996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Transmission Pinion Bearing Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 10:36 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,268 Likes on 1,706 Posts

If it were me the trans would already be out and on the floor. The suspence of not knowing would be killing me.

a quick question though, if u pull the trans cant u run the motor to see if the noise is there. If not i would say the ims is fine and its in the clutch or trans.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:06 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,320 Likes on 1,958 Posts

Any update on this?
Old 07-08-2018, 05:06 AM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

It could be the flywheel centre bearing , could have been damaged when putting the trans in as the drive shaft from the trans has a little centring shaft on the end which is a tight fit going back in and the trans has to be perfectly lined up and the clutch plate perfectly in place, just another option for you. If the noise wasn't there before and it is now, your mechanic should pull the trans off to check his work, I would do that as a courtesy !!
Old 07-16-2018, 04:42 PM
michaelo
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Here is where I am today. I could pay to have the shop take down the transmission and send it out for a re-build. However, if it comes back with an issue- neither the shop, nor the re-builder will take responsibility. They will simply blame each other for poor work and I will be stuck with the problem again and out of money. On the other hand if I take it to a shop that will do both (drop the transmission and do the rebuild) - the warranty they offer is just not good enough for what they are charging. It will probably fail the day after the warranty expires (doesn't it always) and I will be out of money again. Bottom line is either option is very expensive and not worth pursuing because the car does not have enough value. In addition, I have yet to see a transmission ever get repaired right.

Lesson learned: I should have just enjoyed the car as it was and left the IMS alone. "If it ain't broken, don't fix it" I won't be making that mistake again.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:55 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Why would you send the trans out for rebuild when you don't even know if its the trans that has the issue? Maybe I missed something and need to go back and read again?
Has the throwout bearing ever been replaced (noise change when clutch pressed)? Dropping the trans is not a difficult job and can be done by you, saving a bunch of money!
Old 07-18-2018, 05:25 PM
JSRossie
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^^ Agree, dropping the transmission isn't that hard. So why won't your indy shop should be willing to pull it for you and check? I agree with Noz... It's a lot easier for them to do it on a lift with lots of experience than it is for you to do it in a garage, seriously like an hour of real labor for an experienced tech. Once the transmission is off rechecking the throwout bearing and lever is easy. If you have to pull the pressure plate for some reason even that isn't hard and only costs a few bucks for new screws. When I did my IMS I did the pilot, arm etc... all the parts in the transmission bell along with the clutch/flywheel/RMS/Master Clutch/Slave Clutch, so everything was great when I was done. Also used LN bearing, thanks Charles. I regret not knowing about the free tool rental, or I wouldn't have bought through Pelican. I made my own tool.

For what it's worth, fixing these G60 transmissions can get expensive thanks to the parts (or so some of the Porsche specialty transmission guys have told me, like GBox). When mine started popping out of second gear I called around checking prices and options. Eventually, I decided to take a chance on a low mile transmission from a trusted source. It cost less than repairing mine. I plan to learn how to do the repair myself (hopefully) so I've kept the original transmission for a future project.

I feel for you, I did my IMS bearing because I was replacing the transmission anyway, would have sucked if I did the IMS then had to swap the transmission.

Quick Reply: 996 Transmission Pinion Bearing Issue