996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Poorman's Adjustable PSE Hack

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 07:36 PM
essjayarr
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I installed the mufflers this week with the dampers just barely open as in the previous photos. They are much quieter now, so it does what I hoped for.
I'll report back in a few thousand miles and report back on how the JBWeld has held up.
The ones here, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Exhaust-Con...97.m4902.l9144 posted by The Radium King look like they would work nicely if you can weld the aluminum housing to the stainless pipe and make them a manual adjust.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:45 PM
essjayarr
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Poorman's Adjustable PSE Hack...Update!

1/4-20 hardware in stainless steel

Before tack weld

Welded up and ready to install

In the closed position. Not pretty, but it works!
Well, as we expected. The JB Weld did not hold up and about 75% of it came loose.
I bought some stainless welding wire and decided to weld the slots closed. I also swapped out all the parts for stainless steel pieces. I could not find a stainless threaded thumbscrew, so instead just used a a stainless 1/4-20 bolt and welded a stainless wing nut to it.
Another thing I did different was rather than cut the shank of the bolt in half and split it to slide over the stainless fender washer, I used a dremel with a cut off wheel and cut a slot in the shank. The slot was cut long enough to slide the stainless fender washer through, then tack weld it.
Here are some pics. Please excuse the ugly welding. I'm working on that and no I did not use metric size hardware...

Quick Reply: Poorman's Adjustable PSE Hack