Sponsored by:

1999 c4 air oil separator

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 05:35 PM
Houkmauf
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 c4 air oil separator

End of my rope...doing a bunch of stuff (coolant tank, fuel filter, intake, water pump, thermostat, motor mounts, spark plugs, etc etc) but can't seem to access the last bolt on the manifold to pull it for "easy" access. The air oil separator it's self seems to be blocking the last one.
Anyone else find a simple solution? I was going to try and remove bolts and bellows etc etc from underneath and see if that gives me some wiggle room.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:01 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

All I can tell you is that that last manifold bolt is the hardest one to get out...and back in. I'm sure you have dropped the engine to the crossmember to get the room you need to work back there. Seems like I took a whole bunch of universal joints and extensions, worked my way over the top of the manifold in order to drop a socket down on the bolt. Make note of how you get it out, because you will need to put it back in the same way. It is all done by feel since you cannot see back there. I remember putting painters tape on my universal joints to make them stiffer and hold position better.

DO NOT drop that bolt. It took me three days, my phone and a video to find mine.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:31 PM
mlee2122
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It definitely requires patience, It took me 1-2 hours just to take that last bolt out. Mainly trying to figure out how i could get at it. It was over 10 months ago so my memory is a little hazy but i think i finally got the bolt loose with a crow foot wrench and short ratchet. Had to go little by little til i got it loose enough to move the intake manifold and get more room to get my hands in there with enough grip to take the bolt off by hand.

DBJoe996 is right I also dropped the engine to crossmember. I also dropped the bolt while attempting to install the intake the first time. Luckily i used a scope camera and located the bolt sitting on a valve. I was able to use a magnet stick to get the bolt out. For 2nd attempt at installation i used some tape to position the bolt on the manifold so that i could slide it in position to get the bolt hand tightened without dropping the stupid bolt again into the intake.

I was almost tempted to just hole saw a 4-6 inch hole on the rear deck so that i could access the AOS and that last intake bolt from the interior rear deck. I would have just made a access panel and cover up the hole after the install. But i knew the Porsche Gods would not have been happy with me and probably cause my IMSB to explode after i completed the AOS install.

Also you have to be gentle when removing the hose fittings on the AOS. They're easy to break....i learned this from when i was doing my old boxster. Having that engine lid on the boxster makes doing the AOS on the boxster a 1-2 hour job. But i did break one of the hose fittings cause it was brittle and ended up having to order a new hose.

Good luck......

Quick Reply: 1999 c4 air oil separator