Replacing interior Trim?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 01:33 PM
kms1990
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Replacing interior Trim?

Hi All,

I am new to the forum. So much to learn here it is great. I am working on restoring and repairing my fathers 2001 C4 996. Its such a fun and awesome car. I want to get it back into the shape it was when he was alive.

I am looking to replace the interior trim. He had custom wood trim on all the interior around the radio and elsewhere. Sun and humidity has damaged and cracked a lot of the these pieces.

I wanted to ask if there anywhere to buy these replacement parts online or elsewhere?

Thank you

Edit: Here are some photos from inside my car
https://ibb.co/n2o5hp
https://ibb.co/i9nboU
https://ibb.co/iKoSv9
https://ibb.co/eDjZa9

Last edited by kms1990; 08-27-2018 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 02:17 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts

Most of the time they would be ridiculously expensive. SOME of the time you can find them on craigslist or ebay from a totaled car. I recently found a lot of trim pieces from a totaled car but a lot of the trim pieces are broken. It would be cheaper and easier to have a shop recreate or cover the pieces with either leather or stick on decals. The original Porsche pieces were of not the best quality unfortunately...
Old 08-26-2018, 11:18 PM
kms1990
Advanced

Darn it. I was afraid that was the case. I am having absolutely no luck finding anything after market in regards of interior trim. I am finding decals which go over already existing trim on eBay however this is not what I am looking for.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:33 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 336 Posts

I would post a WTB in the Marketplace. Sometimes people want to swap out their wood trim for something else and want to sell it to recoup some of the cost. Just be aware that there is more than one shade of wood trim.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:38 PM
barlowdo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your car a single din radio or a nav? There are two different " horseshoes" that wrap around the center area where radio/nav goes.

Also what color are your vents? The wood trim comes with different color vents.

Than in 2001 not sure of other years there is light root wood and dark root wood.

You need to figure out which you have if you are just replacing some pieces.

Than the grain . Not as important but the grain can be a problem when matching the wood trim up.

The horseshoes in wood I have seen have a separate side wood trim piece on both sides of the horseshoe. These trim pieces hold the switches and the cig lighter and so on.

Porsche also makes a horseshoe that has the side trim pieces molded as one unit but I don't think the wood pieces are done like this.

If I am confusing you I have a wood horseshoe listed on Raleigh Craig's list you can view.

I have found trim pieces for sale on eBay and at one time I think Pelican was selling some trim.

And the wood trim is very delicate and you have to be careful installing or removing it. And very expensive from the dealer.

I replaced the center tan leather horseshoe in my car that had the single din radio with a double din Android head unit surrounded by factory light root wood.

Good luck with your restoration.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:17 PM
kms1990
Advanced

Thank barlowdo and wyovino for your help. I am going to take both of you advice. Post a WTB and also look around on craiglist.

I upload some photo links on my original post if you want to have a look. Thanks again.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:27 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

The center dash trim looks good. The trim under the windshield is not worth replacing just get it out and replace with the standard color interior. The doors I would do the same those pieces are a nightmare to find and not worth it. I found some dark burlwood trim from a totaled car and the pieces are intact but very brittle. Porsche really cheaped out on this VERY expensive option.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:51 PM
ilikebigbumpers
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could get standard used black trim pieces and apply wood texture stickers from etsy/ebay/ali. i know ppl laugh at the quality of those things but the oem pieces honestly aren't any more durable. take your time to clean the trim and apply the stickers properly. the result will pleasantly surprise you.
The following users liked this post:
Tomg310 (01-28-2024)
Old 08-27-2018, 06:19 PM
suprmedic
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a bunch of stuff off eBay- there are a couple of used parts dealers that have used interior parts in good condition... I changed out a bunch of grey for black trim to break up my interior...
Old 08-27-2018, 09:12 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

likebigbumpers has the best idea IF you want to keep wood trim look. I just found a bunch of dark wood pieces off a totalled 996 some were broken and unusable some were usable Ill take better pics in daytime but steering wheel door pockets shifter rear console handbrake and horseshoes around upper center console. Broken pieces I did not use were side airvents dashtrim under windshield
Old 08-27-2018, 10:03 PM
ilikebigbumpers
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dranon

likebigbumpers has the best idea IF you want to keep wood trim look. I just found a bunch of dark wood pieces off a totalled 996 some were broken and unusable some were usable Ill take better pics in daytime but steering wheel door pockets shifter rear console handbrake and horseshoes around upper center console. Broken pieces I did not use were side airvents dashtrim under windshield
also...if you are the tinkering kind like me, you'll really appreciate how durable the factory plastic pieces are (or how cheap the used pieces can be found for). between messing around with the audio system, trying different shift consoles, replacing the dozen of door microswitches, and other random fixes/mods, I probably take off most of the major interior trims at least twice a year. would be a downright nightmare if i invested hundreds into a nice wood set.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:34 AM
kms1990
Advanced

likebigbumpers and dranon thanks for the advice. I think I am going to go the route of the plastic factory pieces in any color I can get my hands on. I am then going to either have them custom painted to match the interior color I have or go the sticker route.

Do you guys know if the door panel trim had an option that was actually plastic, or was it a leather type material?

Thank you.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:48 PM
HoustonCgrBkr
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I am in the same boat restoring the interior of 1999 cab. I am looking into hydro dip to give me the Burl wood look. But I am struggling to find those trim pieces too.
Old 09-06-2018, 12:16 PM
kms1990
Advanced

HoustonCgrBrk - I took some others advice on here and started prowling craigslist for cars being parted out. I think I found myself one.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:13 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts

I had great luck with Norspec Dismantling and Quality Porsche Parts. Both were willing to give me bulk discounts when I replaced my interior. They are constantly dismantling cars, so have a steady flow of fresh inventory.

Quick Reply: Replacing interior Trim?