Sponsored by:

Pedal Pump to Start?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 04:29 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts
Default Pedal Pump to Start?

I have to pump the gas a few times to start my car in the morning or after sitting awhile. Also, if I leave it idling it will stumble every once in awhile. Tach will drop and rise.
Fuel pressure, gas cap or fuel pump? I've tried to search for vacuum leaks but have not smoke tested.
Haven't been able to hook up the Durametric to data log anything due to a failed battery on my laptop.
Other than that she runs like a champ!
Old 10-31-2018, 04:47 PM
Billup
Three Wheelin'

Received 611 Likes on 337 Posts

Similar thing was occurring in my BMW, ended up being fouled spark plugs. Swapped out the plugs and coils and symptom went away. Might be worth it to pop one out and make sure plugs aren't fouled.

Durametric might point you in an actual direction rather than my out of the hat guess however.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:34 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,763 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Strange. I mean, in the old days, pumping the gas worked on carbureted engines because there was a piston that actually pumped fuel into the intake manifold to get the engine started.

On these cars, pumping before starting probably does nothing. Pumping usurping starting probably introduces air and fuel that bypasses the idle control mechanism.

I agree that fouled plugs could be the cause, as introducing a lot more air without atomized fuel could help clear the cylinders. But I also wonder if the idle control or starting fuel algorithm could also be faulty. I guess I don’t know how the starting procedure on these cars works in terms of idle control versus some other mechanism.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:35 PM
Flat6Music
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 122 Posts

Since its injected and doesn't have an accelerator pump like a carbureted engine, I'm assuming you're referring to giving it gas while cranking it over, rather than to prime it prior to cranking it. On my 99' C2 I give it zero extra fuel with the pedal, and it always fires right off and idles. I'd also be extra careful to avoid revving it at all above idle speed upon start-up because of lack of oil pressure/circulation and operating temperature. Do you suspect a vacuum leak? If you loosen the oil filler cap to intentionally create a vacuum leak when it's idling, does the idle change?
Old 10-31-2018, 05:53 PM
rb101
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try this from a few years back
Rick
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-form/812091-random-hard-starting.html
Old 10-31-2018, 06:09 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

I crank and let oil pressure build then crank again apply a pedal pump or two or three. I never rev it and keep it between 2-3k until temps are up. I do keep it above 3K while driving most of the time.
New Bosch plugs with less than 800 miles on them.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:40 PM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

I’m currently working through a similar issue with warm starts. Pumping the throttle adds air not fuel to the mix which makes me think I have either a faulty Evap system or leaking injectors. The rich mix is then thinned out by pumping the gas pedal and starts every time. May be related to your isssue or not. Keep us posted either way and I’ll do the same.

As as an aside I have no CELs, no problems filling up and no whistling bottle noises that typical accompany a faulty evap purge valve so like I said, I have some digging to do.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:05 PM
JohnCA58
Rennlist Member

Received 359 Likes on 226 Posts

Last year on the 02 C2, had hard starting for a few times like yours, ended up quitting 100 miles from home, no CEL and thankful for AAA premium towing, got it home and found fuel pump failure.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:56 PM
ltusler
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts

I had a problem with long cranking on hot starts, it was the coolant sensor at the back of the engine.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:19 AM
Always wanted 1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you tried turning the key on and off a few times before engaging the starter? I️ dont know if the 996 fuel system imhas a return or not, but the fuel line has to be under pressure and a pressure leak within the system can initially starve the injectors for fuel for a few seconds. Turning the key on and off would cause the pump to run and pressurize the system. Also could be a weak/failing pump.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:26 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

I agree with others. Pumping shouldn't have any effect on fuel injected car like the 996. Have you tried resetting your e-gas? I've also had this problem and it ended up being a failing fuel pump system.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:36 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,763 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Funny enough, I ran my 996 out of gas yesterday, and it sputtered and died. But if I depressed the accelerator a bit, it would run just long and well enough to back it into a parking space.

So when you say ‘pump,’ I wonder if what you are actually doing is opening and closing the butterfly valve whereby the opening part of the cycle is what’s actually helping the car start. The way to validate my hypothesis would be - next time instead of pumping, try holding the throttle open at 25% of 50% and leave it there to see if it’s has the same affect.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:02 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltusler
I had a problem with long cranking on hot starts, it was the coolant sensor at the back of the engine.
What other symptoms led you to the sensor?

This is interesting. Last week I discovered a small coolant drip. It looked like it was coming from the sensor so I gave it a little snug (maybe a 1/16" turn) but then realized it was the coolant (clamp) hose above it was cocked. Lost my temp gauge and half way home it came back. No issue since. Always warms up to just north of 180*.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:10 PM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
I agree with others. Pumping shouldn't have any effect on fuel injected car like the 996. Have you tried resetting your e-gas? I've also had this problem and it ended up being a failing fuel pump system.
It certainly does. Pressing the throttle pedal to the floor induces a lean condition, so if an issue w/ a 996 that involves fueling that ultimate leads to too much fuel being in the chamber upon start up, flooring it helps.

Originally Posted by rb101
This is a great lead, thanks! Certainly not trying to hijack this thread, perhaps this would sort out the OP and myself, will look into it as I'm a bit stumped at the moment.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:52 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by jllphan
It certainly does. Pressing the throttle pedal to the floor induces a lean condition, so if an issue w/ a 996 that involves fueling that ultimate leads to too much fuel being in the chamber upon start up, flooring it helps.
I know our cars are like 20 years old now, but they are still ECU controlled fuel injection and post 2000 have e-gas (i.e. non-mechanical throttle), correct? Therefore, at startup the ECU handles the startup routine of priming the pump and injecting fuel into the combustion chamber. I haven't forgotten the old carburetor cars/trucks that did require pumping of the gas to engage the choke, but I don't see how pumping an accelerator on modern fuel injected cars is going to make a difference in the situation. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Pedal Pump to Start?