Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 07:34 PM
rway
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure

Hi Guys,

I'm a new owner of a 1998 911/996. - Absolutely love it o bits. Had it for a while now and had no problems. However, i've been doing a few more KM's and my engine this morning was over heating and the oil pressure is up to 4.5? I'm about 2 weeks out from a service.

I assume it needs more oil and to check this? However my question is do i need to check anything else to make sure i don't damage the engine?

The engine was whining and heat/smoke was coming from the back. Drove it about 100m then put it back in the garage.

Any advice would be amazing as i'm a novice Porsche owner

Thanks in advance RW

Old 10-08-2018, 09:10 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Tow it to someone that know what they are doing!
Old 10-09-2018, 02:37 AM
Projekt EPiK
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

reading this and your other thread.. now hearing about the whining and over heating.. I'm going to bet on the water pump impeller is shot. Was the car idling higher when it was over heating? That would explain the higher oil pressure reading.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:34 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by rway
Hi Guys,

I'm a new owner of a 1998 911/996. - Absolutely love it o bits. Had it for a while now and had no problems. However, i've been doing a few more KM's and my engine this morning was over heating and the oil pressure is up to 4.5? I'm about 2 weeks out from a service.

I assume it needs more oil and to check this? However my question is do i need to check anything else to make sure i don't damage the engine?

The engine was whining and heat/smoke was coming from the back. Drove it about 100m then put it back in the garage.

Any advice would be amazing as i'm a novice Porsche owner

Thanks in advance RW
So many things could be causing these symptoms it's hard to diagnose through the internet.

I would recommend you check the obvious.
1. Drop the oil pan and check the sump for debris. Check the oil pump inlet screen for debris too. Use a magnet. IMS material is ferrous.
2. You may have a faulty water pump. Remove the serpentine belt and check for resistance. Water pumps on these cars can be the cause of more serious damage to these motors. The plastic impellers are well known to break off with age thus blocking coolant transfer thereby causing overheating that lead to cracks which results in intermix.
3. Do a manometer reading on the oil tube to see how the cylinders and AOS are performing.
4. Do you have a Durametric? If so, check camshaft deviations and fuel trim values.

Old 10-09-2018, 09:47 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, you have 2 ends of the spectrum here.

Based on your "novice Porsche owner" comment I'll make an assumption that dropping the pan and performing any number of advanced diagnosis yourself may be a stretch - I could be VERY wrong though...

That said - have it flat bedded to someone that knows these cars. Likely a water pump.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:56 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Overheating and oil pressure up? Whinning? Hmmm any water in oil? Oil in the coolant expansion tank ? If not you may have gotten really lucky! Don't run it. Have it picked up and brought to a shop (hopefully one that's well versed on the M96 watercooled Porsche engine). When you hear what's going on, let us know. Good luck

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure