Sponsored by:

Air Intake options?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 09:05 AM
Brian996
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Air Intake options?

I like the sound of a good air intake. Can you recommend a good air intake system for my 996?
Also located this on ebay. Can anyone tell me what purpose this serves?
Old 09-18-2018, 09:38 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 700 Posts

As it turns out, the stock air box with paper filter is the best air intake. Now some others may look good and are labeled cold air intakes, but they are not, and an oiled filter clogs up the MAF sensor eventually. Best to stick with the stock box and filter and go after something else to modify. Just my two cents.....(and cannot see anything about something on ebay) .
Old 09-18-2018, 10:17 AM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
As it turns out, the stock air box with paper filter is the best air intake. Now some others may look good and are labeled cold air intakes, but they are not, and an oiled filter clogs up the MAF sensor eventually. Best to stick with the stock box and filter and go after something else to modify. Just my two cents.....(and cannot see anything about something on ebay) .
2nd. If you want your car to sound different, change the exhaust, not the intake.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:18 AM
Silk
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

You could run a straight pipe between airbox and throttle body to bypass the Helmholtz resonator. It Will give you a bit more pronounced intake sound.

As for alternative intakes the stock airbox and snorkel is indeed very well designed and considered as giving the best performance.

As for intake air temperatures: as soon as the spoiler goes up, the delta T between outside temperature and intake temperature drops within 3-5 degrees under driving conditions. Nothing much to gain there with an aftermarket cold air intake alternative. The only thing they serve is sound over functionality.

I read sometimes that the only meaningful upgrade would be the EVOMs intake or an X51-style airbox. And probably only to consider these when you upgraded your engine to 3.8 or higher displacement and in combination with other tweaks such as i.e. an IPD competition plenum with the larger GT3 throttle body.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:33 AM
D6lc
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Silk
You could run a straight pipe between airbox and throttle body to bypass the Helmholtz resonator. It Will give you a bit more pronounced intake sound.

As for alternative intakes the stock airbox and snorkel is indeed very well designed and considered as giving the best performance.

As for intake air temperatures: as soon as the spoiler goes up, the delta T between outside temperature and intake temperature drops within 3-5 degrees under driving conditions. Nothing much to gain there with an aftermarket cold air intake alternative. The only thing they serve is sound over functionality.

I read sometimes that the only meaningful upgrade would be the EVOMs intake or an X51-style airbox. And probably only to consider these when you upgraded your engine to 3.8 or higher displacement and in combination with other tweaks such as i.e. an IPD competition plenum with the larger GT3 throttle body.
Blocking the Helmholtz resonator does nothing to the performance but adds a much more aggressive intake sound, especially at WOT
Old 09-18-2018, 07:42 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

I removed the resonator and plugged the hole, as well as replaced the intake tube with a silicon version. Gives a much better sound inside the cabin at WOT only. Same thing with my Boxster S. Very intoxicating sound. I also did the Gundo hack on my 996, which adds, yet again, a great sound, although much louder outside the car.

The best part of the intake mod for sound is that it’s completely and easily reversible. Lots of posts on this topic.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:26 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

I stuck a cap from a bottle of Castrol Edge in the opening to the resonator and that did the trick. Just reattach the hose. It fits perfectly. I also have the Fister mod and that is the best bang for the buck.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:21 AM
Silk
Pro

The only reason to close the resonator chamber is to prevent dirt etc to get into it. It is a closed chamber and has no connection to the airbox.
I removed mine completely in order to free up some space above the airfilter. I used a 50mm Oatey gripper plug to close off the gap.

The Fabspeed bypass (see below) uses a fancy carbon fiber cap, I contacted them to know how much it costs, but I found it too expensive.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:29 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

I believe that Jake from Flat 6 has seen performance gains by using the stock 3.8l intake, but outside of that what others have said seems to hold true. While some aftermarket intakes are able to claim HP gains in peak output, the overall power curve of the factory intake is tough to beat. I'm also on the Fister exhaust bandwagon - its the best bang for the buck in terms of improving the sound of the car.

I have an EVOMS v-flow intake that the previous owner installed. So, I can't offer any insights as to whether or not it made a noticeable improvement.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:55 PM
Brian996
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

What is the Fisher exhaust?
Im still doing my research on exhausts.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:15 PM
GH996
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-best-mod.html
Old 09-19-2018, 11:36 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

+1 for 50mm Oatey gripper plug. High quality. I have a red one.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:32 AM
40th steve
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Silk

Whats the deal with the nut & bolt in the silicon hose?
It looks like you've blocked off the hose that usually connects to the inlet hose, its vacuum line not a breather so needs to be connected up. Samco now make the hose in silicon with the connection under part number TB-5570:

Old 09-20-2018, 08:13 AM
Silk
Pro

Sharp eyes!!! Well, I made myself a connection for the breather line which tiptronic cars have, I glued the original connection to the intake tube i got from IPD.
As I converted my tip car to a manual I capped of the breather hose (or vacuum line as you name it) and fixed the hole in the intake tube with a screw. for aesthetics I ordered a new tube (old picture the one I posted

The function of the breather hose on the air intake with the tiptronic cars is to provide a small air bypass of the throttle body. In that context the name breather hose suits perfect. This bypass provides a more stable idle when a tiptronic car is hold stationary in D-mode. The torque converter operating in stall mode allows for movement of the impeller and turbine and as such dissipates some energy. This load could bring unbalance in the idle rpm. I suppose this setup with is typical for e-gas tiptronic cars as earlier non e-gas cars are equipped with a idle control valve.

If you follow the line you will see it is ending in the intake. It is further in connection with the venturi line which is linked to the brake booster. This setup is also called a sucking jet pump. As the venturi effect of the air sucked in the intake via the breather hose will further create a higher vacuum then can be found in the intake manifold. check the schematics and search for part # 996 110 170 51. It interconnects the air intake before the throttle body and the intake manifold (see part # 996 110 151 01).

See also https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ake-996-a.html

Thanks for the Samco part number. If it would not be that I am running the competition plenum with the larger throttle body I would have certainly considered it. As it is not a problem that the breather hose stays in place with a manual gearbox.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:34 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Evoms if you want to go that route. It’s the only one that seems to draw air from the outside - the rest draw engine air.

However - think about once the car starts moving - the engine compartment is full of ‘fresh’ air. So the ‘sucks got air into the engine’ is really at idle. If at all.

Quick Reply: Air Intake options?