Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New guy looking to buy a 996. Be nice...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 11:52 AM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts

The face gauges are normally black. White/silver gauges were an extra cost option usually as a package (sport design) with a few other things. There was also an option to have the gauges painted exterior or interior color. So SOME of them will be grey or beige. This was a very rare chosen option.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:14 PM
6L6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my SIL's 2002 cabriolet in May 2016 with 61,000 miles on the clock. 6-Speed manual transmission (a MUST for me).

I've put 12,000 miles on it since I've owned it and experienced ZERO problems. Everything works as designed.

The car DID have the IMS replaced as a precautionary move at 40,000 miles.

I'm a retired USAF Pilot with over 10,000 hrs in my log book. What you never wanted to see was your plane that day was fresh out of the service dock, having been gone through for 90 days. Those were always the planes that gave you trouble.

In short, machines that are designed to be run NEED TO BE RUN! "Save them for special occasions" is a sure fire road to maintenance problems. If you get your 996, DRIVE IT whenever you have the chance!

Bottomline: I have had so much FUN owning and driving this car I can't put it into words. If anything happens to this one, I will run out and buy another just like it.

Good luck to you!

Bill
Old 08-12-2018, 09:41 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 253 Posts

Here were/are my musts for a 996:

-99-01 Mk.I body because I prefer those headlights. I prefer 99 C2 due to the throttle cable and the double row IMS.
-Factory Aerokit - such a beautiful and functional addition to the 996.1 body
-Full leather interior - it’s simply an amazing option that really transforms the interior. All 996s should have come this way from the factory.
-Alumalook gauges

And here are my nice to have options if I can find them:
- Aerokit rear spats - they’re rarer and it can be difficult to find the proper car that actually came with them.
- LSD rear end - more for a rarity factor than anything else
- Sport Seats - ‘nuff said.
- Aluma shifter and e-brake

Everything else is gravy.

Quick Reply: New guy looking to buy a 996. Be nice...