Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Engine Out Whatelse Needs to be Replaced

I’m having my engine rebuilt. While the engine is out I intend on:
  1. Replacing clutch - dealer recommended
  2. AOS
  3. Motor mounts
  4. Transmission mounts
What else do you recommend while the engine is out?

This is what the shop is doing:
MB Motorsports will install: new main bearings, new rod bearings, new piston rings, new updated IMS roller bearing, new water pump, new updated low temp thermostat, new timing chains, new sliders, new tensioners, new seals, new gaskets, both cylinder heads will be professionally fully restored(sanded, resurfaced, serviced valves, new seals, pressure check), new rear main seal, new filter, new cylinder head bolts. If cylinder heads are not repairable they will be replaced.

Block will be resleeved with steel sleeve technology which completely eliminates scoring, d chunk and cracking issues for good. Our resleeved cylinders come with 5 year warranty. If anything should happen to cylinders during those 5 years MB Motorsports will repair the problem at our cost.

2003 - 996 - 87k on the clock - I’ve owned less than six months - don’t think maintenance was done as needed by previous owner. I plan on keeping this car for years to come.

Thanks

911STYL
Old 05-15-2018, 11:02 AM
Device2
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I guess it really depends on how deep in the rabbit hole of the wallet you are willing to go and what needs to be done versus what you would like to have done. Sound like a lot of nice work is going to be done to your car BTW, it sounds like you will have a trouble free 996 motor for a good while. I too did the roller EPS bearing when I changed mine out. I actually also replaced all the plastic stuff inside the motor as a refresh and some stuff on the outside that I knew I would not have access to being that my car is a "00" so there was 17 year old stuff in there that would crack at the mere touch due to the cycle of heat and cool down. (little clips,connectors and plugs) On the serious side, since the motor is out you could change the coolant reservoir specially if its old and yellow. You are gonna have a nicely refresh motor in there so might as well make the engine compartment look good. I replaced my firewall too because the black "Porsche' original foam stuff on mine was aged and sagging, tore that stuff out and got a new firewall.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:03 AM
Montychristo128
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are doing clutch, might as well look at the DMF (Flywheel) and think about the water pump, if it fails can cause issues.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:05 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

It's a great time to refresh rubber hoses and vacuum lines. Also, the dual mass flywheel has to come out, so depending on the depth of your wallet, replace it (LUK is OE supplier), throwout bearing, etc. I'd also do all the little stuff in there - transmission input seal, for example.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:11 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Old 05-15-2018, 11:15 AM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You are already deep into the rabbit hole with the engine rebuild but with the engine out I would do everything I could that is significantly easier with the engine out. Since you are trusting MB Motorsports with such a big job, you should ask them to inform you of any parts they recommend replacing.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:34 AM
JohnCA58
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 209 Posts

I would definitely do ARP rods bolts.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:23 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

I have a MB rebuild engine, done in 2015. I can tell you for sure that it was not re-sleeved. The water-pump that was in it was not a 996 water pump. The IMS bearing was a roller bearing, but frankly I wouldn't trust it to last any longer than the stock bearing.

If I had the engine out I would also replace:
1. Spark plugs and coils
2. oil filler neck
Old 05-15-2018, 01:21 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Replace or have your injectors rebuilt/checked. FSI claim they are seeing lots of leaky injectors causing bore washing.

I might be completely wrong about this, but MB motorsports might be a vendor with a less than stellar reputation around here, do some searching on here and google to check them out before committing.

Have you priced up getting nikasil or wet ductile liners done instead of dry sleeves? the price difference might not be as much as you think.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:37 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 55 Posts

Fuel filter
Old 05-19-2018, 07:36 PM
Horsepwr
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 911STYL
I’m having my engine rebuilt. While the engine is out I intend on:
  1. Replacing clutch - dealer recommended
  2. AOS
  3. Motor mounts
  4. Transmission mounts
What else do you recommend while the engine is out?

This is what the shop is doing:
MB Motorsports will install: new main bearings, new rod bearings, new piston rings, new updated IMS roller bearing, new water pump, new updated low temp thermostat, new timing chains, new sliders, new tensioners, new seals, new gaskets, both cylinder heads will be professionally fully restored(sanded, resurfaced, serviced valves, new seals, pressure check), new rear main seal, new filter, new cylinder head bolts. If cylinder heads are not repairable they will be replaced.

Block will be resleeved with steel sleeve technology which completely eliminates scoring, d chunk and cracking issues for good. Our resleeved cylinders come with 5 year warranty. If anything should happen to cylinders during those 5 years MB Motorsports will repair the problem at our cost.

2003 - 996 - 87k on the clock - I’ve owned less than six months - don’t think maintenance was done as needed by previous owner. I plan on keeping this car for years to come.

Thanks

911STYL
Whats this running to have done?
Old 05-19-2018, 11:15 PM
tomcat
Burning Brakes

I'd replace the heat exchanger or at the very least the orings for the exchanger. Bank 2 chain tensioner just because it would be much more difficult if the engine was in the car. The air injector switch, and maybe the vacuum tank. Oil pressure gauge. Coolant reservoir. Metal, Porsche belt tensioners and pulleys - don’t waste your money on the Continental kit. AOS. Injectors cleaned or replaced. As mentioned, water pump.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:30 PM
911STYL
Rennlist Member

GOAL: In conjunction with the engine rebuild, I have several major upgrades that I’m traveling down a dollars and sense �� rabbit hole at a high rate of speed. At the end of the day, the car will be road worthy for many years to come, speaks to my style and has great throttle response.

ENGINE OUT PURCHASES:
  • Fister D Exhaust
  • OBX Headers
  • Starter
  • AOS
  • Oil Filler Tube
  • Water Pump
  • Coolant Expansion Tank
  • Coil Packs and Plugs
  • Clutch Kit – expensive
o DMF Flywheel
o Pressure Plate
o Clutch Disc
o Release Bearing
o Pilot Bearing

• Motor Mount – Function First $$$
  • Tranny Inserts Orange – Function First
  • Hoses
  • Is there anything else that is needed?
Future once everything settles in after the engine rebuild:

SPEED:
  • Fabspeed CAI
  • GT3 Plenum – on the fence for this one
  • ECU Tune
  • Dyno – I don’t know if both ECU and Dyno are needed to tie everything together.Can someone straighten me out on this one?
AUDIOVISUAL: I have a major audio system install planned as well. The best stuff I could afford going in and being installed by a high-end shop. Will post pics of the install hopefully. I’m excited about this mod.

INTERIOR: I also customized the interior significantly. Some of you are gonna love it and some of you are going to say it’s an abomination – LOL. I love how you guys say something is screwed up but then soften it with “but it’s your car – do what you want to do” LOL. So be kind when I post pics.

EXTERIOR: LED tail lights, HID headlights, LED third brake lights, new rims, painted calipers, on the fence about some decals and some other stuff.

SUSPENSION: Suspension is being upgraded as well. I’ve purchased some Ceika coilovers and a bunch of TRW suspension parts to lower and manage ride.

Making this 996 mine
Old 05-20-2018, 01:39 PM
911STYL
Rennlist Member

1. Long story made short - car was driven for a month with very low oil level. Smoke on startup. Tapping noise as well.
2. Dealer takes a look and gave me a $32,000.00 estimate. Engine needs to be replaced or rebuilt.
3. Wanted to keep the car so I went the rebuilt route.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:01 PM
tomcat
Burning Brakes

I don't know what MB replaces, but I would insist on new rod bushings. The bigger question is what are you doing with the heads? I'd look for a shop that will replace the guides and recut the valve seats. Be careful though, I don't believe the seats were designed to be cut so you need to find someone who knows what he is doing. If you do this, you should get the spring pressures measured to see if you need shims for the valve springs. If you have a budget for another $1,000, then new valves and springs.

Quick Reply: Engine Out Whatelse Needs to be Replaced