Sponsored by:

head bolt sealants

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 11:52 AM
rocketbob
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default head bolt sealants

Prepping to pull the bank 1 head on my 996. I've seen various references for sealants to be used under the heads of the headbolts and I'm trying to figure out if the Loctite I have on hand is applicable.
So..

1. What thread locker should I use on the threads of the head bolts, or should I not? There's nothing specified in the workshop manual. I have some blue and red loctite on hand (numbers aren't handy right now.) I've seen references to green Loctite in build pictures. Should I order Loctite 270?
2. Would the same green Loctite work under the heads of the head bolts? Or would some sort of Loctite or Permatex flange sealant be more suitable? Again, nothing in the workshop manual for sealants here.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 04-05-2018, 06:25 PM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Bob
There is no sealant or threadlocker required on the cylinder head bolts, but make sure you buy new bolts , they are torque to yeald bolts and once used then removed they go in the bin!
On tightening the new bolts , there is a torque value and set sequence of tightening then you must go back through all the bolts tightening by a set angle either using an angle gauge or a torque wrench with an angle setting on it aswel as torque settings, usually the more expensive ones!! Get a copy of the porsche workshop manual on disk, look on here, there is a recent thread on the topic ok
Old 04-05-2018, 11:21 PM
leoj65
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same question on sealant under the bolt heads, I know it has been recommended. Separate from thread locker which I haven't heard recommended.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:58 AM
rocketbob
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My neighbor just gave me a shiny new Snap On digital torque wrench that does angles. Its pretty sweet!

I normally use Hylomar on the aircraft engines I've overhauled and will use that under the heads of the head bolts.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:24 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

You can lead a horse to water, butt you can't make him drink
Old 04-07-2018, 05:12 PM
sober_owl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

headbolts only need oil in threads and under heads to be torqued down properly...no sealants
Old 04-08-2018, 05:35 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,780 Likes on 2,156 Posts

No thread locker should be used on the head bolt threads. Just clean and lightly oiled. While I have seen the reference of using a sealer under the head bolt heads, the factory does not specify this.

While a couple of head bolt holes are used as passages for oil to the top end, IF they were to leak it would be only a small oil volume loss.

The bigger question is whether any leaks acure between the lifter cradle and the head,(which uses no gasket or sealer) or the crankshaft carrier and cases (which uses no gasket or sealer). Both of these areas have a large surface area and the potential for large volume leaks are there.I have never seen anyone mention sealing these areas, but have often wondered if leaks here could be the cause of some engines starving for oil on corners even on the street or street tires on track day. Large volume internal leaks could cause the volume of oil in the sump to become low due to the oil not returning fast enough.

There is no mention of sealing these areas in the Porsche Engine Class P10W. Maybe someone who has been to FSI engine class can chime in if there is any mention there. On my personal M96 engines I do very carefully seal these areas.

Quick Reply: head bolt sealants