Sponsored by:

oil pressure needle jumps

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 01:27 PM
dcsjc
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default oil pressure needle jumps

2004 C4S. When started cold, the oil pressure needle is pegged at 5-ish. As the engine warms up the pressure at idle drops eventually to 2. Mid-way through this process, when the pressure is around 3 or 4, when the engine is smoothly idling, the oil pressure needle jumps around. See attached video. At around 12s you can see a dramatic jump. I suspect the sender but wonder if any of you have seen this sort of thing and think otherwise.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
jumping oil pressure gauge.mov (1.81 MB, 127 views)
Old 09-29-2018, 04:04 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

HHHMMM...Your idle is moving around some. Not sure if that is normal. My 2005 C4S does not do that. Having said all of that not sure an @50rpm hunt would cause the oil pressure to fluctuate. In addition, the oil pressure bouncing is significant and rapid. Guess I would start with the oil pressure sender as they are known to be a weak point. Mine puked and cause the bounce to go from normal to zero and back to normal and repeat. Do not wait for that to happen as there is additional costs involved, specifically for new shorts!
Old 09-29-2018, 05:48 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 201 Likes on 130 Posts

Yeah. Start with the sender. Cheap part, relatively easy to install (assuming you have the tool : crow's foot wrench).
Old 09-29-2018, 06:54 PM
DDzPorsche
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

Agreed, start with the sender. I had one fail completely, not good for the blood pressure if it happens while you are driving.....
Old 09-29-2018, 07:03 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

The engine is still warming up, so I think it’s possible that the oil is mixing at different temps, which can cause slight oil pressure fluctuation. I agree that the jumps are probably the sender over-responding to slight changes. The question is, how long will it stay that way before it fails? I’ve seen some older cars do that for years.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:29 PM
shft22
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

I had a similar situation with the oil pressure, except the idle was not moving. I purchased a new sender unit, replaced it and problem solved.

One thing I notice in my case, the old sender unit was completely lose, I was able to unscrew it without the use of a wrench, not sure if this had anything to do with the jumpy gauge or not.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:33 AM
rogazilla
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the needle stay at 0 when you turn the key to acc but not start the engine?

i believe that if it points to anything other than 0 the sender unit is not 100% and probably should be replaced.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:39 AM
dcsjc
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks everyone for the inputs! This forum is awesome.

Originally Posted by rogazilla
Does the needle stay at 0 when you turn the key to acc but not start the engine?
i believe that if it points to anything other than 0 the sender unit is not 100% and probably should be replaced.
Good point, rogazilla. Needle is at zero with the key off and moves to just above 0.5 bar when the key is turned to the accessory position.

Time to replace the sending unit.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:39 PM
ajgordin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similar problem, along with the error message and oil pressure going to zero sometimes when driving. Almost had a heart attack but luckily a quick search in this forum put me at ease. Changing my sender early next week.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:13 PM
yaknart33
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Every now and then my oil pressure light comes on ,land guage starts dancing .I found that the wiring at the oil pressure sensor was poor.I can remove and reinstall connections and it works fine ,must be a common problem.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:43 PM
Os7213
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Mine is also bouncing like that once in a while (RPM is steady tho..)
I will soon clean-up the wires and possibly change the oil sender.
Just wondering if your gauge show ''0'' when you turn the key on the battery before starting the engine. If its showing pressure its a good indication that the oil sender unit have an issue.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:46 AM
yaknart33
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It all depends on the connection ,but key on engine off there is no oil pressure .I was getting low /no oil pressure warning with the little oil can showing ,the needle was jumping alot and a beeping warning when it started .When I looked at the connection it was not anything obvious but removing it and cleaning the connections with wire brush fixed it and put a light coat of die electric grease on it also .Its something that will probably happen again based on the uncovered /unprotected connection .I knew it had oil pressure as there were no abnormal noises from the engine ,I always check the oil level and coolant before I take it out of the garage.

Quick Reply: oil pressure needle jumps