Sponsored by:

What do you feed your 996?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 06:06 AM
Peter B
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rrys,
thank you for taking the trouble with your detailed replies on the forum. I've been using the Shell Optimax every second or third fill. The car seems to pull more cleanly but the overall consumption is unchanged at about 23 miles/imperial gallon.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:43 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great post ryss. Much appreciated. I use Shell Otptimax gere in the UK 98 RON. I notice the car "feels better" when driving.......don't know if that's a psychological thing though.

Peter B......aright wack
Old 01-12-2004, 02:47 PM
TitanL9
Pro

rrys, Thanks for the information and link. I've always wonders about such things. Just can't seem to find the time to research all the wonders I seek answers for.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:25 AM
rrys
Advanced

A few years back I worked on the development of a software package called BOSS (Blend Optimization and Supervisory System). Thats where I picked up a lot of this info.

When they make gasoline it is usually made batchwise in a large (maybe 100,000 barrel) tank. 6 to 12 Blend components like MTBE, various naphthas, Alkylate, Reformate, Butane, various additives... are mixed in a pipe and the product gasoline tank is filled over a period of 8-20 hours or so. The gasoline in the pipe is continuously analyzed by dozens of analyzers as it fills the tank. The BOSS software adjusts the formulation while filling based on the analyzers and the grade being made. The tank is then mixed for a day and sampled to make sure all the specs are met (i.e. certified for shipment). Octane is only one of maybe 25 specifications that need to be met. In some cases the cheapest way to make a particular batch of gasoline is to overproduce the RON or MON, but as refineries shift crude oils and other operating parameters it is hard to tell which gas station might have some free Octane. FYI Tosco in Martinez (but not Benecia), CA uses the BOSS software.

This software is running in dozens of refineries around the world and it helps the refineries to meet all the complicated rules for making reformulated gas in an economical manner. Rules by CARB (California Air Resource Board) in CA, EPA regs in the US, and similar rules in Europe.

Reformulation started with the Clean Air Amendment in 1990. The EPA had measured the air pollution in every city in the US and the Clean Air Act went after one of the easiest ways to clean up the dirty air. Make the gasoline burn cleaner by reformulation. I.e. politically easier than taxing fuel or banning cars or going after other sources of pollution. It has worked to improve air quality somewhat, and more reformulation changes are being phased in over the next few years but there still is a lot of air that is considered unhealthy and reformulation alone doesn't fix the air pollution problem as there are other sources than cars. One item they are going after now is the vapors and spills during fueling. You may see some new charcoal cannisters to collect the vapors on the car side. Apparently the refiners wanted to put the collection device on the vehicle and the Auto manufactures wanted to put it in the Gas Station. The refiners won that one.

Quick Reply: What do you feed your 996?