Sponsored by:

C4S as a daily, who does it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 12:21 AM
professorman
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbojamie
I’m not sure why anyone in their right mind would want to DD a car on average 17-19 years old. There similar to driving a late 60’s early 70’s muscle car. Fun to drive here and there but hardly enjoyable daily.
Maybe some of us enjoy driving more than others? I give myself lots more work to drive, I have a fully fleet of manual transmission vehicles: 911, Accord, and CRV. I enjoy driving the 911, and it is very enjoyable driving daily, so much so that the days I don’t drive it, I wish I was driving it. The 911 is one of the few sports cars that can be daily driving. Ever heard of anyone daily driving a lambo, a Ferrari, etc? I can have lots of fun driving it.

My 911 is also right in line with all my other cars. All my cars are old. I have never had a vehicle broken down with me on the side of a road other than a flat tire.

Originally Posted by Gearhead888
Great feedback, didn't know that many of you DD these! Shooting to do a few things to mine soon...

PS2
LED upgrade for interior & exterior
Ultinon 6k headlights
Fabspeed air filter(anyone running this? Thoughts?)
Ceramic tint
PS2: I got the Fister mod and love it.
LED upgraded interior and exterior ​​​​​​: Do you know the bulb types as yet? I want to upgrade my interior and exterior lights to LED as well. My tail light is already upgraded and I love it.
Fabspeed air filter: The fabspeed is definitely better than the K&N, but I decided against air filters based on how many people sell them used and go back to stock. I do not like the idea of a sock keeping water from going in my engine. That feels a little too close to water ingestion for me.

Last edited by professorman; 04-03-2018 at 01:16 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:46 PM
peteb3
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I’m not sure why anyone in their right mind would want to DD a car on average 17-19 years old. There similar to driving a late 60’s early 70’s muscle car. Fun to drive here and there but hardly enjoyable daily.
I sincerely beg to differ, its all about the sheer joy of driving (to borrow a phrase from the Bavarians), and the 996 offers that in heapfulls

I'd rather drive my 17 yr old C4S than any modern ipad on wheels, if you enjoy driving you know exactly what I mean

It is really that good, but shhh, don't tell anyone, let them keep thinking the 996 is not worth it, just means the rest of us will have that twinkle in our eyes, grin on our face, and spring in our step and they won't
Old 04-03-2018, 05:49 PM
peteb3
Racer

Originally Posted by Gearhead888
Great feedback, didn't know that many of you DD these! Shooting to do a few things to mine soon...

PS2
LED upgrade for interior & exterior
Ultinon 6k headlights
Fabspeed air filter(anyone running this? Thoughts?)
Ceramic tint

Then who knows! lol
PS2 - do it, its a must
LEDs - great upgrade, great easy DIY
6K headlights - im happy with my factory litronics
Fabspeed intake - have it, nice sound, cleans up engine bay, bit $$$

also recommend an exhaust - whatever flavor you like - 997GT3RS short shift, maybe some suspension updates, motor mounts.....its a slippery slope but so much fun and so so worth it
Old 04-04-2018, 10:01 AM
Gearhead888
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by peteb3
PS2 - do it, its a must
LEDs - great upgrade, great easy DIY
6K headlights - im happy with my factory litronics
Fabspeed intake - have it, nice sound, cleans up engine bay, bit $$$

also recommend an exhaust - whatever flavor you like - 997GT3RS short shift, maybe some suspension updates, motor mounts.....its a slippery slope but so much fun and so so worth it
I have the PSE on mine, plenty happy with the exhaust note!
Old 04-04-2018, 07:56 PM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I sincerely beg to differ, its all about the sheer joy of driving (to borrow a phrase from the Bavarians), and the 996 offers that in heapfulls

I'd rather drive my 17 yr old C4S than any modern ipad on wheels, if you enjoy driving you know exactly what I mean

It is really that good, but shhh, don't tell anyone, let them keep thinking the 996 is not worth it, just means the rest of us will have that twinkle in our eyes, grin on our face, and spring in our step and they won't
Hmmm I own an Audi R8 arguably the best DD super car made yet I wouldn’t want to DD. Interesting takes from various folks here. I’d rather DD my F350 platinum
Old 04-04-2018, 09:03 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

Hmmm I own an Audi R8 arguably the best DD super car made yet I wouldn’t want to DD. Interesting takes from various folks here. I’d rather DD my F350 platinum
I'd imagine a lot of it comes down to where you live and the age of the driver. Daily driving in LA is probably a lot less enjoyable than daily driving in a rural area. In addition, age begins to become a factor getting in and out of a lower vehicle multiple times a day, on a daily basis.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:30 PM
peteb3
Racer

Originally Posted by professorman

Maybe some of us enjoy driving more than others? I give myself lots more work to drive, I have a fully fleet of manual transmission vehicles: 911, Accord, and CRV. I enjoy driving the 911, and it is very enjoyable driving daily, so much so that the days I don’t drive it, I wish I was driving it. The 911 is one of the few sports cars that can be daily driving. Ever heard of anyone daily driving a lambo, a Ferrari, etc? I can have lots of fun driving it.

My 911 is also right in line with all my other cars. All my cars are old. I have never had a vehicle broken down with me on the side of a road other than a flat tire.

PS2: I got the Fister mod and love it.
LED upgraded interior and exterior ​​​​​​: Do you know the bulb types as yet? I want to upgrade my interior and exterior lights to LED as well. My tail light is already upgraded and I love it.
Fabspeed air filter: The fabspeed is definitely better than the K&N, but I decided against air filters based on how many people sell them used and go back to stock. I do not like the idea of a sock keeping water from going in my engine. That feels a little too close to water ingestion for me.

try this for LED bulbs

https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Light...r-LED-Kit.html
Old 04-05-2018, 02:43 PM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 158 Posts

I'd rather drive my 17 yr old C4S than any modern ipad on wheels
I agree for when I'm in the mood. but there are some days I just don't want to shift gears or have a harsh ride, so I drive my X5.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:16 AM
professorman
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

That is exactly why the 996 is great. When I think about what car I want to move to next, I realize that I hit my upper limit of a 911 turbo, purely because it is the only car I would want to daily drive. I do not want a weekender car. I want a car I can enjoy all year round. That is like having a supermodel girlfriend who only visits on occasional weekends. I want fun-mode all the time, or at least not limited. If I could not daily drive a Porsche, I'd be living in BMW land.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:08 AM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

^^^^pretty much sums it up. i split time between my bmw and the c4s, but my BMW is on coilovers and has a cam, so I either drive the fun car, or a i drive the fun car.

but at the end of the day, it's all about where you live i suppose -- doesn't matter how fun the car if you don't enjoy the drive. i just do what i can to make every road fun.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:38 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 440 Likes on 283 Posts

Mine's a C2, not C4. But, it's been my DD since the day I bought it. I bought it to enjoy, not to preserve it for the next guy.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:03 PM
RSBro
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 81 Posts

I don't yet, but, I will by this fall. I have an RX350 that handles other duties when we need more room. I'm buying the wifey a new Q7 next winter so when that happens this will be my only ride. Should be interesting!
Old 04-17-2018, 01:11 PM
6L6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've owned my 2002 Cab w/6sp Manual tranny for a little over two years now and used it as my DD. It has performed flawlessly! I put the top down just about every day as weather here in the San Francisco area allows that.

The only place I went wrong was putting on Michelin Pilot Sport Cup II's when i bought it. VERY noisy for a 1000 miles or so on everything except new blacktop. Next time I'll buy Michelin again, but a different model designed more for daily road use.

Like most cars, these 996's are happiest when they are driven regularly.

Bill
Old 04-20-2018, 05:23 PM
91One
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jllphan
^^^^pretty much sums it up. i split time between my bmw and the c4s, but my BMW is on coilovers and has a cam, so I either drive the fun car, or a i drive the fun car.

but at the end of the day, it's all about where you live i suppose -- doesn't matter how fun the car if you don't enjoy the drive. i just do what i can to make every road fun.
My commute is 45 mins of bumper to bumper freeway SLOW driving... which unfortunately means my C4S isn't that enjoyable as a DD, and also makes me nervous about putting "bad" wear & tear on it. Yet I still drive it once or twice on weekdays and try to maximize enjoyment during the weekends. Oh, and no winter driving, either...
Old 04-23-2018, 01:14 AM
mlee2122
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been DD my 2002 for the past 14 months and loving every minute of it. I bought the Porsche to drive it and not to stare at it and watch it sit in my garage....although i do time to time just hang out in the garage are stare at it and just enjoy the view of my 996 sitting in my garage.

I have done a bunch of mods that effect daily driving... i.e..... clutch spring mod, H&R coilovers along,19" low profile tires, function first engine and tranny mounts, headers, X-pipe 200 cell cats, PSE exhaust, short shifter, double din stereo with backup camera and custom 12" subwoofer, oil pan windage tray, slotted only brake rotors, hawk performance brake pads, i know there's several other mods i'm forgetting.

I've always had manual vehicles and just used driving in heavy traffic so it doesn't bother me. I drive on weekends my '68 Chevelle with a very heavy clutch and thats a beast to drive in cruises and heavy traffic. I used to think the Chevelles clutch was too heavy and after doing the clutch spring mod on the 996 and daily driving that my leg have gotten used to heavy clutches that the Chevelles clutch no longer feels heavy.

Anyway even with all the above mentioned mods i love DD my Porsche on my 45 minutes with no traffic and 1+ hour with traffic commute in the Portland Metro area. I seriously thought about buying a new Toyota Camry as my DD and decided on the 2002 Porsche C4S..... haven't regretted one second of it. It definitely helps being able to do my own work on the Porsche. I knew it wasn't going to be about being able to buy the Porsche but being able to afford the cost of maintaining it. With the exception of a full engine rebuild i'm confident i can handle pretty much what the Porsche may throw at me so i'm not afraid about DD and the typical wear and tear that it intails.

Bottom line I DD and enjoy the heck out of it!!!!

Quick Reply: C4S as a daily, who does it?