Old 07-17-2018, 10:21 PM
911GMTS
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 Engine compartment lid release help

Hello,
I have a 2002 996 Carrera.
The engine-lid switch is not working.
The emergency release cable has come lose. I used it a few times to open the lid, went to try it again and it did not open the lid, just kept coming out about a foot more than usually.

The alarm box was replaced (got wet) just prior to me purchasing the car.
I tried a new switch, no luck.

Any suggestion on how to open the rear lid? Access the latch? Jump the switch? anything that will open the rear lid?

Does anyone know if the rear switch is programmed or tied to the alarm box?
I suspect the Alarm box may have issues? will not go into why.

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2018, 11:24 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by 911GMTS
Hello,
I have a 2002 996 Carrera.
The engine-lid switch is not working.
The emergency release cable has come lose. I used it a few times to open the lid, went to try it again and it did not open the lid, just kept coming out about a foot more than usually.

The alarm box was replaced (got wet) just prior to me purchasing the car.
I tried a new switch, no luck.

Any suggestion on how to open the rear lid? Access the latch? Jump the switch? anything that will open the rear lid?

Does anyone know if the rear switch is programmed or tied to the alarm box?
I suspect the Alarm box may have issues? will not go into why.

Thanks!
Rear lid is tied into the alarm box and the horn will sound once if you lock the car and leave it open.

I'd suggest scanning with a PIWIS at the dealership or independent it might give you an error code.

To your knowledge was the lid working before the alarm module was replaced? The emergency cables on the 996 aren't in great locations IMO.
​​​​​​
Old 07-18-2018, 02:12 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Battery have a full charge?
Old 07-18-2018, 09:12 AM
911GMTS
AutoX

Thanks for the replies.
Dealer was no help, incidentally the same-one that swapped the alarm box; wanted carte blanche to start work. possibly rewire the alarm box and lid switches, etc...
didn't know how many hours to manual open the lid etc...$$$ said it was not programing but wont not try.

Yes, the battery is charged.
I do not know if it worked prior to alarm box swap. I suspect it did BUT the actuator may be bad I do not know.
More to the puzzle. The wire connector plug for the rear lid activates the front truck lid when I connect the front truck switch. New rear switch does nothing. Front lid works 100%
Thanks Again.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:15 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Sound silly but have you tried opening it while someone else actuates the switch?

When mine wasn't quite aligned I needed someone to help. In saying that if you can't hear the release then maybe it has a problem.

Last edited by dan_189; 07-18-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:37 AM
911GMTS
AutoX

I will try that but i dont hear anything.

How do you jump it from the fuse box? I know the Front lid has the tab in the fuse box.

Thanks
Old 07-18-2018, 09:40 AM
dan_189
Race Car

I will try that but i dont hear anything.

How do you jump it from the fuse box? I know the Front lid has the tab in the fuse box.

Thanks
Sorry, brain fade... You're correct you can only jump the front.

If you have the emergency cable, pull on it while someone else pulls up on the lid.

Trending Topics

Old 07-18-2018, 10:15 AM
michaelo
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for the replies.
Dealer was no help, incidentally the same-one that swapped the alarm box; wanted carte blanche to start work. possibly rewire the alarm box and lid switches, etc...
didn't know how many hours to manual open the lid etc...$$$ said it was not programing but wont not try.

Yes, the battery is charged.
I do not know if it worked prior to alarm box swap. I suspect it did BUT the actuator may be bad I do not know.
More to the puzzle. The wire connector plug for the rear lid activates the front truck lid when I connect the front truck switch. New rear switch does nothing. Front lid works 100%
Thanks Again.
Dealer was no help? What do you mean by this? Did you actually leave it with the dealer and allow him to try to fix it and he gave it back to you saying this can't be fixed?
Incidentally the same-one that swapped the alarm box; wanted carte blanche to start work. possibly rewire the alarm box and lid switches, etc...
didn't know how many hours to manual open the lid etc.
Well how is he supposed to know how long this would take to fix? It sounds like there are a lot of problems and it could require quite a bit of work to make it right. Opening the lid is not enough, you also need to make it work consistently all the time.
Let me understand this right, the wire connector plug for the rear lid somehow opens the front lid....well this sounds like the wiring is all screwed and you wonder why the dealer wants carte blanche to start work.
The emergency release cable has come lose. Do you mean its no longer connected to anything at the other end and it has completely come out? I used it a few times to open the lid, (and why didn't you fix the problem wihen you had it open?) went to try it again and it did not open the lid, just kept coming out about a foot more than usually. And what happens when it is completely stretched and you pull it?

Old 07-18-2018, 11:53 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

So the actuator for the engine bay lid does not work...and the emergency release cable has come undone. That is going to be some serious problem. First thing I would try is to hot-wire the switch with 12V and have someone pull up on the lid. If that doesn't work, then someone will probably have to pull the exhaust system out so you can reach a hand or tool up inside the engine bay to try to pop the latch. Not fun at all.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:46 PM
dan_189
Race Car

That is one of my greatest 996 fears...

Even with the exhaust removed it will be extremely difficult
Old 07-19-2018, 08:45 AM
911GMTS
AutoX

Originally Posted by michaelo
Dealer was no help? What do you mean by this? Did you actually leave it with the dealer and allow him to try to fix it and he gave it back to you saying this can't be fixed?
Incidentally the same-one that swapped the alarm box; wanted carte blanche to start work. possibly rewire the alarm box and lid switches, etc...
didn't know how many hours to manual open the lid etc.
Well how is he supposed to know how long this would take to fix? It sounds like there are a lot of problems and it could require quite a bit of work to make it right. Opening the lid is not enough, you also need to make it work consistently all the time.
Let me understand this right, the wire connector plug for the rear lid somehow opens the front lid....well this sounds like the wiring is all screwed and you wonder why the dealer wants carte blanche to start work.
The emergency release cable has come lose. Do you mean its no longer connected to anything at the other end and it has completely come out? I used it a few times to open the lid, (and why didn't you fix the problem wihen you had it open?) went to try it again and it did not open the lid, just kept coming out about a foot more than usually. And what happens when it is completely stretched and you pull it?
The dealer would not accept the car without me authorizing an open invoice just to open the lid.
I tried myself to troubleshot and I did replaced the switch prior to the wire cable failing; hindsight I would have inspected the wire cable release.
At the time I believed the alarm box was the RC hence seeking the dealer to troubleshot or reprogram the alarm box they installed, they said "the lid is not tied to the alarm system".
Old 07-19-2018, 08:53 AM
dan_189
Race Car

The dealer would not accept the car without me authorizing an open invoice just to open the lid.
I tried myself to troubleshot and I did replaced the switch prior to the wire cable failing; hindsight I would have inspected the wire cable release.
At the time I believed the alarm box was the RC hence seeking the dealer to troubleshot or reprogram the alarm box they installed, they said "the lid is not tied to the alarm system".
In some way it is tied to the alarm that's why the alarm beeps if the rear lid is left open.

This is a difficult situation, what were they going to do if you had signed the invoice?
​​​​
Old 07-19-2018, 09:20 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

I know your problem is getting the engine lid open. Does the key work to start the car? That right there will tell you if something is wrong with the alarm/immobilizer system. Also, does the key work to lock/unlock the car? When locking the car, are you getting a horn beep that indicates an open zone? What happens when you manually lock/unlock the car with the console button? Does everything lock/unlock correctly? I know on my lowly 99 C2 with cable pulls, the alarm system will lock down the cable pulls next to the drivers seat and will not allow them to be pulled open when the alarm system is set. I actually don't know how it works with the electric openers/switches, but it could be similar. If the alarm system is activated, it may not allow the switches to operate. Thus my earlier comment to hot wire the engine lid actuator wires, bypassing the engine lid switch altogether, and the security system.

I'm getting what it is that you have tried...I think. You replaced the engine lid switch and it doesn't work. So you tested it by connecting it to the front lid switch/wiring and it works 100% of the time to open the front lid. Is that right? So it is not the switch. It is probably the engine lid actuator that has failed. If the hot wire jump to the actuator wires for the engine lid does not work, and the cable pull has become disconnected, the only way to get the engine lid open is to start removing stuff from under the engine, i.e., the exhaust system to begin with.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:15 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Also, have you tried having soeone else lift the lid while you push the switch (mention earlier)? If the lid strut is shot it won't pop up off the latch if I recall with mine.
If all else fails, use a narrow flat bar (I/4" wide) and bend it to form an L with about 6" on the short side. If you can get it up in there on center, the latch move towards the driver side to release (direction of the cable pull) You may need to remove the bumper cover at minimum.
The cable is pretty long, have you pulled it all the way out?
Old 07-19-2018, 04:25 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

That's the thing. Cannot remove bumper cover with the engine lid closed. There are the 3 or 4 screws and metal flat bar just under the engine lid that have to be removed in order to remove the bumper cover. This is really a conundrum.

Quick Reply: 996 Engine compartment lid release help