Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Will the real Cobalt Blue please stand up....

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 08:57 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,017 Likes on 520 Posts
Default Will the real Cobalt Blue please stand up....

I have seen many different photos of cobalt blue on the forum - I even went and did a search on the web. The only thing I can tell for sure is that in each photo cobalt blue looks different. Either it is the lighting and angle of view or the photos aren't accurate. The "best looking" photos of cobalt blue, to my eyes, were posted by Marco Polo in the GT2/GT3 forum. Are these photos accurate or were they maybe taken with some type of polarizing lens?

The reason I'm asking is that I am planning on ordering another blue car when I get my next Porsche (most likely the next generation turbo). I love my lapis blue 996 cab, but am looking for something with a little more "pop." Right now I'm thinking either Cobalt Blue or Iris Blue.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:07 PM
caf
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sympathize with you. There is a great deal of overlap in how these colors appear on the computer screen. Lighting, camera angle, software, and the monitor of the viewer all come into play. I'm also fond of the blues (colors, not music) and have found that the following can all masquerade as one another depending on the picture: Lapis, Cobalt, Iris, Zenith.

There is really only one option--you have to find one to look at in person. A few years ago I hurriedly ordered a blue BMW based on how the color appeared on the website; I ended up with something completely different than I expected!
Old 01-18-2004, 01:25 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Remember the Smurfs ? That's Cobalt Blue in person on a bright , slightly overcast day. It's a love it or " hmmm" - type of color. Better see it in person.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:44 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealer color panels

While it's not aperfect substitute every dealer has a set of color panels that you can look at. If they don't have the color you want to look at ask them to get a panel in. It works if you take the panel outside and look at it from different angles and against the other blues you are considering.
Old 01-18-2004, 03:25 PM
Mark House
AutoX

Hi, I recently posted a picture of my Cobalt Boxster S. Yes the lighting, computer, et. al does dramatically effect the color appearence. Remember Cobalt is a metalic paint and is significantly different depending on natural light, sun, clouds, daytime, nightime. ect. It changes appearence significantly which is part of it's appeal should see it in person to really get an appreciation for it.

Mark
Old 01-18-2004, 03:43 PM
JayM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Remember the Smurfs ? That's Cobalt Blue in person on a bright , slightly overcast day.
I suppose it's possible, but to me the "smurf blue" is much closer to Riviera Blue (also known as "Please Arrest Me Officer" blue) or to the original Gulf Blue.

I like Cobalt, in fact I would rate it #2, after the Accept-no-substitutes Iris, but it may be too close to your current Lapis. By all means, try to see them in person.

Old 01-18-2004, 08:28 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by MKW
Remember the Smurfs ? That's Cobalt Blue in person on a bright , slightly overcast day. It's a love it or " hmmm" - type of color. Better see it in person.
Have you ever seen Cobalt Blue in person? I agree with JayM and think you have it confused with Riviera Blue if you think it looks like Smurf Blue. I never confused my Cobalt Blue Boxster S with Smurf Blue and we have plenty of bright, slightly overcast days here in FL.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:29 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

There's a Cobalt GT2 sitting at the Auto Gallery here in Woodland Hills and the one thing I noticed that hte pictures don't convey is that in artifical light it is MUCH brighter than you see in pictures. It's almost got a purple touch to it, definately one of my favorite Porsche colors of all time.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:40 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,017 Likes on 520 Posts

Jay, the car in the photo is iris blue, right? I remember when I was in dental school looking through the 993 brochure and loving the color - I'm leaning heavily in that direction but want to see cobalt blue in person too.
Old 01-19-2004, 12:15 AM
ignacio
Burning Brakes

cobalt blue looks to me like a brighter, lighter version of lapis blue. i find the name cobalt blue to be misleading since it suggests a dark blue color. it's not dark at all. i must say i prefer lapis blue but either is a great color.

the photo above makes the color look darker than it is in real life. smurfs are not an apt comparison--they are too light colored. the bmw m3 comes in a color just like a smurf--how appropriate!
Old 01-19-2004, 01:46 AM
JayM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jay, the car in the photo is iris blue, right?
Yes, that's Iris.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:13 AM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Cobalt is a PITA to photograph because it changes so much based on lighting conditions. Here's links to a couple of shots of my Boxster S taken with the same digital camera so one variable is reduced:

Indoor shot of Cobalt Blue

Outdoor shot of Cobalt Blue

I didn't post the images as they're about 1MB each.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:19 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Talk about a PITA color to photogrpah. That has to be Atlas Grey. They car can look anywhere from dark midnight blue, black, or grey depending on lighting.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:36 AM
ScottW
Advanced

Here's another example of Cobalt.

http://www.symbolicmotors.com/frames...3647/3647.html

-Scott
Old 01-19-2004, 04:50 AM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by ScottW
Here's another example of Cobalt.

http://www.symbolicmotors.com/frames...3647/3647.html

-Scott
This is the car I was talking about, it's now at the Auto Gallery.

Quick Reply: Will the real Cobalt Blue please stand up....