Sponsored by:

How do PPI logistics work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 08:20 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 529 Posts
Default How do PPI logistics work?

I'm looking to get my feet wet in the Porsche ownership rabbit hole. I found a '02 Cab, Tiptronic with 11K for a reasonable price at a dealer and am very interested as it will probably sell quickly. Obviously I am responsible for paying for the PPI, but how does it get to the inspecting garage? Driven, towed? At my expense? How deep does a PPI have to go in a 16 year old car with under 12K? Any concerns with very low miles versus high miles. Just looking for answers as the different expenses can quickly add up. Thanks in advance for any information or advice anyone can give.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:59 AM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

You ask many "loaded" questions!

Hopefully, the car should be capable of being driven to the PPI place. Talk to the dealer that a PPI at a place of your choice is a requirement for your possible purchase and work out details with them. Such a place should be a Porsche focused repair place with experience with issues on the 996 series. The dealer should understand, if not walk away. PPI should go as deep as with any other car. While mileage is an issue so is lack thereof. Time will degrade some systems regardless of use. There will be others who have more experience/opinions on super low miles than I do. They have have some valid points...listen to them.

If you reveal your location it is possible someone here might "know a guy" local to the car who could do the job of a proper PPI.

BTW: Welcome! there is much to be learned from many here. Good luck on your search/purchase.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:00 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

First put down a refundable deposit so dealer won’t sell it out from under you and is more likely to accommodate 3rd party ppi. I’m assuming you are not local to the car? I’m willing to bet a member here lives close to the car and would probably be willing to drive it to an independent shop for ppi.

Last edited by Atrox; 07-04-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:52 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, I don't mean to ask loaded questions and i get they are very open ended but are also intended to be so as to learn the most I can. I am local to the car and drove it yesterday, it was very nice and looked every bit as new as a 16 year 11K mile car would. I'm trying to approach this unemotionally but I like it and based on the condition and miles it probably won't last. This Is why I'm trying to understand the logistics of the PPI. Should the dealer let me drive off with it and take it to in independent? Sorry for the dumb questions but I usually buy Toyota's and Honda's where these types of precautions aren't normally necessary, a new engine isn't tens of thousands. This is a whole new world to me. I come from a place where you and a buddy go to a dealer or private party and say looks good I'll take it, or no thanks I'll pass.
I'm also open for PPI recommendations in the Chicago area. I've read some of the threads on here and most are from years ago and have mixed reviews. I'm open to all thoughts and opinions
Old 07-04-2018, 11:17 AM
85eurocarrera
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 185 Posts

Negotiate on a price, pending ppi. Put refundable deposit, if the accept. Find 996 independent shop and personally schedule appointment and payment plan. You, or dealership delivers car to shop. Shop talks to you about results and cost for repairs. Use these numbers for renogotiatios. Buy car.😊
Old 07-04-2018, 11:36 AM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Originally Posted by prairiedawg
Thanks guys, I don't mean to ask loaded questions and i get they are very open ended but are also intended to be so as to learn the most I can. I am local to the car and drove it yesterday, it was very nice and looked every bit as new as a 16 year 11K mile car would. I'm trying to approach this unemotionally but I like it and based on the condition and miles it probably won't last. This Is why I'm trying to understand the logistics of the PPI. Should the dealer let me drive off with it and take it to in independent? Sorry for the dumb questions but I usually buy Toyota's and Honda's where these types of precautions aren't normally necessary, a new engine isn't tens of thousands. This is a whole new world to me. I come from a place where you and a buddy go to a dealer or private party and say looks good I'll take it, or no thanks I'll pass.
I'm also open for PPI recommendations in the Chicago area. I've read some of the threads on here and most are from years ago and have mixed reviews. I'm open to all thoughts and opinions
Your original questions were fine. It's just that low mileage cars are controversial. Work it out with the dealer on transportation to PPI. There are a lot of Chicago area guys here. My guess is they will chime in for suggestions of a place. Yeah, a rebuilt engine can go from $10k to way over $20k depending on what is done and who does it. So more than Honda/Toyota engines. I like what 85 says above, too.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:48 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Its listed on a Local Dealer website with Carfax etc. Does it make sense to post a link here to get opinions on the car?
Old 07-04-2018, 12:01 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Sure, that has been done before. Give folks and opportunity to give you feedback on what they see and think. Go for it.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:05 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Here goes, https://www.4porsche.com/vehicle-det...il-id-24761209
Old 07-04-2018, 12:12 PM
RickMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks pretty nice - just not sure about that price tag
Old 07-04-2018, 12:14 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

It's beautiful, but overpriced and won't sell quickly...Take your time and do it right!
Old 07-04-2018, 12:17 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

First thing I see is the dealer serviced this car. Ask to see the service records. Review work done. Post significant work here. Important is how often the oil and filter was changed. Porsche has ridiculous recommendations...10-15k!! The oil should have been changed at least once per year, minimum, regardless of mileage. Gets any fuel/water condensation out of engine to prevent internal bad things from happening.

On second though maybe I'll just run over and buy this thing

JUST KIDDING!!

In addition, Price is high
Old 07-04-2018, 12:23 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

From Carfax: Find out what "wheel(s) repaired" on 7-18-11 means, specifically.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:47 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

And a solid negotiated price is $?? (Can I ask that?) If everything checks out, 1 owner, low mileage . I have never bought a Porsche before and definitely don't want to overpay. This is a Porsche dealer so I don't expect them to budge as much as if this were the odd duck at a Ford dealer or something. Also I really had my heart set on a 997 cab but the locality and condition are being taken in consideration. Not to mention the whole IMS thing the hangs in the background on any 996.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:52 PM
85eurocarrera
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 185 Posts

I like that it one owner and maintenance done at dealership it's being sold at. STILL need independent ppi, but from here it looks very nice. Hasn't passed through multiple owners, who may or may not afford maintenance on these cars.

They should have room to negotiate, trade in was probably around 20k?

Quick Reply: How do PPI logistics work?