Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

2002 C4 Cranks No Start (Already replaced fuel pump and CPS)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 03:20 AM
JJ_W
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2002 C4 Cranks No Start (Already replaced fuel pump and CPS)

Hi guys!

This is my first post in this forum but a long time lurker. I have been learning a lot in this forum but I have an issue I'd like to discuss.

I am trying to troubleshoot my car's starting problem. It is a 2002 3.6L Carrera 4 tiptronic.

A few months ago it started to fail warm/hot starts. It would crank but wouldn't start, so I got a brand new CPS installed and it would start fine. However, over the course of a few weeks I could feel it getting harder to do warm/hot starts.

Last week, took the car to get petrol but failed to start at the station. It would crank but it wouldn't start, there was no hum in the frunk where the fuel pump is, so got it towed to get a new fuel pump installed.

Picked up the car last week Wednesday, drove fine for two days. Went to start it on Friday night (cold start) and it failed. Again, it would crank but failed to start. However, the fuel pump is working (I assume) as I can hear it hum for a couple of seconds when I turn the key to the ON position.

So, I have replaced the CPS, fuel pump, fuel pump relay seems to be fine as I can hear the pump priming. What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2018, 10:29 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

Fuel pressure regulator? Sounds like your car has a fuel delivery problem somewhere along the line. Air, spark and fuel is what makes an engine work. Check fuel pressure on the injector rails. There is a valve specifically for that purpose.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:43 PM
Tyler H
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try starting it with another key? Are you sure the battery is in good shape? Assume you've checked all the fuses, DME and FP relays?
Old 05-07-2018, 11:57 PM
JJ_W
Intermediate

Thanks guys for the replies!

My mechanic came over last night to check it out. He brought over a new fuel pump relay, we swap out the old one but no luck. I tried my other key, same situation.

He then pulled out the fuel pump he installed. When we got it out we could hear something was loose inside. Something was rattling when we shook it so something wasn't right. The pump internals would still move/make a sound when we energized it.

He took the pump away and will have a look at it on the bench, and also try to ask the place he got it from for a replacement.

I will report back!
Old 05-31-2018, 04:38 AM
JJ_W
Intermediate

Problem solved! We replaced the whole fuel pump and fuel sender assembly. Turned the key, let the pump prime the fuel lines, and it started right up. Let the car idle a couple of minutes, went out for a 15min drive, and all was fine.

The fuel sender was fine but we thought what the hell let's get a done while we were there. It was the pump that we received that was bad.

Quick Reply: 2002 C4 Cranks No Start (Already replaced fuel pump and CPS)