Sponsored by:

Parking Light question

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 09:41 AM
gobs
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Parking Light question

When I pull the light switch and turn to the left nothing seems to turn on. My questions are what is expected in regards to what light should turn on and could this be a new light switch is needed?
The switch does feel a bit sloppy.
Thanks for any input
Old 09-18-2018, 10:16 AM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

With the ignition off, if you pull it and turn it counter-clockwise you can turn on either the left or right parking lights individually, depending on which little arrow you point the dial at. It won't do anything when the ignition is on.

Apparently this has to do with parking, where in some cases you would want the lights lit one side of the car but not the other. It's a pretty useless feature IMO.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:25 PM
gobs
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dkraige
With the ignition off, if you pull it and turn it counter-clockwise you can turn on either the left or right parking lights individually, depending on which little arrow you point the dial at. It won't do anything when the ignition is on.

Apparently this has to do with parking, where in some cases you would want the lights lit one side of the car but not the other. It's a pretty useless feature IMO.
Wow talk about useless but thanks for the reply
Old 09-18-2018, 02:36 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Not useless, designed for parking on the street side in inclement weather conditions, and making it visible so it doesn't get hit by passing motorists. Lots of European cars have them.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:43 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I've used mine before. Some cars have the same feature if you leave the blinker stalk in the left or right position
Old 09-18-2018, 02:46 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,093 Likes on 703 Posts

As said, for Europeans who actually have a brain and know how to drive to get a drivers license. Here in the States, since people turn on their flashers in inclement weather (wrong and against the law), more than likely if you used the side parking lamps either side somebody would just plow into the back of your car thinking they were following a moving car.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:28 PM
Elumere
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
As said, for Europeans who actually have a brain and know how to drive to get a drivers license. Here in the States, since people turn on their flashers in inclement weather (wrong and against the law), more than likely if you used the side parking lamps either side somebody would just plow into the back of your car thinking they were following a moving car.
You’re not wrong..
Old 09-18-2018, 04:32 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 741 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by cds72911
Not useless, designed for parking on the street side in inclement weather conditions, and making it visible so it doesn't get hit by passing motorists. Lots of European cars have them.
Having spent 9 years in Germany I can assure you that this is a very needed function. Most of the time you park halfway on the sidewalk, half in the street. Then you turn on that sides parking lights. It's also designed to use very little electricity so you can safely leave them on all night.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:12 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by knfeparty
I've used mine before. Some cars have the same feature if you leave the blinker stalk in the left or right position
Which may deplete your battery since if you turn the ignition off with the turn signal stalk down or up, the light stays on.

Quick Reply: Parking Light question