Sponsored by:

Cracked Ignition Coils

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 06:28 PM
exthree
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Cracked Ignition Coils

In a previous post I wrote about a coolant spill after spirited driving. Many responded to check for cracks in the coolant tank or loose cover. Turned out that the coolant tank was cracked and leaked when the coolant expanded. I topped off the tank with distilled water, and was able to drive to the shop for repairs without any danger of overheating. After the tank was replaced, my tech said that several ignition coils were cracked, and this could produce misfires especially if damp/wet. He suggested replacing all six. 51,000 miles and almost 15 years old!

What should I know about cracked ignition coils and misfiring when damp? Is this an emergency (I think not)? If there are misfires is there a risk of damage to the cylinder, valves or pistons? Your esteemed recommendation, please! /X3
Old 07-12-2018, 06:51 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

I'll get burned for this (ducks) but when I did my mufflers some of my coils were cracked, so I repaired them. I used a soldering iron to melt over the cracks (its filled nylon) then put some high quality RTV over the crack repair.

My car runs great, as far as I know the cracks don't cause any actual failure themselves, all they do is weaken the high voltage isolation, which then if wet fails and allow arcing and misfire. With the cracks filled in and insulated all should be good.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:04 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris(MA)
I'll get burned for this (ducks) but when I did my mufflers some of my coils were cracked, so I repaired them. I used a soldering iron to melt over the cracks (its filled nylon) then put some high quality RTV over the crack repair.

My car runs great, as far as I know the cracks don't cause any actual failure themselves, all they do is weaken the high voltage isolation, which then if wet fails and allow arcing and misfire. With the cracks filled in and insulated all should be good.
I'm with Chris, I don't know the technical hazard, but this spring after sitting in the relatively cool garage for almost two weeks during massive rain falls I finally got a chance(excuse) to run an errand in the now hot weather. I went about three blocks and got the misfire code for a single cylinder. Took it back home. I did nothing other than confirm the cylinder misfiring. That has been two months ago and still running good. I plan to renew plugs, coils and injectors this winter but for now...I guess I'm livin' on the edge!
Old 07-12-2018, 11:22 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

The short answer is No, you don't have to change them if you're not having issues with them. When it comes time to replace the plugs, do the coils at the same time - shared labor, parts are relatively inexpensive.

I'm in the process of replacing my plugs and coils after getting a P0301 code (Cylinder 1 misfire). As far as I know, the coils are original (MY 2000, ~70k miles). My plugs still have another 17k miles on them but if you've ever done the replacement yourself, you'll understand why I'm doing them with the coils.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:27 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not an emergency unless you have active faults for misfires. I would put it on the list though. You dont want to be out on a road trip and have it start misfiring in the middle of nowhere. You're due for spark plugs at 60,000 miles, that would be a good time to do the coils.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:50 AM
exthree
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

All good info, and thank you for your replies! /exthree
Old 07-13-2018, 09:12 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

I had a cracked coolant expansion tank (second time it did this) and it leaked down on the coil packs and I got misfires, once I replaced the coil pack for the left rear cylinder, it went away, I replaced all of them after that.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:24 AM
Astro
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

I just went thru this. It wasn't anything sudden, but I noticed the car was running rougher and rougher. Finally the CEL came on, I stopped at the Autozone and it came back with a P0301 code. I drove it a few more days(it was scheduled to go in to the shop anyway) and on the day I brought it in I thought it was going to die. Extremely rough, vibrations all over, etc.... They replaced all the coils and my O2 sensor and now everything is as it should be again.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:48 PM
carlos911c4s
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 02 C4Sjust got diagnosed with cracked coils. I took it in because the engine actually died while in motion. Turns out several coils didn’t even register anymore. So I’ll be replacing the packs as soon as they get in.

Quick Reply: Cracked Ignition Coils