Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Top doesn't go down when the car is hot. Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018 | 02:02 PM
LDMF
Advanced

Default Top doesn't go down when the car is hot. Normal?

So this has happened to me twice, I have my car parked in the sun on a 80+ degree day. I get in and the top will not go down. If I drive the car for a couple of minutes the top goes right down.

My thought is that there must be a temp switch that keep the top from moving when overly hot. I have never read about this "safety" function anywhere. Or is it an odd quark, timing wise or operationally of a 19 year old car.

Thoughts?
Old 04-25-2018 | 02:15 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

I've only operated my cab a few times as I have a hard top, but I've never had it not work with high ambient temps, it always works
Old 04-25-2018 | 02:17 PM
rogazilla
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris(MA)
I've only operated my cab a few times as I have a hard top, but I've never had it not work with high ambient temps, it always works
Second that. Last summer I had it up and down in 105 degrees summer. I would guess like the other thread to click your hand brake a couple of times, maybe the heat expanded and it cause the sticking?
Old 04-25-2018 | 02:23 PM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Not normal. I've never heard of this failure mode. Maybe a limit switch that is *just* working when cold, but not actuated when hot. This could be tricky to diagnose.
Old 04-26-2018 | 07:38 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

you might want to open the top before you get into the car via the key in the drivers door method. That way you don't jump into a red hot cab. Hold the key in the lock turning and holding to the left until the top goes down. The top on mine has a mind of it's own. Not every time does it move on he inside toggle. Then after driving and trying again, this time it moves with no problems.

Quick Reply: Top doesn't go down when the car is hot. Normal?