996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Do You Agree With the Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018 | 01:15 AM
rolex11
Pro

As for oils changes, I've posted this elsewhere but here goes again:

For those who use Mobil 1, a 5 quart container costs $24.25 including tax @ Walmart, buy 2 for $48.50.

You now have 10 quarts. Mobile twice a year has a rebate for $12 off each 5 quart container. So that's $48.50 - $24.00 = $24.50 for the ten quarts.

$24.50 / 10 = $2.45 per quart after rebate.

You'll use 9 quarts for an oil change, $2.45 x 9 = $22.05, this is your cost of oil.

I get my spin on filters @ NAPA for ~$7.50 (w/ 10% discount) plus a new crush washer $0.25.

So my oil change costs me $22.05 + $7.50 + .025 = $29.80.

I change the oil every 6 months which doubles that to $59.60 per year.

Dogs gotta go out, I'll post the website for the oil rebate when I get back.

Last edited by rolex11; 05-10-2018 at 01:37 AM.
Old 05-10-2018 | 01:44 AM
rolex11
Pro

https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil-promotions

This is the URL for the Mobil rebate. Current offer runs thru May 31st. They limit 2 per household so I use family addresses if I want more than 2. They also run a Fall promotion.

Buy the oil, snap a picture of your receipt, submit via the URL above. They have 2 options for receiving your rebate, a physical check sent to your address in 6 to 8 weeks, or an e-check sent by email which speeds up the process.

http://mobil.rebateresearch.com/

This is where you can check the status of your rebate.
Old 05-10-2018 | 09:11 AM
jbse39
Instructor

A Porsche dealer in Northern Virginia charges $500+ for oil change on a GT3, and typical independent will charge ~$250.
Old 05-10-2018 | 09:17 AM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gcthree
Thanks for the heads-up on the pop-out fix! Just ordered the piece. Seems everyone with a 996/997 needs to install this bit.

Bob
Just to be clear, you ordered the Gbox upgraded detent? I hadn't heard about this fix before so just asking. And where did you buy it?
Old 05-10-2018 | 09:42 AM
gcthree
Burning Brakes

From: Williamsburg, Virginia by way of Garden City, New York

Went over here, Jim, and ordered it. There are install instructions on their site and it appears to be surprisingly easy. Not cheap, mind you, but far less expensive than a gearbox rebuild.

http://www.gboxweb.com/detent.html

Bob
Old 05-10-2018 | 10:36 AM
rogazilla
Racer

Went over here, Jim, and ordered it. There are install instructions on their site and it appears to be surprisingly easy. Not cheap, mind you, but far less expensive than a gearbox rebuild.

http://www.gboxweb.com/detent.html

Bob
Will wait for expert to chime in as I am not one. I have not seen any bad feedback on most forum here in US but one transmission shop in UK (http://www.sportsandclassic.com/) seem to warn people on Pistonhead that they are seeing other gear gets damaged from this detent. Just providing information as I am not affiliated with any shop or anyone.

Of course just want to also mention a lot of people have good feedback on most other forums.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=48&t=883656&mid=58031&i=40&nmt=996+Gbox+detent+upgrade&m id=58031

Last edited by rogazilla; 05-10-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-10-2018 | 11:45 AM
shootermcgavin
Racer

1) find it harder to shift into 2nd when cold, don't have any issues once warm, also not encountering pop out (so far)
Old 05-10-2018 | 02:57 PM
gcthree
Burning Brakes

File this one under: "IT'S TRUE. I READ IT ON THE INTERNET!"

I just spent some time on the phone (it's amazing how well that old technology works in providing excellent communications) at GBox in Colorado. GBox is the developer/manufacturer of the 996 Shift Detent. According to Stan, they have sold close to 1,000 of these devices and can count on one hand the number of customer issues that have arisen. 'Sports and Classics' in the the PistonHeads forum is a gearbox rebuilder and would like nothing more than to rebuild your 996 gearbox and utilize modified parts in the process to effect a 2nd gear kick-out issue. GBox's Shift Detent will provide the solution at a massively lower cost and it is a fix that the average DIY'er can perform. There is no truth to the 'over-reaching' 3rd and 4th gear issue that was raised.

According to Stan, Porsche/Getrag got the tolerances every so slightly wrong and the detent compensates for that miscue. When the gearbox warms, the tolerances slightly adjust and the synchros are able to pull the gear into position. Eventually, they will not.

Stan also suggested that flushing the gearbox with ATF before putting the correct gear lube (Shell or Mobil PTX) back in will absolutely change how well the gearbox works. To flush the gearbox, fill it with ATF, run the car in place (don't drive it!) for 20 minutes, drain it, and refill with the correct lube. Here's the PTX at Suncoast Porsche: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/00004320420L.html

I will go through this process when the Detent arrives and report back-in to the group.

Bob
Old 05-10-2018 | 06:58 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Define: Old Guy?
How about 67!?
Old 05-10-2018 | 07:16 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Race Car

A transmission fluid change can help the shifting, that could be worth a try. As for the Variocam, mine clicks in at about 3200 and changes the sound and performance quite a bit.

Best way for oil and filter is to measure the amount of oil you take out, and put the exact same back in. Works like a charm with electronic dip sticks.
Old 05-10-2018 | 07:28 PM
gcthree
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
How about 67!?
Spring chicken!! That's not old!!
Old 05-11-2018 | 09:05 AM
rogazilla
Racer

File this one under: "IT'S TRUE. I READ IT ON THE INTERNET!"
Bob
As I said, I am not an expert and will let others to chime in. I also said there is no negative feedback that I hear from US side and other forums. Try to be very neutral but want to bring it to people's attention when something is recommended. Let people make their own decision. Personally I would rather have people who have installed it to share their opinion and find out how many miles they have on it and not just read it on the internet.
Old 05-11-2018 | 09:12 AM
Sula
Instructor

Originally Posted by rolex11
So my oil change costs me $22.05 + $7.50 + .025 = $29.80.
Yes.

I guess I understand why shops charge 10 times this much, but I really don't see why owners would indulge them. There's also the "hidden" cost of the time it takes to drop off the car and then collect it when work is done (which nearly always well exceeds the DIY time).

The P996 oil change is about as easy as on any car anywhere; doing it encourages you to look at other things that are worth paying attention to, and thus keeps you in better touch with your machine. So, good for your wallet, your car and your soul.

Last edited by Sula; 05-11-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-11-2018 | 09:32 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Not critical of the dealer whatsoever. Good folks. Their understanding of the car and the issues are excellent, but I wanted to see if they were consistent with the 996 community here. Porsche would never install an IMS Solution or upgrade; they must install factory parts. Same goes for the 2nd gear issue; there's nothing wrong...that is the way they all are. However, as we just witnessed here, there is an aftermarket solution for the 2nd gear pop-out and had I just accepted the dealer's explanation, I never would have learned of the aftermarket fix.

This forum is indispensable is you own a 996.
Uh, "common problem" does not = "normal behavior"... No, second gear should not grind when being engaged, and no they don't "all do that"... I can say unequivocally, mine doesn't...If you've got a stock shifter, this contributes to the "lack of positive engagement feeling"... The dealer just wants you to stop bothering them. I'm not sure why so many here would try to explain away something that's clearly "wrong"...Not uncommon, but not operating properly...
Old 05-11-2018 | 09:41 AM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Originally Posted by dporto
Uh, "common problem" does not = "normal behavior"... No, second gear should not grind when being engaged, and no they don't "all do that"... I can say unequivocally, mine doesn't...If you've got a stock shifter, this contributes to the "lack of positive engagement feeling"... The dealer just wants you to stop bothering them. I'm not sure why so many here would try to explain away something that's clearly "wrong"...Not uncommon, but not operating properly...
^^^ Couldn't agree more with the above. Only time mine grinds is when I didn't shift it properly, which I try to avoid. Otherwise it is smooth and silent..with a stock shifter.

Quick Reply: Do You Agree With the Dealer?