Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

2007 997 C2 motor into my 2002 996 C4 (IMS Failure)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 10:16 AM
sub-zero
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by lowpue
Still needs some tuning but I will do that next winter when the season is over....Its not quite at beating a 997.1 GT3 which is still my goal....need to eak out another 10HP I think to get there.
what size injectors you running ?
Old 06-23-2018, 12:07 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 261 Posts

997S stock injectors I believe....started with 996 injectors but power was lower if I recall....but Charles Dundon would know for sure.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:13 PM
george_west
Instructor

Received 133 Likes on 33 Posts

OP, keep us posted on your swap progress. I'm interested to see what your discover with compatibility of the two cars. I'm sure you'll know more than most of us could tell you once you have the motors out and side by side.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:15 PM
colmfmurphy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by george_west
OP, keep us posted on your swap progress. I'm interested to see what your discover with compatibility of the two cars. I'm sure you'll know more than most of us could tell you once you have the motors out and side by side.
I will keep you updated. We're quite busy with summer stuff at the moment and I bought a substitute convertible (Fiat 124 Abarth) so I'm not rushing into it. I've collected some of the new parts I going to put in and waiting on some more.

I'm taking photos too.

Hopefully it's all gonna work out...
Old 03-19-2019, 06:49 PM
colmfmurphy
Instructor

Update on the progress...

First thing I learned was I'm never going to do this again...

I do have some photos and scraped knuckles and a whole lot of things not to do if there ever is a next time. Good thing is, the 997 motor fired up straightaway when I got it all back together.

997.1 motor fits perfectly, runs well with minor issues. Some of the emmission hoses don't match but with some locally sourced adapters, they all seem to be good.
Biggest issue I have right now is the SAI is throwing a CEL on cold starts.
The SAI on the 997.1 is mounted under the intake manifold; on the 996.2, its a separate pump on the left rear corner of the engine compartment. I'm trying to get a wiring diagram for the two electrical connectors on the 997 motor so I can "hot wire" the 996 SAI connector in and hopefully that will take care of everything. I do remember seeing a post with that pin out diagram somewhere over the last year but I cannot find it at the moment.

So, anyone got a wiring diagram for those plugs?
Old 03-19-2019, 11:34 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by colmfmurphy
Update on the progress...

First thing I learned was I'm never going to do this again...

I do have some photos and scraped knuckles and a whole lot of things not to do if there ever is a next time. Good thing is, the 997 motor fired up straightaway when I got it all back together.

997.1 motor fits perfectly, runs well with minor issues. Some of the emmission hoses don't match but with some locally sourced adapters, they all seem to be good.
Biggest issue I have right now is the SAI is throwing a CEL on cold starts.
The SAI on the 997.1 is mounted under the intake manifold; on the 996.2, its a separate pump on the left rear corner of the engine compartment. I'm trying to get a wiring diagram for the two electrical connectors on the 997 motor so I can "hot wire" the 996 SAI connector in and hopefully that will take care of everything. I do remember seeing a post with that pin out diagram somewhere over the last year but I cannot find it at the moment.

So, anyone got a wiring diagram for those plugs?
I am sure they had to do this with my car....Call Charles Dundon. :-)

BTW...super impressive that you got it done. Congrats!

Old 03-20-2019, 09:22 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts

The Bentley manual has the pinouts in the wiring diagrams at the back. Alldata (alldatadiy.com - subscription based online manuals) has them as well. You'd likely need both the donor motor year and the recipient motor year manuals to suss this out. I've done motor transplant wiring work on prior cars and it is a tedious and sometimes time consuming process, but very reasonable to do if you remain patient, logical and methodical.

I'd love to see a detailed 997 motor to 996.2 chassis step by step article. This could be a good option for the DIY folks out here when we end up with rollers. It's a shame if every person that does it has to reinvent the wheel figuring the details out.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:26 PM
colmfmurphy
Instructor

I'll pm him.

Thanks.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:29 PM
colmfmurphy
Instructor

Yeah, not a fan of spending $150 on two manuals just to find one pin on one connector. Someone on one of the forums will have the info I'm sure.

That $300 will do me much better going towards replacing the head unit...
Old 03-20-2019, 04:52 PM
colmfmurphy
Instructor

"I'd love to see a detailed 997 motor to 996.2 chassis step by step article."

Actually, I've not found much difference between the two motors.
In my case, my car is a C4, the donor was a C2 so I had to split the transmission. Both were tiptronic Mercedes type. Most of the info on the forums revolved around manual trannies so there is quite a bit of difference in how they are mated to the engine. Once I got that info, the rest was fairly straightforward.

I replaced the RMS, plugs/wires belt, etc but other than that, there isn't much to do. I did buy a water pump but I returned it when the one on the 997 looked cleaner than the new one!!
Dealing with all of the extensive oil. gas and water plumbing around the car was the slowest painful part, both taking it out and putting it back.

In hindsight, I should have thought more about the SAI pump wiring since I had removed it from the 996 since the 997 didn't have one... or so I thought. It would have been much much easier to trace the wiring on the 997 SAI (which is mounted under the intake on the block) with the engine out of the car and simply hot wire the 996 wiring to the correct pin on the 997 motor. As I say, hindsight... there's no friggin way I'm pulling the motor just to trace that wiring now though so I'm hoping some kind hearted soul will know where that info is and pass it on...

As for collecting info, perhaps the mods on the forum could add a folder where all of the related messages could be added so at least of the info is in one place? "997 into 996" or something similar.

It's been a mostly fun trip and I certainly enjoyed some of the process along the way but my daughter and I did have some very frustrating moments that make us both sure that we don't have any intention of doing this again. In retrospect, I could have sold mine and picked up a newer (IMS repaired) one for less than we've spent so far. That being said, I'm looking forward to getting this baby back on the road. I already have some road trips that my much better half and I are looking forward to over the next 6 months.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:53 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts

I can run down the wiring on the 996.2 side for you (I have both the Bentley manual and access to Alldata for the 2002), but I don’t have a 997 manual/wiring diagram, so I can’t help on that end. Maybe someone in the 997 forum could help us? Private message me if I can help. Maybe we could work together and donate our findings back to Rennlist for future motor swappers?...
Old 03-21-2019, 12:17 AM
sub-zero
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 89 Posts

my old car 2001 with 3.6 from from 2005 with boltons , i put proefi "plug and pay" harness , i miss this car so much but it gave me hell , car was pulling very hard but my tuner never had time

and the proefi is not easy to tune the sad part i got pissed off and parted out the car , but what i've learned is that its much cheaper to give someone to build custom wire harness and put something like haltch and done

, the 3,6 and 3.8 have great power plant but if you don't do the the variocam right stay away ,

Old 03-21-2019, 11:54 AM
colmfmurphy
Instructor

The 996.2 end is actually easy because the blower is located on the left side of the engine compartment and is fed from a local connector there. It's the 997 side I need. I'll post again over there and see if anyone turns it up.

Thanks for the offer!

Quick Reply: 2007 997 C2 motor into my 2002 996 C4 (IMS Failure)