996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How do PPI logistics work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 01:16 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 529 Posts

"From Carfax: Find out what "wheel(s) repaired" on 7-18-11 means, specifically."

Not sure but its likely it was the rears as the fronts were just replaced. Rears had some miles on them, so likely it was them in '11

Last edited by Prairiedawg; 07-04-2018 at 01:18 PM. Reason: content
Old 07-04-2018, 01:53 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by prairiedawg
"From Carfax: Find out what "wheel(s) repaired" on 7-18-11 means, specifically."

Not sure but its likely it was the rears as the fronts were just replaced. Rears had some miles on them, so likely it was them in '11
Understand, however was the "wheel repair" some touch up paint or did a crack have to welded or wheel straightened. Should be in the dealer repair file as far as specifics.

There are plenty of nice example out there 996 and 997. Don't necessarily fall in love with this one. If you want a 997 look around. You live in the Chicagoland! I've lived in the burbs three different times in my life. Lots of P-cars around. It's not like around here!
Old 07-04-2018, 01:56 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
First thing I see is the dealer serviced this car. Ask to see the service records. Review work done. Post significant work here. Important is how often the oil and filter was changed. Porsche has ridiculous recommendations...10-15k!! The oil should have been changed at least once per year, minimum, regardless of mileage. Gets any fuel/water condensation out of engine to prevent internal bad things from happening.

On second though maybe I'll just run over and buy this thing

JUST KIDDING!!

In addition, Price is high
This is true about oil changes, but doubtfull it was done since it is not dealer protocol. 1st step of any PPi is remove oil filter & inspect. If metal etc is found PPI is over & minimum charge should apply.
Old 07-04-2018, 04:44 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

Low mile 911's are interesting. Conventional car wisdom says low miles means it's practically a new car that somebody else ate the depreciation on, and you get to feel like the first owner even though you're not. Most buyers of other car brands like low miles because that means more miles are left for you to enjoy. 911 wisdom, especially 996 wisdom, says high mileage means that if something could have happened it "would have by now." Maintenance is a constant with these cars, and it will "always be something." That doesn't mean it will always be something major, but I can pretty much promise you you're going to have little things needing done every year. Cars that sit around have big question marks hanging over them because there are so many questions that likely can't be answered. Generally a car that sits has rubber bits that dry up and crack because they aren't being fed any sort of lubricant on a regular basis. Plastic bits can begin to crack and fail due to age, regardless of use. So just don't come at this with the mentality that low miles automatically means low maintenance.

Regardless of the low miles, you're going to have to do a lot of the same preventative maintenance that any 996 would need. My opinion is that an IMSB retrofit is an absolute must on this car. The 2002 (Mk.2) 996 has the single-row IMS bearing that fails faster than the earlier dual-row design. At 100,000 miles we could tell you - if it was gonna go, it would have gone, like I said above. At 11k miles, who knows, man. There's one way to find out, and you're not gonna like it. So I'd just address it.

Perhaps try to use some of this "deferred maintenance" argument in bargaining for a lower price. But also be ready to pay to play, as we like to say in the Porsche world.

Best of luck!
Old 07-04-2018, 05:16 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr_Strangelove
Low mile 911's are interesting. Conventional car wisdom says low miles means it's practically a new car that somebody else ate the depreciation on, and you get to feel like the first owner even though you're not. Most buyers of other car brands like low miles because that means more miles are left for you to enjoy. 911 wisdom, especially 996 wisdom, says high mileage means that if something could have happened it "would have by now." Maintenance is a constant with these cars, and it will "always be something." That doesn't mean it will always be something major, but I can pretty much promise you you're going to have little things needing done every year. Cars that sit around have big question marks hanging over them because there are so many questions that likely can't be answered. Generally a car that sits has rubber bits that dry up and crack because they aren't being fed any sort of lubricant on a regular basis. Plastic bits can begin to crack and fail due to age, regardless of use. So just don't come at this with the mentality that low miles automatically means low maintenance.

Regardless of the low miles, you're going to have to do a lot of the same preventative maintenance that any 996 would need. My opinion is that an IMSB retrofit is an absolute must on this car. The 2002 (Mk.2) 996 has the single-row IMS bearing that fails faster than the earlier dual-row design. At 100,000 miles we could tell you - if it was gonna go, it would have gone, like I said above. At 11k miles, who knows, man. There's one way to find out, and you're not gonna like it. So I'd just address it.

Perhaps try to use some of this "deferred maintenance" argument in bargaining for a lower price. But also be ready to pay to play, as we like to say in the Porsche world.

Best of luck!
I cant disagree with anything said here. The salesman I was dealing with was a former mechanic (Porsche) before he was selling cars. This is a Porsche dealer. He readily admitted that the IMSB is a liability. I told him if I bought the car it had to be fixed regardless of the miles and he didn't disagree with the thought process. He also recommended replacing the RMS with a better seal at the same time. I'm planning on using this as part of my negotiation strategy. I'm not sure what the IMSB fix cost is out the door but its 1700 bucks just in parts so figure from there. Still haven't had anyone say what a good price for the car is, just the asking price is too high. any suggestions/
Old 07-04-2018, 05:17 PM
inspectX
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@prairiedawg: Agree that the price is a bit steep on this one. If it were a 4S, maybe a different story.

We also have a Porsche tech in the Chicago area who could travel out to the car for a full PPI. If we can help, feel free to let us know. Thanks!
Old 07-04-2018, 05:33 PM
85eurocarrera
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 185 Posts

I'll take a stab at it.
if it was turn key, 25K.
Negotiate rms,ims,aos,water pump from there.

As a porsche dealership, they know the costs for all that, and it's $$$$. Offer 25 and they do the above.🤑

Last edited by 85eurocarrera; 07-04-2018 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:35 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 85eurocarrera
I'll take a stab at it.
if it was turn key, 25K.
Negotiate rms,ims,aos,water pump from there.

As a porsche dealership, they know the costs for all that, and it's $$$$. Offer 25 and they do the above.🤑
Sounds like a deal, I'll take it. I think I'll have a hard time convincing the dealer to replace perfectly fine water pump, AOS, etc. You have valid points but they'll just wait for someone else to bit the car I would think. The IMS, RMS is a different matter altogether. I don't know if they would install an aftermarket IMS Solution kit. I think that's the only direction I would go is direct oil feed. They surely wouldn't pay for aftermarket parts, maybe labor?

Quick Reply: How do PPI logistics work?