996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Air Intake options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 08:38 AM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts

I have done extensive research over the years and the general consensus is that nothing is better than the stock intake. The aftermarket intakes do not give any measurable performance gains and are ridiculously expensive. The mechanics I have spoken to just tell me they are for looks and mild ear candy. They ALL told me its a waste of money, rarely harmful but just a waste. Spend money on an exhaust.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:50 AM
Silk
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I monitored the difference between intake temperature and outside temperature of the stock intake under different circumstances.
In summer conditions with the spoiler down I saw the temperature difference would slowly rise up to 20-30°C. As soon the spoiler goes up it dropped to 3-5°C.

I have no comparable data for the other alternatives. But looking at their design I doubt if any of the so called cold air intakes can beat the stock performance regarding intake temperatures in both circumstances.
At least they will not provide an advantage due to a lower intake temperature but maybe their total breathing capacity differs.

It seems like a consensus that stock intake (or a 997 intake) and apparently the Evoms perform the best.

However topic starter was asking for improving the sound rather then improving performance. So I would advise to check out the resonator by-pass. As it is one of the cheapest mods to do compared to a whole new intake system.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:19 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

That goes for most mods for these engines. Other than 3.8 Raby build or a supercharger (caveat on the last one there), the better approach to tunes, headers, intakes, etc. is to buy a Turbo instead.

But for sound, nothing beats muffler mods on these cars, IMO. The glorious flat-6 sounds best when it’s unsilenced from stock form.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:25 PM
40th steve
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Silk
As I converted my tip car to a manual I capped of the breather hose (or vacuum line as you name it) and fixed the hole in the intake tube with a screw. for aesthetics I ordered a new tube (old picture the one I posted.
It makes sense if you’ve converted from a Tip to Manual (didn’t know that). I looked into what this tube did before I approached Samco to make it for me as it’s fitted to my X51 40AE engine so was aware of its purpose.
I think the fact that it’s often incorrectly called a breather leads to people leaving it open or fitting a small filter to it when installing the silicon hose intake. The term breather suggests that it allows the engine to breath / vent to atmosphere when in fact it’s an important vacuum / Venturi line and should be connected up for the reasons you quoted.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:48 PM
Silk
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Well the engine breathes under idle via this line. So breather hose sounds good. And fitting a small air filter to it is the right way to do it, before the Samco alternative, as otherwise unfiltered air enters the engine.

I drove the car with manual gearbox and the line connected and noticed no particular issue with idle or so. A test would be to cap of the line in a tiptronic car and see its effect on idle. Maybe it

Maybe the purpose is completely different and the brake booster could use some extra vacuum under low rpm ranges to operate, to make sure one could hold the car still with less pedal travel/force?

One way or the other there are some small but smart design alterations made at the factory while developing and fine tuning the engine.

Can you give me a link of a place who sells this particular Samco hose? It is not listed on their website nor in the catalog.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:13 PM
40th steve
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is the info given in the Porsche X51 engine training notes that I have a copy of:

Name:  wrClYLj.png
Views: 229
Size:  749.4 KB

my intake hose came direct from Samco, any dealer should be able to order it for you.

Quick Reply: Air Intake options?