Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

AC duct under driver dash - condensation??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 12:37 PM
uberskier
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Default AC duct under driver dash - condensation??

Something strange just happened the other day - here is the issue and of course what I did. It's my '02 C4S and I've either never noticed this before, so perhaps it's normal and I never noticed it (this is possible)!
  • Underneath the driver side dash is immediately what appears to be the duct for the a/c to go to the driver's side vent (I can't find my 996 technical CD to drill down).
  • The other day it dripped some water onto my foot - I checked - a ton of condensation on it and it was quite cold. Granted it was a super humid day.
  • Today, took a drive with a/c on (~75F outside), again I felt condensation on the outside. Stopped for an hour, drove home - a/c off - didn't feel any condensation.
    • Logically, I now think it has something to do with the a/c system.
  • I looked at some other threads and cleaned out the drain plugs in the frunk on both sides of the battery (although I just vacuumed the stuff from the top and slightly into the plug - I don't have an air compressor so I didn't blow them out - could this be the culprit????)
  • Since it only occurs with the a/c on, I'm thinking it's not an issue with the drain plugs in the frunk (I could easily be wrong).
Any tips, advice, thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric
Old 08-21-2018, 01:00 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,093 Likes on 703 Posts

On the passenger side in the footwell is the AC condensate drain. Pull back the carpet and you will see it. Disconnect it and blow some air through it to make sure it is not clogged up. Stick something up in the condensate drain hole, bottom where you disconnected the hose and make sure it isn't clogged up. Worse case scenario is to pull the HVAC fan and feel around inside to see if there are leaves stuck in there.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:02 PM
uberskier
Pro

Thanks - I will be trying that now!
Old 08-21-2018, 03:34 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Mine did the same thing last month. A couple of drips.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:49 PM
uberskier
Pro

I'm assuming it's that "J" tube at the front of the passenger footwell. One side (larger) has a clamp, the other side doesn't. If so, I need to borrow a friend's air compressor, because a brush or coat hanger isn't cleaning that!
Thanks!
E
Old 08-22-2018, 01:00 PM
uberskier
Pro

Just checked the condensation hose, looks fine. I even ran water through it to double check - everything came out the bottom. There was still some water dripping, so I know it's coming out from the piece by the passenger footwell, which I believe is good.

I don't think it has anything to do with it, but I'll be changing the cabin air filter soon (just ordered the part).

I also included a picture of where on the driver's side do I feel all the condensation. Again, this only occurs with the A/C on.

Thanks,
Eric

Old 08-22-2018, 02:21 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,093 Likes on 703 Posts

Huh. I live in Florida and the humidity here on most days is >90%. So I run the crap out of my A/C all the time. Functions of A/C are cooling the air and de-humidfy, that's why a lot of condensate is generated. I do not have condensation or drips from that ductwork ever. I cannot believe in NY that you would have that much humidity. Did you run something up inside the unit to make sure it is clear of debris? Or on second thought, maybe use a shop vac on the bottom nipple to suck anything out of the HVAC box where the condensate hose connects.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:53 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Huh. I live in Florida and the humidity here on most days is >90%. So I run the crap out of my A/C all the time. Functions of A/C are cooling the air and de-humidfy, that's why a lot of condensate is generated. I do not have condensation or drips from that ductwork ever. I cannot believe in NY that you would have that much humidity. Did you run something up inside the unit to make sure it is clear of debris? Or on second thought, maybe use a shop vac on the bottom nipple to suck anything out of the HVAC box where the condensate hose connects.
Joe
It only happened once in 5 years of my ownership.
As far as NY weather goes. It does often get into 90% humidity. Any characteristic of bad weather, we have it in NY

Quick Reply: AC duct under driver dash - condensation??