Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Product Development: Who Makes Your Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 06:49 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 689 Likes on 438 Posts
Default 996 Product Development: Who Makes Your Headers?

Of course you might know the name of the company, but do you actually know WHO makes your exhaust products? Here is a video of one of our top fabricators, Ben, working on some 996 & 997 Carrera Sport Headers.

>>Who Makes Your Headers? | Fabspeed Fabrication<<

At Fabspeed Motorsport, we believe there is much more to a successful business than a great product. In any competitive industry, when a company designs and creates a great product others are sure to follow suit. This can be great for innovation and progress of an industry, but it can be hard for a customer to tell which companies are rooted in deep industry knowledge and which companies are just trying to fake it ‘til they make it. There is one thing that will always help to distinguish these two apart and that is asking good questions.

Can they tell you the name of the person who fabricated your product? Can they tell you why a product is made a certain way? Can they tell you which other prototypes they tested and why they picked the final version they are selling to you?

Here are our 996 Carrera Sport Headers next to their OEM counterpart. Our system adds 26 WHP, 20 ft/lbs of TQ, and saves 2 lbs. compared to the heavier, restrictive OEM headers. Our Carrera Sport Headers are constructed using T304 stainless steel, the highest grade used in exhaust products. The craftsmanship is evident in each and every weld which you can clearly see on all Fabspeed products; we have no reason to add a finish, paint, or cover to our product, which hides imperfections and creates that mass-produced “off the conveyor belt” look. We want to draw attention to the quality of our hand-crafted products, not hide it.

Everyone is welcome to stop by our shop in Fort Washington, PA, and you can meet the people who originally designed and developed your product, the people who personally crafted each weld, and the people who helped you through your entire buying process.

We have a ton of in-depth fabrication videos in the works, so keep an eye out and if anybody has anything they would specifically like to see let us know in the comments below. If anybody has any other questions just leave a comment or you can reach me privately via PM, email, or phone.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:26 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 245 Posts

Before I purchased my headers, I did a lot of research, what I found was alarming.

This modification to my 996 was the most difficult to decide on, because of misleading advertising. There are many famous "BRAND" name headers that are sourced from Southeast Asia, and the same header can be purchased for pennies on the dollar.
Don't be fooled by claims like made of "German Steel" in a description and think they are from Germany, always ask "Country of Origin" Look for equal length primary tubes, with no seems. Look at the images carefully, and you will begin to see multiple brands having same images.

I was buffonoed on my first selection. I ordered a pair from a European Performance Part Manufacturer (Very Popular). When the headers arrived, there was one primary tube on each side seemed together, this was done because the radius needed to form the tube could not be made properly. This manufacturer actually photo shopped their image on their own website, removing the welded seem, which then leads to all the retailer selling their headers using a bogus image.

Lesson learned, sent them back across ocean to get money back

I have a sheet metal fabricator and welding backround.

Fabspeed are good headers with a good design on collector.

NO AFFILIATION WITH FABSPEED
Old 07-17-2018, 09:03 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fab speed makes mine. 😃
Old 07-17-2018, 09:50 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 797 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport
Here are our 996 Carrera Sport Headers next to their OEM counterpart. Our system adds 26 WHP, 20 ft/lbs of TQ, and saves 2 lbs. compared to the heavier, restrictive OEM headers. Our Carrera Sport Headers are constructed using T304 stainless steel, the highest grade used in exhaust products. The craftsmanship is evident in each and every weld which you can clearly see on all Fabspeed products; we have no reason to add a finish, paint, or cover to our product, which hides imperfections and creates that mass-produced “off the conveyor belt” look. We want to draw attention to the quality of our hand-crafted products, not hide it.

Everyone is welcome to stop by our shop in Fort Washington, PA, and you can meet the people who originally designed and developed your product, the people who personally crafted each weld, and the people who helped you through your entire buying process.

We have a ton of in-depth fabrication videos in the works, so keep an eye out and if anybody has anything they would specifically like to see let us know in the comments below. If anybody has any other questions just leave a comment or you can reach me privately via PM, email, or phone.

Your headers look very nice. Question on the hp/tq claims. Is it safe to assume you that you have the dyno sheets from the tests showing this gain? If so, would you release them. Is the claimed gain repeatable? BTW your website states 15hp and 12tq for the 996 version headers...assume your above numbers are more recent?
Old 07-17-2018, 10:06 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Of course you might know the name of the company, but do you actually know WHO makes your exhaust products? Here is a video of one of our top fabricators, Ben, working on some 996 & 997 Carrera Sport Headers.

At Fabspeed Motorsport, we believe there is much more to a successful business than a great product. In any competitive industry, when a company designs and creates a great product others are sure to follow suit. This can be great for innovation and progress of an industry, but it can be hard for a customer to tell which companies are rooted in deep industry knowledge and which companies are just trying to fake it ‘til they make it. There is one thing that will always help to distinguish these two apart and that is asking good questions.

Can they tell you the name of the person who fabricated your product? Can they tell you why a product is made a certain way? Can they tell you which other prototypes they tested and why they picked the final version they are selling to you?

I have a question. Not being a smartass either, i really want to understand.

I recently purchased a 04 C4S. Completely bone stock car. I have since installed your Competition Carbon Fiber Intake and my lightly used Maxflo Muffler will be delivered tomorrow. Your statement above says the system provides 26 whp. What does system mean? I just read on the website that the header (for my application) add 15hp. The Intake adds 25whp. And the mufflers add 12 whp. That adds up to 52hp with all 3. Please explain the confusion. And i know its wrong to say this. But my butt dyno didn't feel the power when i did the intake and i'm sure i won't with the exhaust either. Now i won't disagree that some power may be added and without question the car sounds a hell of alot better. But $ for $, i find it hard to see the value/price in these products. It almost feels like they Porsche Tax was applied. And for thoses who ask why i spent the money. I did not pay nearly the retail prices listed on Fabspeeds website.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:50 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 545 Posts

Old 07-18-2018, 12:31 AM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
+1
Old 07-18-2018, 07:19 AM
User 63031
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

What exactly is the issue with tubes that have welded seams in them to make the bend instead of a single bend? And does that single difference (no welded seams) really cost 1440$ in production costs? I mean, these are 160$;

I'm a physicist first and foremost, and the only thing that makes any sense from that point of view is the equal-length headers. Well-placed welds don't add a restriction to the flow as long as the bends are still smooth, and those welds itself look fine. T304 steel seems to be the market standard, most if not all boast that. So what makes your product worth 1600$ while the ones with a weld-seam in the middle are 160$? It's literally 10-fold. Were they forged by wood-elves during full moon?

In all seriousness though, I'd be happy to hear where that other 1440$ go to in terms of performance and/or quality. It kinda does seem like Porsche Tax to me.
The following users liked this post:
brontosaurus (03-09-2021)
Old 07-18-2018, 11:05 AM
BTERRY1
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 07-18-2018, 12:07 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 135 Posts

One other visual difference is in the mounting flange to the head. The fabspeed flange looks like a two-piece arrangement similar to the Porsche one, whereas the Low cost one looks to be one solid piece. I’m not suggesting this explains the cost delta, or that one is superior to the other, only that it is an obvious difference.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:10 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,482 Likes on 1,324 Posts

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
+1
+2
Old 07-18-2018, 01:33 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 689 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
Your headers look very nice. Question on the hp/tq claims. Is it safe to assume you that you have the dyno sheets from the tests showing this gain? If so, would you release them. Is the claimed gain repeatable? BTW your website states 15hp and 12tq for the 996 version headers...assume your above numbers are more recent?
Hey wildbilly32,

Great question. Not just for Fabspeed but in general if you see differing gain numbers on a particular product, it usually can be attributed to various RPM ranges being referred to.

For example, the 26 WHP and 20 ft/lbs. of TQ we’re referring too is gained right around the 4,000 RPM mark. Most companies, us included, most often use the numbers that are the highest wherever they may lie in the RPM range. This can be referred to as the maximum delta. The next most common number used are the peak gains, which is what is currently listed on our website. This is the increase in highest possible numbers and what most people assume they are reading whenever they see gain numbers.

Here is the Dyno Chart comparing our Fabspeed Porsche 996 Carrera Sport Headers to a Porsche 996 Carrera that is bone stock.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:43 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,792 Likes on 2,161 Posts

I have a 99 Cab with Fabspeed headers, and a 99 Coupe with Asian headers. Another difference I noticed is in the area inside where the three pipes are welded to the collector. The Fabspeed header has a cleaner weld that is more contoured that will obviously flow better.

The Fabspeed headers were already on the Cab when I bought it, no idea on age. The Asian headers I bought when they first were available about 10 years ago, I paid $79 for them. Neither set of headers have had any leaks, cracks, or anything like that, just bolt on and forget it.

Are the Fabspeed headers higher quality and out horsepower the Asian ones? Absolutely !! Are they 10 times better, or in my case 20 times better? You have to answer that yourself. I'm past the horsepower stage in my life, but when I was in the competition and racing, I had a saying "if you want an extra 100 horsepower, find one horsepower in 100 different places"...
Old 07-18-2018, 02:00 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 797 Likes on 510 Posts

Hey wildbilly32,

Great question. Not just for Fabspeed but in general if you see differing gain numbers on a particular product, it usually can be attributed to various RPM ranges being referred to.

For example, the 26 WHP and 20 ft/lbs. of TQ we’re referring too is gained right around the 4,000 RPM mark. Most companies, us included, most often use the numbers that are the highest wherever they may lie in the RPM range. This can be referred to as the maximum delta. The next most common number used are the peak gains, which is what is currently listed on our website. This is the increase in highest possible numbers and what most people assume they are reading whenever they see gain numbers.

Here is the Dyno Chart comparing our Fabspeed Porsche 996 Carrera Sport Headers to a Porsche 996 Carrera that is bone stock.
A few more questions: So was the same car used in this test? I.E.: Run a dyno with stock headers, change to the FS headers, then run the same car again. If so how far apart in time? I don't see any temperature/humidity nor time indicators? Or was it two different cars? What about repeatability? This appears to be a one run comparison.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:02 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

T321SS ??

Quick Reply: 996 Product Development: Who Makes Your Headers?