Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

I do you not hit the rev limiter all the time?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 03:56 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 647 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
HP is one thing, torque is another
Torque is a rotating force produced by an engine’s crankshaft. The more torque an engine produces, the greater its ability to perform work. The measurement is the same as work, but slightly different. Since torque is a vector (acting in a certain direction), it’s quantified by the units pound-feet and newton-meters. When the torque curve falls off, the ability to perform work (move the car thru the air and tire friction loss) lessens.
Berra’s theorem, torque is the capacity to do work, while power is how quickly some strenuous task can be accomplished. In other words, power is the rate of completing work (or applying torque) in a given amount of time. Mathematically, horsepower equals torque multiplied by rpm. H = T x rpm/5252, where H is horsepower, T is pound-feet, rpm is how fast the engine is spinning, and 5252 is a constant that makes the units jibe. So, to make more power an engine needs to generate more torque, operate at higher rpm, or both. But even at higher RPM, if the torque drops off, the car is producing less power, and that lessens the work the engine is able to do. Go ahead...kill me now. The simple rule is "stay within the maximum torque curve for maximum power", i.e, the ability to do work (move the car forward).
I agree with all of the above and usually am much more concerned about torque than HP. A short drive in a Subaru BRZ will tell anyone everything they need to know about HP vs. torque. All this rampant agreement being said, however, both of my 3.4's felt a lot more like the acceleration followed the 996 horsepower curve and not the torque curve. I would never guess that torque peaks at 4700 rpm. In fact, I still don't believe it peaks at 4700 -- just doesn't feel that way to me. I rarely push my car to redline though, so my memory may not be perfect.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:15 PM
turbogrill
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 9964runner
This is all wrong, it's not a rev limiter, it's a shift indicator!
Right on!
Old 10-06-2018, 12:19 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

The fastest way to drive this car is to shift at redline.

You can hit redline easily in 2nd, I agree. To hit it in 3rd requires 100+.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:48 AM
Always wanted 1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Maximum horsepower is achieved at 6,000 RPM, so bumping up to 7,300 RPM at rev limiter doesn't get you much that much more.
The manual weighs more than the auto...?!
Old 10-08-2018, 02:22 AM
Projekt EPiK
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
The fastest way to drive this car is to shift at redline.

You can hit redline easily in 2nd, I agree. To hit it in 3rd requires 100+.
Indicated 106mph in my 99.. and I'll be darn if the limiter doesn't come up quick in first..
Old 10-08-2018, 10:47 AM
Silk
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Always wanted 1

The manual weighs more than the auto...?!
yes ... most probably the dual mass flywheel accounts for the extra engine weight.

Don’t forget the auto transmission on itself weighs a lot more. 100-120lbs.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:39 AM
langg
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Regarding the above discussion on operating at max engine torque:
Don't forget the effect of the gear ratio. If you plot the torque available in each gear up to redline, you will find that even though the engine is not at peak torque, there is more torque available to the wheels at higher RPM and lower gear. For example, at 7000 RPM there is 1695 ft lbs in second gear going into the final drive. In third gear at 4500 RPM there is 1380 ft lbs going into the final drive. If you plot all the gear ratios, you will see that there is always more torque available to the wheels in the lower gears. That is why we shift at redline.

Regards,

Lang G
Old 10-09-2018, 02:50 AM
Projekt EPiK
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I need to get my 99 on a dyno. I could swear that on my drive earlier today that the torque swell starts just after 4000 and relatively short shifting it (which for me is anything less than redline) it gets down the road pretty quickly. I've built a custom x pipe exhaust, catless, and my goal was to maintain backpressure to keep the torque at a usable RPM, as well as a rip snorting wail at WOT. Hit on all regards.. now I just need the powerband proven on paper.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:21 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

^^ It might feel faster, but Lang G is right.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:00 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

autocrossers really bang on the 2nd gear limiter a lot...miata dudes will just lay into it for seconds at a time. I have tapped the 2nd gear one many a time and even the 3rd gear one on occasion. The x51 engine with muffler bypass makes it even worse because it really moves all the power up high and 7k rpm will sneak up on you.

Personally...the limiter is there for a reason. Don't bang it with the car in neutral, but tapping it every now and then in gear isn't the end of the world
Old 10-09-2018, 02:04 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 253 Posts

Italian tune ups!
Old 10-09-2018, 03:01 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by islaTurbine
Italian tune ups!
ouch !
Old 11-30-2018, 11:50 AM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 647 Likes on 396 Posts

Posting on an old thread because my son gave me the answer why it's faster to shift at or near redline despite the torque curve tapering off much earlier. This is common knowledge to those of you who track your cars, so I apologize for (the guy who was educated by his son) preaching to the choir, but since it was an open/unresolved question in this thread, it seems worthwhile to comment. The reason for revving beyond the torque peak is not for acceleration in the gear you are in, but so that the engine is set up to be in the meat of the torque curve after you shift into the next gear.

I still feel (quite possibly incorrectly) like acceleration gets stronger in the current gear as you rise above the torque peak to redline (at least in my 996), so that part of the question isn't answered by this, but there is no question it is faster to shift at or near redline if you are going to go through several gears (despite the power curve showing much earlier peak torque).

Last edited by peterp; 11-30-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:42 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterp

I still feel (quite possibly incorrectly) like acceleration gets stronger in the current gear as you rise above the torque peak to redline (at least in my 996), so that part of the question isn't answered by this...
That’s just your auditory senses and visual cortex taking over. It’s the reason why some low horsepower cars that aren’t really that fast yet still feel very exciting and fast when you drive them. They feel fast.

The drop off in torque after the peak isn’t really that pronounced on these cars either, which I think makes it feel like the car pulls strong all the way to redline.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:44 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by peterp
...The reason for revving beyond the torque peak is not for acceleration in the gear you are in, but so that the engine is set up to be in the meat of the torque curve after you shift into the next gear...
That’s a great point. However, technically, it’s not just for the next gear, it’s also for the gear you are in because even though torque has dropped off, you are still using a gear multiplier that offer greater resultant torque than if you shifted into the next gear. So it’s for both - the current gear, and the next gear.

Quick Reply: I do you not hit the rev limiter all the time?