Help identify engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 07:56 PM
ajgordin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help identify engine noise

Hi Everyone,

Im an owner of a new to me 03 C4S with 37k miles. The car makes a slight ticking noise which I can hear at idle and it either goes away or is no longer audible after 11-1200 rpm. Could you please tell me whether this is something I should be worried about? I have looked at seemingly every thread and video on the internet regarding lifters and other noises, but I’m really not sure if some ticking is normal. IMS is newly replaced so I think that can probably be eliminated as a potential concern.

thank you in advance for the help!
Old 09-13-2018, 08:00 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 416 Posts

Is the engine fully warmed up?
Old 09-13-2018, 08:10 PM
ajgordin
Advanced

Engine is not fully warmed up but warm enough to go down to a normal idle speed. The noise is the same when the engine is warm. I will add that I think my PSE has a broken mounting? Tab because I get the rattle in first gear only at around 3500 rpm. Could that be causing the issue?
Old 09-13-2018, 08:44 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Open rear lid and listen to each bank closely, if one side has a ticking sound, that's not so good from what I hear. Not sure exactly the cause. Hopefully others with more knowledge will chime in.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:02 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 797 Likes on 510 Posts

Place recording device beneath the cylinder head underneath the car and leave it there for several seconds. Then switch to the other side to do the same. Hard to tell when moving around.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:27 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,770 Likes on 1,106 Posts

Originally Posted by ajgordin
Engine is not fully warmed up but warm enough to go down to a normal idle speed. The noise is the same when the engine is warm. I will add that I think my PSE has a broken mounting? Tab because I get the rattle in first gear only at around 3500 rpm. Could that be causing the issue?
It’s really faint. I would check exhaust, so try to listen by each of the 6 header outputs. Is your PSE open during this video? Can you hear it more or less with PSE open or closed (on or off)?
Old 09-13-2018, 11:18 PM
e90steve
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

When is the last time you had an oil change? What weight oil are you using? Have you checked your oil level?
Old 09-14-2018, 07:40 AM
ajgordin
Advanced

Oil was changed right before I picked up the car at the Porsche dealer, about 700 miles ago and oil level is right in the middle when I check at startup. I am not sure what kind they used but guessing Mobil 1 0w40. Should I use a different oil? I will post back with another video holding the camera under the engine when I have some time this weekend.

PSE is in default (loud) mode in the video. Doesn’t really seem to make a difference whether it’s open or closed.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:31 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

I was over at the 997 forum reading a few threads on the "bore scoring" phenomenon which seems to be big problem with the M96 and M97 motors. Many claim it has a lot to do with cars from colder climates. Any chance you know where this C4S spent most of it's life? Raby has a different take on the subject and ironically he uses a motor out of a 996 C4S to explain that bore scoring is many times misdiagnosed as a noisey lifter. Check it out...
Old 09-14-2018, 09:52 AM
e90steve
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

Oil was changed right before I picked up the car at the Porsche dealer, about 700 miles ago and oil level is right in the middle when I check at startup. I am not sure what kind they used but guessing Mobil 1 0w40. Should I use a different oil? I will post back with another video holding the camera under the engine when I have some time this weekend.

PSE is in default (loud) mode in the video. Doesn’t really seem to make a difference whether it’s open or closed.
I've heard even the dealers are suggesting to run 5w40 Motul 8100. I can't really hear much in the video you posted, but the right oil and weight can have a huge effect on clicks and oil burning.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:09 AM
ajgordin
Advanced

Car is from NJ, garage kept and dealer serviced its entire life. Given that it only has 37k miles, I assume it was primarily driven in fair weather. I may go to another oil type next change.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:20 AM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Car is from NJ, garage kept and dealer serviced its entire life. Given that it only has 37k miles, I assume it was primarily driven in fair weather. I may go to another oil type next change.
There's a lot of oils to choose from, and most all of them are pretty darn good. I've done a lot of research on oils over the years, I hang out at bobistheoilguy.com. When researching what oil to use in my 03 996 I chose Lubri Moly 5W-40 (full synthetic). It's made in Germany and meets all the requirements Porsche had for our cars when they were new and it's reasonably priced on Amazon. I just drive my car as a daily driver and I won't be auto-x'ing or tracking the car.

On the oil level, for street use I would recommend the level be at the top, not halfway.

You will get lots of different recommendations, this is one.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:30 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
On the oil level, for street use I would recommend the level be at the top, not halfway.

You will get lots of different recommendations, this is one.
To avoid risks of overfilling the car with oil and to prevent damage to the AOS, it's best keep the oil level at the middle of the indicator. When a Porsche 996 is at the (BOTTOM) of the indicator, that means it's only 1 liter low on oil. At that point, it's best to add 1/2 of one quart of oil to the car.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:36 AM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
To avoid risks of overfilling the car with oil and to prevent damage to the AOS, it's best keep the oil level at the middle of the indicator. When a Porsche 996 is at the (BOTTOM) of the indicator, that means it's only 1 liter low on oil. At that point, it's best to add 1/2 of one quart of oil to the car.
Does this mean halfway on the dipstick, AND the electronic oil level?
Old 09-14-2018, 11:46 AM
85eurocarrera
Burning Brakes

Received 415 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
IRaby has a different take on the subject and ironically he uses a motor out of a 996 C4S to explain that bore scoring is many times misdiagnosed as a noisey lifter.
is there a video with audio on the internet, on how a m96 should sound on cold start and warm? Does Mr Raby have one of his freshly built motors?

Sorry I don't have answers for the op.

Quick Reply: Help identify engine noise