Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

DIY Guide: 'Full-Flow' (non-bypass) oil filter housing mod for $1. No spin-on.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 09:16 PM
User 63031
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default DIY Guide: 'Full-Flow' (non-bypass) oil filter housing mod for $1. No spin-on.

Might post this on another forum in another life.

Last edited by User 63031; 06-09-2021 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:50 PM
rogazilla
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can the stock filter handle the starting pressure? I seem to have read that the bypass is on when engine first start. Would like to see how long it holds up for you. I am too chicken to test this myself...

Last edited by rogazilla; 06-04-2018 at 09:51 PM. Reason: remove quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:24 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by user 63031
The original Porsche filter housing can be easily modified into a full-flow non-bypass design with two simple washers
(and even be superior to the Spin-on / Napa Gold 1042 combo)

We're all familiar with the spin-on adapter, but I wanted to find a cheaper and better way. At 200$ the investment is considerable for a piece of metal, be it a well-engineered one. I think it has an additional pretty big shortcoming in the tiny oil filter that comes with it. The original Porsche filter media is well over twice the size of the Napa Gold 1042 filter due to its length. In terms of flow-capacity, the larger Porsche filter media is vastly superior. I do own the spin-on adapter and ran it with a Napa Gold 1042 for a few hundred kilometers, and upon inspection I found the filter media to have partially crushed under the pressure (some of the pleats were folded on one side).

Obviously the strain on the tiny filter is pretty big. I haven't been able to find larger non-bypass spin-on filters, so figured I might as well take the Porsche housing apart and see if I could block the valve easily. I'd much rather use the original size filter for flow-capacity considerations, AND have a non-bypass situation to protect my engine in case of debris. Luckily, it's very easy and very cheap to have both, which I will show with this short guide.

Disclaimer: if you already have a spin-on adapter, don't worry because it works fine and nobody reported any major problems with it AFAIK. This guide is aimed at people who haven't gotten the adapter yet and/or don't want to shell out 200$ for one.

First let's see this valve. It's located at the bottom of your filter housing, and pulls right off with a long pair of pliers.

The device is very simple, a metal valve that slides into the plastic housing, and is held shut with a spring. The valve has two legs crimped around the spring. If the oil pressure > spring resistance, the valve opens (top-right). To avoid this, the spring has to be disabled somehow. I simply added washers to fill the space until the spring was fully compressed and thus the valve was unable to open. Illustrated here by compressing the spring:

I ended up using two of these washers, I'll measure the exact dimensions, but they were about 2 mm thick each. The prongs of the valve slide through the center and and hold the spring down tightly. It can be tricky to push down the spring all the way and at the same time get the prongs through properly. Getting the prongs of the valve through the hole of the washer sure is a tight fit. I had to squeeze them together first, then use one of those 'reverse pliers' or whatever they're called to push the prongs outwards. Some bending maybe required, and some fiddling, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

For added peace of mind, I cut a screw to size and inserted that in the middle so that the prongs of the valve can never slide off of the washer:

Pop the valve back in the bottom of your filter housing, and you're done.

IMHO this setup is slightly superior to the spin-on adaptor since it allows the use of the larger filter media with much higher flow capacity. But mostly it's just much cheaper for the DIY minded folks here
Your DIY solution will work just fine, but disclaimer, the Napa 1042 filter I chose to use on the spin on filter adapter is from a 97-04 Chevrolet Corvette and sized plenty big for the M96 engine. The stock Porsche filter was sized for 24,000 mi drain intervals originally. The 1042 we recommend 5k intervals, which is still less then GM's recommended interval on that filter.
The following users liked this post:
velandia (03-14-2020)
Old 06-05-2018, 08:48 AM
User 63031
Instructor

Good info, thanks. Not entirely sure why my Napa 1042 partially collapsed then. Still, in extremely cold weather it's better to have a better-flowing filter to avoid oil starvation.

Last edited by User 63031; 12-10-2018 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Added cold weather consideration.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:08 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

fwiw, the Napa/wix 51522 has another inch or so of filter material and fits the LN adapter.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:19 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
fwiw, the Napa/wix 51522 has another inch or so of filter material and fits the LN adapter.
Burst pressure is 290 psi versus 320 psi, but that shouldn't be a deal breaker. I don't see any problem with the Napa 1522 / Wix 51522, other than it being an inch longer. Just be mindful of ground clearance. You want to make sure the filter isn't the lowest point on the car.

Another option is the Napa Platinum that has wire backed media, if there is a concern about the pleats folding over.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:17 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Another advantage of using spin-on oil filters is that you can easily add a Filter Mag to them. One more layer of protection.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:33 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,961 Posts

I have been disabling the factory by-pass for years on my (3) m96 engines, using two different methods. One by flipping the valve/spring to the opposite side, and the other by just filling the plastic cup/valve with Loctite E-120HP Epoxy. Have had no issues with filter crushing with either method using the Porsche/Mann/K&N filters with the plastic center cage.I also Epoxy neodymium magnets to the outside of the plastic canister for the extra filtering. I prefer the canister filter simply due to larger filter area and the ease of inspection. That said the L&N adaptor is a nice piece and well engineered.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:01 PM
User 63031
Instructor

Epoxy would've been a nice one too, might be looking into that next time when I have the time to let it set. I tried flipping the valve first, but found the seal on the sharp lip inside wasn't as good as the rounded recess (air could go past if I simply blew into it), so I opted against it.

Thanks for your info on long-term running experiences!
Old 06-06-2018, 04:46 PM
thechileman
Advanced

I know there is lots of good engineering around the "no bypass" filter mods. Having worked on jet engines in an earlier career, I have always felt (and been trained) that contaminated oil bypassing the filter is better than no oil. It causes damage, but not catastrophic failure like Oil starvation can cause. I know many here disagree, but I thought I will share a different perspective. I will keep my factory setup.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:50 PM
D6lc
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

When is the bypass triggered, when the filter is clogged to the point of restricting flow?,
Old 06-06-2018, 05:01 PM
thechileman
Advanced

That, and I believe it also triggers when there is high oil pressure.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:15 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thechileman
That, and I believe it also triggers when there is high oil pressure.
The way the bypass works is if there is an 8# spring in the bypass, you have to have a greater than 8# delta between both sides of the filter to open the bypass. Start-up is often the only time it opens unless the filter is completely plugged.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:44 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by thechileman
I know there is lots of good engineering around the "no bypass" filter mods. Having worked on jet engines in an earlier career, I have always felt (and been trained) that contaminated oil bypassing the filter is better than no oil. It causes damage, but not catastrophic failure like Oil starvation can cause. I know many here disagree, but I thought I will share a different perspective. I will keep my factory setup.
It only opens on a large delta P between the inside and outside of the filter; that only happens if the oil is too viscous to pass through the element easily, the filter is very clogged or a combination of the two.

For most of us who change oil at 5-7k intervals and don't start the car in very cold ambient temperatures its a non issue. I left mine alone and instead added external magnets which really work, last filter change they collected some fine ferrous spooge and my element was spotless at 5k miles
Old 06-06-2018, 09:54 PM
User 63031
Instructor

While I do agree contaminated oil is better than no oil, my particular engine had an IMSB failure which let some contaminants in there. I won't feel safe running the stock setup at this point.

Quick Reply: DIY Guide: 'Full-Flow' (non-bypass) oil filter housing mod for $1. No spin-on.