996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Got my dream car, now what to do to it

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 01:07 AM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

If you wanna replace wear items that are needed , have at it. Before you do the coolant tank, drive it a bit to ensure no other hoses are leaking and inspect for any that may look brittle. If you have records, figure out the last time it’s had a water pump and thermostat and then change all together. Wouldn’t hurt to clean the radiators and poke around there too for anything that looks worn, wonky or leaking. Belt can easily be done then too.

Then just drive it. Get a good feel for how it drives stock and let that be your guide towards suspension, go fast or exhaust upgrades. Enjoy, it’s a great car.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:28 AM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Old 07-12-2018, 11:39 AM
RickMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice!
Old 07-12-2018, 11:57 AM
rotorite
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats! Definitely drive it, but if you're after some small parts that make the drive a bit more enjoyable, maybe a short shifter of some sort and a set of sway bars? I have a 4S as well and the sway bars took out a lot of the roll in corners which was what I would imagine a sporty car would feel like.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:10 PM
Manda Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

I’m having my latest car partially wrapped— if yours isn’t you could consider looking into a partial wrap or coating to prevent all the white chips that can form quickly from roads.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:23 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbren1979
Thought about the whole porsche club thing.....im a little shy about meeting new people....would love to track the car but wouldnt know the first thing about how to do it, where and all that.

all fluids will be changed by me in the next few weeks.
Go for it! Instructors will sit you all down and give you guidance as they don't just let you go at it on your own...
Start saving $$ for the unexpected big repair bill. All rubber and plastic bits will need updating if not already done.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:24 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 957 Likes on 598 Posts

OP,
Good words from the Rennlisters. My fun was going through the car and making sure all the fasteners were correct and functional, checking the undertrays, all the hoses, all the cosmetics like the covers over the front trunk release and under the wipers. Did you put screens for the radiators in? Loved getting to know the 996 and made it mine! Downloaded the PET to get smart about the systems, cleaned the seats and carpets, addressed the crappy soft-touch painted parts, etc and ad nauseum. Drive the car hard for a couple months and then determine what the suspension needs. Welcome and enjoy your P-car!
Old 07-12-2018, 02:01 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Manda Racing
I’m having my latest car partially wrapped— if yours isn’t you could consider looking into a partial wrap or coating to prevent all the white chips that can form quickly from roads.
Oh, good call. I’m looking into paint correction for my car. Seems to be a huge bang:buck item, restoring the car’s paint to like new or even better.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:29 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Center third rad kit and low temp thermostat. Full flow oil filter kit. Do everything you can to protect the engine. Track or no, keep it cool, and keep it lubed.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:54 PM
exthree
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Always wanted 1
When I first got mine I wanted to throw a bunch of stuff at it and make a bunch of changes. I’m thankful that I heeded the advice of many folks here and just drove it. I’m glad I listened. While I’ve only had mine a little over a year I’m glad I didn’t change much yet. For example, my car came with Sport Design wheels. The car was in dire need of new tires and I almost got rid of the wheels at that point. When I was looking for the car most had the usual Carerra wheels and that’s what I wanted. I’ve grown to enjoy the wheels and am glad I kept them.

A little over a year into ownership I’ve settled on a few areas I want to change and have had a lot of time to think about things.

My advice is the same; just drive it and enjoy it for a while before going hog wild.
Carrera wheels are the best looking on the 996! /X3
Old 07-13-2018, 12:07 AM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd think step one should be burn through a few tanks of fuel and get to know the car, from there decide what type of mods work for you, ie performance, audio, appearance, some stay stock others pop in an LS motor some they say add spatulas for improved aerodynamics.
Since your asking though, poly swaybar bushings are cheep and easy, and you may want to consider looking at the trans mount mine was separated by 60k

BTW nice wheel colour combo
Old 07-13-2018, 04:16 AM
Silk
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Don’t track it. The engine has too many weak points to take these risks: overheating, oil starvation (even on street tires, yes even with a motorsport oil pan) IMS seals if degraded will make the bearing run too hot, ...

Go cruise, drive fast, enjoy ... but do it on the road

if you want to upgrade more or less in this order:
- low temp thermostat
- spin on oil filter adapter
- stainless steel braided brake lines
- Motul RBF 660 or Castrol SRF brake fluid
- look at motor mount and transmission mount (upgrades)
- upgrade your suspension, coil over, drop the car 3/4 of an inch
- poly bushings, sway bar/strut brace (Will make your cab a bit stiffer)
- the above two with a custom alignment incl. corner weighing.

The last 3 ones are the most expensive ones, but if done well will make your car drive as a dream.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:12 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbren1979
Thought about the whole porsche club thing.....im a little shy about meeting new people....would love to track the car but wouldnt know the first thing about how to do it, where and all that.

all fluids will be changed by me in the next few weeks.
Nobody there bites.... they're all pretty friendly. I'm a PCA instructor and am local - so if you have questions about tracking - I can probably help. There are some AWESOME indy shops local too. Florida Citrus goes to Roebling Road Raceway in October - great first track to learn on. Suncoast is headed to Sebring in September. There is also Oktoberfast at Daytona - it's an advanced DE, Club Race, and autocross on the road course and its a ton of fun.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:37 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Silk
Don’t track it. The engine has too many weak points to take these risks: overheating, oil starvation (even on street tires, yes even with a motorsport oil pan) IMS seals if degraded will make the bearing run too hot, ...

Go cruise, drive fast, enjoy ... but do it on the road

if you want to upgrade more or less in this order:
- low temp thermostat
- spin on oil filter adapter
- stainless steel braided brake lines
- Motul RBF 660 or Castrol SRF brake fluid
- look at motor mount and transmission mount (upgrades)
- upgrade your suspension, coil over, drop the car 3/4 of an inch
- poly bushings, sway bar/strut brace (Will make your cab a bit stiffer)
- the above two with a custom alignment incl. corner weighing.

The last 3 ones are the most expensive ones, but if done well will make your car drive as a dream.
The jury is still out on the strut brace (save your money) and if there are any noticeable benefits of adding one. Lowering and stiffening might ruin the feel of you car as a daily driver...Again as other have said just" drive it+ for the first year after you take care of the preventative items.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:46 PM
Silk
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Lowering and stiffening might ruin the feel of you car as a daily driver...

Go for a proper good coil over in combination with a bit lower ride, i.e 3/4 of an inch, and it will be better and even more comfortable then stock. Will cost you more $$$ then the more standard or oem equivalents, but it is the upgrade with the most effect on how the car feels and drive.

However we have no pot holes over here so standaards might be different indeed.

Why no preventative measures? Thermostat and water pump are not the biggest costs. I agree IMS can be assessed the next clutch replacement. Third radiator is not necessary.

Quick Reply: Got my dream car, now what to do to it