Sponsored by:

how about goodyears?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 07:38 PM
rabkay
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how about goodyears?

anybody tried goodyear eagle F1 GS-D3 - according to tireerack they seem to be very competitive..larry
Old 01-10-2004, 08:41 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Too many grooves and not enough rubber for a good footprint.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:17 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Viken, sorry mate but I beg to differ. These are really cool tyres and they deserve a better comment that that.....especially from someone so reverend as you, Oh mighty Forum lookerafterer

For the 1st time in almost 4 years, despite several new sets of tyres, wheel balances, tracking, bearing checks, camber adjustments, laser alignments, etc.....my 996 finally does not get the shakes at 80mph. It is also sticks to the road like glue and especially in the wet. It drives and feels like a new car. After 4 years, it finally feels and drives like a porker should.....Reason......I fitted the GS-D3's to my rear axle just before xmas.

I defy anyone to try these tyres and tell me they are not fecking brilliant!
Old 01-12-2004, 06:55 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If they had Eagle F1's in 225/40-18 F and 285/30-18 R sizes I'd give them a try, However these sizes are not available, so I went with Michelin Pilot Sports
Old 01-12-2004, 07:30 PM
Radar
Instructor

Originally posted by Scouser
Viken, sorry mate but I beg to differ.
You can differ all you want, but I've found his opinions and experiences spot on. Furthermore, the D3's are original equipment on my E55 and they suck big time. I wonder why no sports car manufacturer installs these tires as OE. Now, if you want to talk about the F1 Supercar or F1 Fiorano, those in a totally different league.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:42 AM
chitownbob
Racer

Just because they suck on a E55 doesn't mean they will suck on a 911. Completely different dynamics on these cars. Different tires do better on different cars. Anyway, I don't imagine any summer tires doing that well in Antarctica.

Bobby
Old 01-13-2004, 07:26 AM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Radar
You can differ all you want, but I've found his opinions and experiences spot on.
Ansolutely. In fact I refer to Viken as "reverend" I.e., godly like. Hope you see my comment as a Pun Viken not a flame.

Originally posted by Radar

Furthermore, the D3's are original equipment on my E55 and they suck big time. I wonder why no sports car manufacturer installs these tires as OE. Now, if you want to talk about the F1 Supercar or F1 Fiorano, those in a totally different league.
Hmmm...... You say the E55 has the D3's from OE. But then go on to say "why no sports car manufacturer installs these tires as OE". Is the Mercedes E55 not a sports car? Yea I know it doesn't look like one but the specs take it well into sports car class surely.

Anyway.....all I wanted to say was that these Eagle F1s are so far a tonic for my car. Time will tell how well they wear or fare. But so far I am extremely happy with them.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:46 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally posted by Scouser
Hmmm...... You say the E55 has the D3's from OE. But then go on to say "why no sports car manufacturer installs these tires as OE". Is the Mercedes E55 not a sports car? Yea I know it doesn't look like one but the specs take it well into sports car class surely.
Specs alone do not a sports car make.... Maybe a fast lead sled, but the E55 is no sports car by any stretch.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:49 AM
Dirt Track Racer
User

News Flash:

The E55 is not a sports car. Nor is the RS6, M5 (or M3 for that matter), S6, CL55, ML55 or any other gussied up sedan, wagon, SUV or GT car.

Sports cars: 911, Vette, Viper, Enzo, CGT, Ford GT, and some others.

DTR
Old 08-31-2005, 10:20 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

This is a very old thread, but I'm bumping up to ask for any additional experiences. I put a set of these on Saturday, went with 235 40 and 275 35 18s. I went with those particular sizes because I wanted to fill the wheel wells. I just really drove it for the first time today at highway speeds. It feels a bit squirelly, darting around with the grooves in the road, but something else felt wrong. After they cooled down I had 44lbs in left front, the otherthree 40. I dropped to 36 and 38, cold. It helped some, but it still doesn't feel as solid as the Conti IIs that came off.

I knew the recommendation of all the people who know more than me is to stick with N series tires, but I got these for about 600 installed, and felt I couldnt pass up the deal. Are the tires more susceptible to changes in the road surface, did I make a mistake putting 235s in the front, or could the fact that the left front was balanced with incorrect pressure be an issue? No bouncing, bumping, or anything like that, just feels like I have to hold it in place with more purpose than ever before. I had S03s before the conti's, and while they may have been better tires overall, I didn't notice any appreciable difference with freeway driving. Any insight appreciated.

Old 09-01-2005, 09:50 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by smshirk
This is a very old thread, but I'm bumping up to ask for any additional experiences.
I just put the GS D3s on my car: 225/40 & 265/35.

I don't track the car .... use it as a daily driver and for travel with my wife. Road noise & ride were important to me, and these tires are among the quietest I've heard.

Can't comment too much on the handling under duress .... as they are still too new to have lost the new tire slickness. They are very nice on the highways around Atlanta.

Where in the world did you get a set for $600 !!!!!
Old 09-02-2005, 02:26 AM
lexpilot
Racer

FWIW,
Consumer Reports November 2003 rated GS-D3 the top rated "super high performance" tire against 12 other "usual suspects". Testing was weighted to handling, braking, wet and dry.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:36 AM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by lexpilot
FWIW,
Consumer Reports November 2003 rated GS-D3 the top rated "super high performance" tire against 12 other "usual suspects". Testing was weighted to handling, braking, wet and dry.
That was one of the primary factors in my consideration of these tires. I have always trusted CR to be relatively unbiased .... after all, the current issue picks the Boxster as the top rated mid-priced sports roadster.

So far, I have zero complaints with these tires .... although, admittedly, I do not track, nor typically drive in the agressive manner of some .... and therefore may not have such demanding handling requirements. I may be in the minority among Porsche drivers (18 years at it, now) but I choose the cars, not for "on the edge" handling capabilitie .... but rather for the sheer fun of every day driving, enjoyment of the engineering, and (I admit it) the panache that goes along with a driving a car with such soul .... as compared to a more technically advanced, but soul-less, sterile alternative.

By the way, CR was correct regarding the lower road noise with the Eagles.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:30 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have about 5k miles on my F1 GS-D3’s. The car is 01 C2 used as a daily driver, with the factory recommended tire sizes. I have not taken it on the track with these tires (yet); when driving conditions permit I drive somewhat aggressively. Here are my impressions and thoughts:

In general I think the GS-D3 are a good daily driver tire. They have exceptional wet traction (which was important to me) and very good dry grip for normal daily driving conditions. I have not experienced any “squirrelly” handing behavior at any speed. The tires have never exhibited any more or less tendency to tramline or follow the groves in the road than any other wide, low profile tire I have used on my various Porsches. The tire wear appears to be good at this point with better wear than the ContiSports that I had prior to this. However, I think the tires have a somewhat harsher ride than the ContiSports (but not as harsh as Pirelli P-zero asymmetrico’s). In general the tires are relatively quite, however, on certain concrete roads surfaces (not all) they make a very noticeable and somewhat loud humming/droning sound. I am curious whether this humming/droning will get louder and more noticeable on all surfaces as the tires wear more because of the highly directional tread pattern. For daily driver non track use I think these tires are very safe bet if for no other reason than their exceptional wet traction and hydroplaning resistance (if that is important).

Quick Reply: how about goodyears?