Sponsored by:

Casually looking for 996 C2 for track use

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 11:06 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
I have a stripped and caged '99 996 6MT that I'm about to start building into a race car. I'd be happy to custom build it for you if you'd like. Some ball parks on finished costs would be around $25K for DE, 30k for SP996, and $35k for GTB1 Spec.
Unfortunately, I am not in a market for a caged car, and since I plan to register the car, I need one that passes emission, and want A/C. May be I am describing a pink elephant! Otherwise, I'll be talking to you about a build.

May be the way to go is to look for a 99 without PMS, but IMS/Clutch/etc. update and build in to a DE car myself.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:47 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nader Fotouhi
Unfortunately, I am not in a market for a caged car, and since I plan to register the car, I need one that passes emission, and want A/C. May be I am describing a pink elephant! Otherwise, I'll be talking to you about a build.

May be the way to go is to look for a 99 without PMS, but IMS/Clutch/etc. update and build in to a DE car myself.
No, not a pink elephant - you are describing my car. 1999 C2 with Full suspension package (Tarett, Ohlins, Elephant Racing), RSS roll bar (not cage), OMP seats and harnesses, lightened interior but not totally stripped, OS Gikken LSD, and still has wonderfully working AC!

Oh, and a LNE/Raby 3.8 conversion Track Performer II package including the IMS Solution with further upgraded pistons and a 2qt deep sump and X51 baffles, Fabspeed headers, cat bypass x-pipe, and Maxflo mufflers.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:22 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Chip
No, not a pink elephant - you are describing my car. 1999 C2 with Full suspension package (Tarett, Ohlins, Elephant Racing), RSS roll bar (not cage), OMP seats and harnesses, lightened interior but not totally stripped, OS Gikken LSD, and still has wonderfully working AC!

Oh, and a LNE/Raby 3.8 conversion Track Performer II package including the IMS Solution with further upgraded pistons and a 2qt deep sump and X51 baffles, Fabspeed headers, cat bypass x-pipe, and Maxflo mufflers.
Now that I am getting mine track ready, I can appreciate how much you spent on this car. Sounds like a really nice setup. So nice, I'd be paranoid about stuffing it into the wall.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:49 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 545 Posts

I have a stripped and caged '99 996 6MT that I'm about to start building into a race car. I'd be happy to custom build it for you if you'd like. Some ball parks on finished costs would be around $25K for DE, 30k for SP996, and $35k for GTB1 Spec.
Really good priceing IMHO! I bet it's silver too
Old 07-17-2018, 01:53 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by porschedog

I've had the wheels painted black subsequent to this photo.
My 03 C2 has PSM and a switch to deactivate it.

It is my DD. I bought it as a CPO in '06. It has 66K miles so far. I've done the IMS thing (twice thanks to dooshbag local indy) and some suspension bits. Upgrades include Recaros and a Gemballa exhaust

I've tracked it, but not since the GT3 joined the fleet

It was not chosen as an investment which is good as the value might be 50% of what I paid in 2006.

I love it and will keep driving it as long as it is willing & able.
How's the badge in the middle of your license plate working for you ?
Old 07-17-2018, 05:15 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Really good priceing IMHO! I bet it's silver too
It's black believe it or not. My original silver one has been sitting for about 6 months waiting patiently for me to put an engine into.

Originally Posted by Blue Chip
^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

For real.

That's a screaming deal. And Slakker does good work.... (my car being a great example)
Thanks Blue Chip!
Old 07-17-2018, 08:33 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 245 Posts

Wow, that is very fair pricing
Old 07-17-2018, 11:20 PM
Vipertag313
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

FWIW, there's a very well setup spec 996 for sale on the rennlist marketplace right now. No ac, and you'd have to probably fix the emissions. But it looks to be a fully prepped car with the right safety in mind https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...-race-car.html
Old 07-17-2018, 11:51 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 93 Posts

Unlike the C4, the '99 C2 did not have PSM as an option as it uses cable throttle. Some have traction control and ABD, but those typically also have LSD- like mine
Old 07-18-2018, 01:01 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vitaminC
Unlike the C4, the '99 C2 did not have PSM as an option as it uses cable throttle. Some have traction control and ABD, but those typically also have LSD- like mine
I have done a search, but do not find anything about ABD. What is it?

Is the difference that PSM is an electronic "traction control" which uses E-gas and ABS to control wheel spin, while TC and ABD use only LSD to mechanically keep single rear wheel from loosing traction?

BTW, thanks for all the information and PMs with helpful hints about various areas like that need attention in 996 (i.e. a 3rd radiator for track use). My goal in starting this thread has been to learn about 996 moded for DE use, rather than troll for cars FS, as I have been chided in a PM (no worries though). There are a lot more Caymans at DE or PCA club races than early 996.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:05 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vipertag313
FWIW, there's a very well setup spec 996 for sale on the rennlist marketplace right now. No ac, and you'd have to probably fix the emissions. But it looks to be a fully prepped car with the right safety in mind https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...-race-car.html

Thanks for the link. I have seen that car, but my experience is that "un-racing" a race car is not worth the effort. Otherwise, I would do that with our 993.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:51 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

I do like that SP996. Throw a set of Pirelli DH scrubs on it and it will outrun most GT3's.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:07 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do like that SP996. Throw a set of Pirelli DH scrubs on it and it will outrun most GT3's.
He does so routinely. Short of the straights - its tough to catch him... That car is a beast.... I have been in it many many times and can vouch for the mechanical condition.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:42 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 93 Posts

I have done a search, but do not find anything about ABD. What is it?

Is the difference that PSM is an electronic "traction control" which uses E-gas and ABS to control wheel spin, while TC and ABD use only LSD to mechanically keep single rear wheel from loosing traction?

BTW, thanks for all the information and PMs with helpful hints about various areas like that need attention in 996 (i.e. a 3rd radiator for track use). My goal in starting this thread has been to learn about 996 moded for DE use, rather than troll for cars FS, as I have been chided in a PM (no worries though). There are a lot more Caymans at DE or PCA club races than early 996.
Automatic Brake Differential (ABD) brakes the spinning wheel (rear only) if traction is lost. It is independent of LSD, which is completely mechanical.

Quick Reply: Casually looking for 996 C2 for track use