Sponsored by:

i gave up on my 996 project part out will come soon

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 11:35 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by sub-zero
i don't know you or the guy up , and don't know how many hours you ever put into building cars or wire standalone ecu

but that wire drove 7-8 porsche tech crazy noting is plug and play on a car that comes with 3.4 that has 3.6 , it took days just for the verocam and all the cluster to work

any why if you don't have anything good to say keep it to yourslef "seems legit " what are you trying to say ???

i spent tons of money and hours on it and gave up. i own my car and can do whatever i want with it .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4ZtIvRD5QE here the car running !
Sorry, but how can you expect folks not to raise an eyebrow when you state in your original post that the car runs good and it just needs the AC wire to be re-attached but are going to part it out. Yes, it’s your car and you can do whatever you want with it but I’d be wary of any car that was being parted out if everything worked except for an AC wire.

As for keeping my opinions to myself, do you know the definition of a “forum”?

fo·rum
ˈfôrəm/
noun
  1. 1.
    a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:14 AM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 159 Posts

not to mention the poor grammar, misspellings and run on sentences....
Old 06-07-2018, 12:22 AM
drola
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 114 Posts

Thought i would chime in here. Since this a “forum” and all.
the seller is a good friend and i’ve known the car since the day he got it. It went from a very plain looking 996.1 to what it is today which is a gt3 or aerokit tribute. The car had solid bones and body was straight. Plus it already had all the suspension goodies and the 3.6 which is solid.
The car runs like it has carbs. It likes to idle or run wide open. It does both very well. But that’s about it. The a/c wire is just one of many issues. As we both learned through this experience, the 3.4 to 3.6 swap is much more involved than just dropping one motor and putting in another. The harnesses and wiring is all different. Among other things. The car came with a Boxster S ECU and an MSD ignition box that had the variocam on at all times. The car would completely shut down at any given moment without any warning. Yes, it would crank back up but was quite annoying. And then whenever it wanted to, when you’d be driving down the road, it would start surging and lunging like crazy.
In an attempt to get the car to run the way it supposed to, he chose to buy the ProEFI as well as all the sensors and accessories needed to go with it. After all was hooked up, and after spending a few thousand dollars with a tuner to try to get it right, and ending up back at the beginning without any sign of getting anywhere near to an end, he has had enough. This car was supposed to be a fun daily driver but has turned out to be nothing but a huge headache. Although i’ll say it does run better now than it did before. Slightly. Plus there is another project that needs his attention more than this one. Which is why the decision was made to give up on this one.
trying to sell a first generation 996 that runs when it wants to will not end well. The offers will not come anywhere near the sum of its parts. So in order to recoup as much of the investment as possible, he has decided to part it out. Yes, it is a shame to take apart what seems like a perfectly good car. But in order to get out without losing his a$$, the car will be parted out.
That being said, whomever decides to buy parts from this car can rest assured that they will receive what is advertised as it’s advertised. In fact, the majority of the parts will be removed while the car sits in my shop. And if any of you are local and want to come and see the parts while still on the car, just pm him. Transparency is key.
I hope this sheds some light on all those raised eyebrows. I get that his initial posts were not very clear as to why and how he got to this point. But there you have it.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:29 AM
drola
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
not to mention the poor grammar, misspellings and run on sentences....
If English was your second language, which you did not learn until your 20’s, you might have some grammatical errors as well.
It’s best to stick to the purpose of the thread. Which is to sell some parts
Old 06-07-2018, 12:37 AM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by drola
the seller is a good friend and i’ve known the car since the day he got it. It went from a very plain looking 996.1 to what it is today which is a gt3 or aerokit tribute. The car had solid bones and body was straight. Plus it already had all the suspension goodies and the 3.6 which is solid.
The car runs like it has carbs. It likes to idle or run wide open. It does both very well. But that’s about it. The a/c wire is just one of many issues. As we both learned through this experience, the 3.4 to 3.6 swap is much more involved than just dropping one motor and putting in another. The harnesses and wiring is all different. Among other things. The car came with a Boxster S ECU and an MSD ignition box that had the variocam on at all times. The car would completely shut down at any given moment without any warning. Yes, it would crank back up but was quite annoying. And then whenever it wanted to, when you’d be driving down the road, it would start surging and lunging like crazy.
In an attempt to get the car to run the way it supposed to, he chose to buy the ProEFI as well as all the sensors and accessories needed to go with it. After all was hooked up, and after spending a few thousand dollars with a tuner to try to get it right, and ending up back at the beginning without any sign of getting anywhere near to an end, he has had enough. This car was supposed to be a fun daily driver but has turned out to be nothing but a huge headache. Although i’ll say it does run better now than it did before. Slightly. Plus there is another project that needs his attention more than this one. Which is why the decision was made to give up on this one.
trying to sell a first generation 996 that runs when it wants to will not end well. The offers will not come anywhere near the sum of its parts. So in order to recoup as much of the investment as possible, he has decided to part it out. Yes, it is a shame to take apart what seems like a perfectly good car. But in order to get out without losing his a$$, the car will be parted out.
That being said, whomever decides to buy parts from this car can rest assured that they will receive what is advertised as it’s advertised. In fact, the majority of the parts will be removed while the car sits in my shop. And if any of you are local and want to come and see the parts while still on the car, just pm him. Transparency is key.
I hope this sheds some light on all those raised eyebrows. I get that his initial posts were not very clear as to why and how he got to this point. But there you have it.

This makes much more sense, thanks for clarifying. None of this was in the original post. It's clearly not a good running car with an unhooked AC wire. It's a pandora's box and he's probably right to part it out.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:46 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

If English was your second language, which you did not learn until your 20’s, you might have some grammatical errors as well.
It’s best to stick to the purpose of the thread. Which is to sell some parts
Agreed!
Lets keep it civil and stay on topic.
I can't spell very well either, and I was born and raised here...
Old 06-07-2018, 09:18 AM
GTsilber
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What if I was willing to take a chance on the car as-is and throw another $5k at it, get a new ECU and update all wiring and harnesses - is that an option? Also, is title and car fax clean?
Old 06-07-2018, 01:37 PM
drola
Rennlist Member

title is clean. have not run carfax.
go ahead and pm the op your best and highest offer for the car as it sits
Old 06-07-2018, 04:37 PM
kobold911
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interrested in pss 10, pm sent.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:07 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you the R Motorsports or is R Motorsports the mechanic who went AWOL on you?

http://www.buzzfile.com/business/R.-...c-305-744-4215

Last edited by Kalashnikov; 06-07-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:37 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Hmmmm I knew there was more to it than a AC wire... it’s a shame because it’s a great looking car, and it sounds like it’s got huge potential. It’s too bad he didn’t source the ECU/DME and the wiring harness from a 3.6 car...
Old 06-07-2018, 06:53 PM
sub-zero
Banned

Received 144 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalashnikov
Are you the R Motorsports or is R Motorsports the mechanic who went AWOL on you?

http://www.buzzfile.com/business/R.-...c-305-744-4215
that’s me sir

Quick Reply: i gave up on my 996 project part out will come soon