Suggestions on wheel trade

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 10:17 PM
scanderson76
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Suggestions on wheel trade

Hello all,

I would like the opinions from the group for the wheels in the below, as you all were "mostly" a huge help in my previous post. I am not a huge fan of chrome wheels, and I would like to either purchase or trade for the Carrera II 18in. wheels. These are 18in. and what I believe to be the standard twist wheels? Please correct me if I am mistaken. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Old 11-13-2018, 10:49 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,479 Likes on 1,323 Posts

I prefer the Carrera II wheels or the GT3 wheels.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:24 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 263 Posts

I have some standard turbo twist lying around that are non chrome that I would consider trading....and I live near seattle.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:18 AM
scanderson76
Advanced

Originally Posted by lowpue
I have some standard turbo twist lying around that are non chrome that I would consider trading....and I live near seattle.
Hello lowpue, that is very generous of you! Unfortunately, I am just looking for the Carrera II wheels at this time as an option. Thank you.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:38 AM
hartmn
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I just purchased a 2001 Carrera 4 yesterday and it has those exact 18 inch chrome rims on it. I believe they called them high polished, and they were a $2,600 option if my memory servers me correctly. The previous owner liked to park by without using her mirror apparently and curbed the rear passenger side rim. I'm kind of a purist and I am having them all refurbished by the dealer (Pacific Porsche) because I just always want to keep the vehicles as stock and complete as they came right from the factory. But that's just me. Why don't you find another set of Turbo Twist and box these up and keep them? They look nice on your Birarritz White car! IMO.

Hartmn
Old 11-14-2018, 11:41 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by scanderson76
Hello all,

I would like the opinions from the group for the wheels in the below, as you all were "mostly" a huge help in my previous post. I am not a huge fan of chrome wheels, and I would like to either purchase or trade for the Carrera II 18in. wheels. These are 18in. and what I believe to be the standard twist wheels? Please correct me if I am mistaken. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Yea, those are the 993 turbo twists the made it over into the 996 generation. The chromed version were commonly found on the Millennium Edition of the mk1 996.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:14 PM
scanderson76
Advanced

Originally Posted by hartmn
I just purchased a 2001 Carrera 4 yesterday and it has those exact 18 inch chrome rims on it. I believe they called them high polished, and they were a $2,600 option if my memory servers me correctly. The previous owner liked to park by without using her mirror apparently and curbed the rear passenger side rim. I'm kind of a purist and I am having them all refurbished by the dealer (Pacific Porsche) because I just always want to keep the vehicles as stock and complete as they came right from the factory. But that's just me. Why don't you find another set of Turbo Twist and box these up and keep them? They look nice on your Birarritz White car! IMO.

Hartmn
Hello Hartmn, thank you for the comments. Thanks for the information, and yes I assumed they were a nice option from the factory. I have thought about keeping them and just purchasing the Carrera II's as well. Thank you and you are close, its silver in color not white.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:45 PM
hartmn
Instructor

scanderson,

Silver is nice too! Classic color. I was just looking over my window sticker I think it was a $2160 option and not a $2600 option but still. I think you should keep them. I wasn't sure when I first saw the add for my car if Porsche originally sold these cars with chrome rims, but I was wrong. They are growing me! Keep them!

hartmn
Old 12-04-2018, 01:46 AM
Otto Bonn
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 178 Posts

Is this what you mean? They have 996 part numbers and were great for me. I like silver better than chrome myself but the chrome were an option at the time.

Old 12-04-2018, 02:49 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Chrome or very close to Chrome was also standard on the 40th AE 996.

Unfortunately IMO Chrome hasn't stood the test of time looks wise.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:22 PM
scanderson76
Advanced

Originally Posted by c didy
Is this what you mean? They have 996 part numbers and were great for me. I like silver better than chrome myself but the chrome were an option at the time.

c didy, those are nice, but I am looking for the carerra II's in 18in. I might end up keeping the chrome twists as they have some nostalgic benefits since they were original to the car. Thanks!
Old 12-05-2018, 12:27 PM
hartmn
Instructor

Hello,

This is my 2001 Carrea 4 with 18 inch which were a factory option turbo twist in High Polish finish. I like them very much and I just bought this Porsche from a neighbor. She has an elderly mom living with her and had to make some vehicle changes! I hope you enjoy the pictures!

Eric

Old 12-05-2018, 12:43 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by hartmn
Hello,

This is my 2001 Carrea 4 with 18 inch which were a factory option turbo twist in High Polish finish. I like them very much and I just bought this Porsche from a neighbor. She has an elderly mom living with her and had to make some vehicle changes! I hope you enjoy the pictures!

Eric
Eric, very nice car. Carrera white seems to be a rare color, but very nice when combined with tan leather interior. Normally, I wouldn't want chrome wheel on my Porsche, but yours seems to really compliment your car. Enjoy!

Old 12-05-2018, 10:29 PM
hartmn
Instructor

NuttyProfessor,

Thank you, I couldn’t agree more. It does work well with the car. When I receive my prof of owner ship from DMV I am going ask PNA if they would tell me how many were imported to the US in white. I’ve read on another post here that it was very few. I sent a email to a gentleman from the PCA and asked him and he said to submit the question to Porsche North America. He went on to say that he didn’t know if they would answer the the question but don’t give up.

Thanks again!

Eric
Old 03-23-2019, 10:40 AM
oregondave
Banned

Received 161 Likes on 114 Posts

I just got a set of these myself for my millennium and am wondering if the "finish" technique is different than on the wheels released originally with those cars as they seem to have all peeled. Non 2000/ME cars with the option seem to be fine?

Quick Reply: Suggestions on wheel trade