Sponsored by:

Cab top seal walked

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 08:49 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Cab top seal walked

I have an odd problem on my 996 cab top, I'm going to have to fix this very soon as the rain is almost here and I have to put it back on for winter.

Attached two pics of a stock 996 cab top inside, the problem on mine is the seal. Shown in one pic with arrows, its kind of moved or walked and isn't where its supposed to be. I tried to show what its like with the second pic with the red line.

When I examined it I could not figure out how the seal attaches or how to move it back, does anyone have an idea?

My suspicion is that someone stored my top wrong and it put force on the seal and over time it moved somehow.

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2018, 08:52 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Don't know what is happening with the attachments but can't get two pics on one post...
Old 10-08-2018, 02:55 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

So I figured out what the problem was and how to fix it, it might help others in the same boat. The seal is held in place by hidden VHB tape, I peeled the seal back and replaced it with new VHB tape and lined it up correctly, the job was a PITA however as the old tape sticks to the rubber really well (after 18 years) so almost impossible to remove.
I tried heat, force and solvent but nothing worked that well. Had to brute force most of it off and stick the new stuff on top.

Here's a couple of pics if it helps

Quick Reply: Cab top seal walked