Intermittent First Gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 05:51 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Intermittent First Gear

Here are the symptoms:

1. With the engine running, and coming out of neutral, first gear won't engage. The shifter will go where 1st is, but won't actually engage the gear.
2. Shifting into 2nd, then 1st works, most of the time. Sometimes I have to go back and forth between 1st and 2nd a couple of times. 2nd always engages.
3. While parked, engine off and clutch out, the shifter will engage 1st every time.

Every other gear works perfect. I can get into reverse, and 2-3-4-5-6 work like a charm. I never had 2nd gear pop out issues. The transmission fluid is about 10K miles old, and is the Porsche fluid.
I have performed a cable alignment, with the green alignment tool, with no change.

I don't have to tell you embarrassing this is at lights.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:56 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 263 Posts

I bought a 996 with intentions to flip with a similar problem including once in first it would pop out on its own and had to push it back. I had heard that sometimes it is as simple as just changing transmission oil but ultimately we had to replace the tranny. Bought the car for 8K and ultimately put another tranny in it plus an LN upgrade and still made money when we flipped it.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:38 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 797 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by strathconaman
Here are the symptoms:

1. With the engine running, and coming out of neutral, first gear won't engage. The shifter will go where 1st is, but won't actually engage the gear.
2. Shifting into 2nd, then 1st works, most of the time. Sometimes I have to go back and forth between 1st and 2nd a couple of times. 2nd always engages.
3. While parked, engine off and clutch out, the shifter will engage 1st every time.

Every other gear works perfect. I can get into reverse, and 2-3-4-5-6 work like a charm. I never had 2nd gear pop out issues. The transmission fluid is about 10K miles old, and is the Porsche fluid.
I have performed a cable alignment, with the green alignment tool, with no change.

I don't have to tell you embarrassing this is at lights.
Did you inspect the cable attachment points at the transmission shift levers? I hear all kinds of silly things can occur if those are not secure. There are threads here about using an electrical wire tie to secure them if that is the problem. Assume there is no grinding noise when trying to put in first from neutral?
Old 08-12-2018, 09:46 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

No grinding. When it goes into first it goes fine. It will go into first from second while moving, but while stationary...not always.

It just started today, all of a sudden. It could be the clips on the transmission, but doesn't seem likely considering the other 5 forward gears work. I would even think it was a shift fork, but I can get it into second gear no problem.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:10 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lowpue
I bought a 996 with intentions to flip with a similar problem including once in first it would pop out on its own and had to push it back. I had heard that sometimes it is as simple as just changing transmission oil but ultimately we had to replace the tranny. Bought the car for 8K and ultimately put another tranny in it plus an LN upgrade and still made money when we flipped it.
Once it is in first, it stays there.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:29 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 797 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by strathconaman
No grinding. When it goes into first it goes fine. It will go into first from second while moving, but while stationary...not always.

It just started today, all of a sudden. It could be the clips on the transmission, but doesn't seem likely considering the other 5 forward gears work. I would even think it was a shift fork, but I can get it into second gear no problem.
Agreed but wouldn't hurt to skinny under there and take a peek just in case. Forgot to ask is it a stock shifter?
Old 08-12-2018, 10:38 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

It is a stock shifter. Hopefully tomorrow I will have time to get under there and see if there is something going on.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:54 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

It was the clips.

They were both out. I guess I was shifting through force of will.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:38 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 263 Posts

Awesome when its that easy.

Quick Reply: Intermittent First Gear