Sponsored by:

Strut Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 09:26 AM
Jaycote
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Strut Replacement

My suspension is a bit creaky and both of my two front struts are leaking. I've never replaced anything related to suspension in any car before. I've read up on replacing the struts and I see that you need a special machine to compress the spring, which is not something I have. I've also heard that if I purchase a strut, attached to the spring, that it's as simple as removing the entire unit (strut/spring together), and replacing it with a new unit.

In other words, can I remove the strut/spring easily, without any special tools, and replace with a new unit? What other things should be replaced while I'm in there? I'm not looking to spend too much money on this and this is not a track car.

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2018, 09:55 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

You can rent a spring compressor at almost any auto parts store...I'm pretty sure you'll need to have 1 or 2 on hand when you replace your springs/struts/shocks...
Old 06-08-2018, 10:47 AM
D6lc
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

You need 2 to spring compressers to get the springs off the struts, if you rent from an auto store you get 2 in the box. Other than that basic tools are needed
Old 06-08-2018, 11:13 AM
Jaycote
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

What's the reason for taking the springs off the struts? It looks like I can purchase a set of Koni's that have strut/spring combination as a single unit. So i'm wondering if I can remove the strut/spring combo as a single unit, and replace with the new combo unit, without needing to remove the spring. Does it not work that way?
Old 06-08-2018, 11:53 AM
D6lc
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I believe they will ship you a strut and a spring, not an assembly ready to go in your car. You need to disassemble you old strut for the top mount, thats a Porsche part.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:21 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

If it is a complete assembled unit, you can install without a spring compressor.
I’ve done it this way with other cars.
But don’t be surprised if you receive it unassembled and have to reuse some existing parts.
Creaking car also be from control arms.
I bought my 996 cheaply because the seller thought it needed a complete new suspension.
I only had to change 1 control arm($68 from RockAuto) to get rid of the creaking.

Now I’m about to swap out my struts and shock with Feal coilovers.
(I want adjustability...I just can't leave anything alone!)
They come as complete assembled units and don’t require a strut compressor.
They’re not a whole lot more than Koni adjustable shocks and H&R springs.
(Koni adjustable are not a complete assembled kit)
Old 06-08-2018, 03:27 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

fyi, there are also some bearings on the top hat that you should probably replace and not reuse even if they look fine.

Quick Reply: Strut Replacement