Jnelso
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Numeric Shift Cables installed

Rod end

Correct rod ends on cable

8mm pin at trans lever

Latter model ball and socket attachment
Ordered the numeric shift cables awhile ago, finally got around to disasembly for installtion. When I got to the trans end I noted that the cables from numeric had different attachements at the trans shift levers than on my 1999 996 with early production date of 3/98. The original cable ends at the trans consists of an 8mm pin rather than the ball and socket attachment that is prevalent on later models and the numeric cables were set up for the ball and socket attachment. Contacted Dan at Numeric Racing and he was able to get me the correct rod ends that enabled attachement of the cables to pins on the shift levels at the trans. Once I got the rod ends I completed the installtion with no problems. Took the car out for ride today and love more precise shift action. With the Numeric cables there is added noise from the trans and at first was a little paranoid hearing the whine from the trans but after a little while I got use to it. Attached are photos of the Numeric cables with ball and socket attachment along with photos of rod ends that worked on my early 996. It was great working with Dan from Numeric Racing, he was very helpful.
The following users liked this post:
RyanH. (01-15-2021)
Old 06-11-2018, 06:36 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Good work, did you install the numeric shifter console as well or just the cables?
Old 06-11-2018, 09:01 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

The noise was something I did not expect either when I installed mined. I don't mind it at all, but something that not a lot of people mention in their install threads. Reminds me of a toned down cup car whine!
Old 06-11-2018, 10:12 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by sweet victory
The noise was something I did not expect either when I installed mined. I don't mind it at all, but something that not a lot of people mention in their install threads. Reminds me of a toned down cup car whine!
I mentioned it in my install thread
Old 06-11-2018, 10:27 PM
dan_189
Race Car

I'm curious as to what makes the noise? Reduced insulation? Reverberation through the cables?
Old 06-11-2018, 11:52 PM
Jnelso
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 64 Posts

I know a lot of people like to upgrade the shifter assembly with Numeric or GT3, a while ago I rebuilt mine with Funtion First bearing kit. With the overhauled shifter and numeric cables I am very satisfied wit the results.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:19 AM
dan_189
Race Car

I've gone with a Numeric Racing shifter, haven't bought the cables.

Couldn't justify the cost or cutting up a perfectly good 997 shifter to install the FF bearing kit so I bought the Numeric, if I don't like it ill go 997 GT3
Old 06-12-2018, 09:28 AM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

I strongly dislike the noise from the cables.
I have the rubber hoses for sound dampening numeric offers, but have yet to install them .
I have a moderately loud exhaust, but the wind from the cables is extremely troublesome .
IMO, it really detracts from the Porsche experience. And I don't say that lightly, because I have several modifications, including a LWFW and stage II Sachs.
The gear changing is outstanding, but I have a lot of hope for these rubber hoses to reduce the noise.

Has anyone here used them?
Just need to get access to a lift to install them.
BTW, I have a almost new 997ssk listed here on RL for sale.

Quick Reply: Numeric Shift Cables installed