior was very tidy.

The test drive, what can I say, it was great - no surprise - but a couple of things I noticed that seemed not quite right. One, it's got a short shift kit. I don't know which one but it made getting the car into gear a little, I'll say "tight". I guess that's just a function of less leverage. I also found that finding third gear wasn't a slam dunk but I'm guessing that's just a matter of becoming familiar with the car. It's hard to describe but I'm driven hundreds of thousands of miles with manual transmissions and this just felt odd. I also noticed that the clutch pedal required quite a bit of force which I like. For reference, I've driven an 4WD 996 cab and another 04 C4S coupe. Shifting and clutch action in those cars was a no brainer. In fact, the clutch on my old 1980 911 is less of an effort and even with the standard long shift in the car, finding third is easy.

One more thing, we couldn't turn off PSM. Is there a trick to it? I tried it while in motion and stopped. The light indicating PSM was off never lit.

The PPI is tomorrow. I'll report back when I know more.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:11 PM
montauk
Instructor

One more thing. After the drive I looked in the engine compartment. I noticed a faint smell of coolant and noted that the coolant level was low. I asked the mechanic doing the PPI to see if he can find a leak.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:29 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by montauk
I also noticed that the clutch pedal required quite a bit of force which I like.
This could be one of two things. 1) PO may have done the "helper spring delete" mod to give the clutch more feedback but also making the pedal heavier, OR, 2) Clutch may be worn.

The clutch on my car was quite heavy when I bought it but after I did the famous IMS/clutch service it felt like a freaking Honda. Super light and smooth.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:40 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

I test drove an 04 C4S before I bought my 99 C2. It had a short throw shifter too. I also noticed it had a "tight" feeling and seemed to take more effort to engage. I much prefer the 997 shifter on my C2.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:16 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

My 04 C4S had a brand new clutch put in back in june. All factory parts. My car also has a short shifter. My clutch pedal is soft and smooth. But i will admit the trans wont "fall" into gear. It does require mild effort but not enough to be concerned. Manual trans fluid was changed when the clutch was done. Based on what i have read on this and other forums its normal. I live in florida so we only have one season but i have heard folks up north notice it takes much more effort when cold but as the fluid heats up it gets easier.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:12 PM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Bash Hat
I test drove an 04 C4S before I bought my 99 C2. It had a short throw shifter too. I also noticed it had a "tight" feeling and seemed to take more effort to engage. I much prefer the 997 shifter on my C2.
Agreed. I have the 997 shifter on my 996.1 C2 as well. Of course it is not Nuremic sporty, but it really fits the vehicle. There is something to be said for that feeling.

Quick Reply: Finally pulled the trigger 04 C4S